Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NSRA consultation on membership

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    What I'm saying is I'm already a member of a club and already have insurance. I can not see how the NSRA would make me pay them for membership and for their insurance. I would say they can not enforce it. The NSRA does not write law.
    The only thing they could do is tell clubs you are not affiliated to us unless you require your members to pay us for membership and you can not take place in our comps unless your members pay up - i.e. they would have to have the club be their enforcers rather than enforce it themselves. Some clubs might say 'no thanks' and the whole thing could backfire.
    They need to be really careful. The motivation for this appears to be they are a failing organisation in terms of membership and income. The long term answer to that is not to try to make people pay it is to do things people want to pay for and probably to cut waste. I'm a non NSRA member but belong to an affliated FT club (for insurance purposes I think).
    That's exactly the proposal. The NSRA makes it a condition of affiliation that the club registers all members. Just as RFU Clubs (even down the bottom at Lvl 12) have to register their players and ArcheryGB sign up all members automatically (at a cost of £47/head).

Your club has the choice to go off and affiliate to NRA if it prefers. It is a choice for the club to make - if the majority of the club vote in favour of it then you have the choice to go along with the group or find another club - just as if the committee proposed a £35 increase in subs and the AGM approved it. You would have the choice to pay the raised subs or find a new club. Of course the NRA may follow suit, in which case you simply get a choice of which way to affiliate.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    Some clubs might say 'no thanks' and the whole thing could backfire.
    They need to be really careful. The motivation for this appears to be they are a failing organisation in terms of membership and income. The long term answer to that is not to try to make people pay it is to do things people want to pay for and probably to cut waste. I'm a non NSRA member but belong to an affliated FT club (for insurance purposes I think).
    The clubs that would say "no thanks" are likely ones with few to no individual members already anyway. Club Affiliations account for less than 25% of the NSRA's "Membership Income". Losing a few club affiliations is not a problem if they sign up sufficient members at other clubs.

They have ~800 affiliated clubs at the moment. My back-of-a-napkin maths suggests that they only need ~300 clubs to sign up to this to break-even with their current income (which shows just how pitifully they are being funded by the community at the moment).

Given that this is a preliminary proposal and requires refinement, there's a lot of scope for developing buy-in. FT Clubs are basically unaccounted for at the moment and I agree entirely that the NSRA do a very poor job looking after FT (though they obviously also need to avoid stepping on the toes of the BFTA, it's a unique arrangement of being separate but cooperative which is not working quite right at the moment). If they sat down and were able to work out a sensible and mutually-acceptable deal with the BFTA then that's immediately 70-odd clubs signing up their membership. There are a few gaping holes in their plan which - if filled - make the whole endeavour look fairly sensible. If BFTA want to go off and do their own insurance again, then they can - but they stopped doing it precisely because it was a PITA and the NSRA were able to get them a better deal. I've seen a few comments along the lines of "the NRA and NSRA does sod all for clubs". As far as cartridge shooting goes, your clubs would not exist without the NRA and NSRA because you wouldn't have insurance-acceptable range construction/maintenance guidelines, which means you wouldn't be able to get insurance, which means no sane person would ever volunteer to run a club and personally shoulder the liability risk!

I fully agree the NSRA have taken rather a stick (not carrot) approach over the last few years and been woefully uninventive and uninspiring. I have reason to be tentatively hopeful that this is changing given some recent significant changes on the Board of Management though I continue to have doubts about the CEO. Obviously they need to walk the walk and prove themselves to the community and I continue to beat them with a stick on a regular basis.

But I also think this is the way forward for the sport. You can't expect to be represented in Parliament or have the NSRA fight off airgun licensing if you don't join them. The sport has to pay for that. YOU AND I have to pay for that.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

In years gone by when we used to travel around to shoot HFT at different clubs we were only visitors, not club members so I wonder how the NSRA and/or clubs will manage that? A drastic rise in the cost of a shoot as a visitor? No doubt this would increase the admin load already taken by the volunteers. I can see clubs losing members and visitors if this all comes about. Let's hope common sense prevails and the proposal is dropped.
    Cheers, Phil

Hemmers, what you say is all well and good but the NSRA are pretty much coming at his from the argument of

“ we’ve performed poorly, planned badly, not communicated well, so you’re going to have to give us your money and trust us”

Not a good message.

My support for the NSRA and the LRC went out the window when i enquired about having some one to one coaching , it was as if i’d asked for a night of physical excess with the female family members of all at the nsra.

There is really no argument for having the NRA and the NSRA, i’ve only used bisley regularly as an NRA member for the last 10 years, i think the place has changed for the better, but the predictable and endless response from those that have much more history with the place is that it should be as it was 30 years ago and with that the shutters come down.

We don’t live in the world of 30 years ago, the NRA have taken this on board and are getting the job done the NSRA need to also move with the times. £35 a year to participate in your chosen pass time is negligible its not the cost that riles people its the way its being suggested and the view that there will be nothing of any real benefit for it, it’ll be seen as a subsidy that allows the NSRA to continue as it is.

Only massive reform is going to alter that viewpoint, “the fund us and we’ll sort it out “ message ain’t going to cut it. Its only chance of working is if clubs decide to go along with it and yet expect nothing in return. Upcoming club AGM’s are going to be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    In years gone by when we used to travel around to shoot HFT at different clubs we were only visitors, not club members so I wonder how the NSRA and/or clubs will manage that? A drastic rise in the cost of a shoot as a visitor? No doubt this would increase the admin load already taken by the volunteers. I can see clubs losing members and visitors if this all comes about. Let's hope common sense prevails and the proposal is dropped.
    Cheers, Phil
    It’s very straightforward, if you are a member of an affiliated club you will have a NSRA Membership number. Subject to local rules and payment of a visitor’s range fee you will be able to shoot at other affiliated clubs. Clubs that choose not to affiliate will have to make their own arrangements.

Rutty

Quote: '£35 a year to participate in your chosen pass time is negligible ...' Maybe, but maybe not if it is in addition to the club membership fee.

As for having an NSRA Membership number from your own club ... what about people who are not members of any club but just turn up as a visitor? Is the plan that all shooters must be NSRA members and that a club membership fee has to include the NSRA fee as well? If so, I can see clubs losing members and casual shooters. Which in the long run could begin to hit (no pun intended) organised competitions, the airgun trade and possibly the magazines devoted to airguns.

I am not asking for detailed answers, just putting down my own first thoughts on matters that will need clarification.

Cheers, Phil

Quote: '£35 a year to participate in your chosen pass time is negligible ...' Maybe, but maybe not if it is in addition to the club membership fee.

As for having an NSRA Membership number from your own club ... what about people who are not members of any club but just turn up as a visitor? Is the plan that all shooters must be NSRA members and that a club membership fee has to include the NSRA fee as well? If so, I can see clubs losing members and casual shooters. Which in the long run could begin to hit (no pun intended) organised competitions, the airgun trade and possibly the magazines devoted to airguns.

I am not asking for detailed answers, just putting down my own first thoughts on matters that will need clarification.

Cheers, Phil
    The problem is that we just cannot go on as we are. The old blokes may bump their gums about an extra £35 but they won’t be around for long anyway. I can say that as I am older than most and have been shooting for 60 years. Those coming in will just accept it as it is what happens in other sports.

The membership number will not be from your club, it will be from the NSRA. You will now be a member of the association that is the National Governing Body (NGB) of the sport, i.e. it is recognised as such by Sport UK. If someone is not a member of an affiliated club, or any club, there’s nothing to stop them taking out individual membership of the NSRA. They will then have the benefits of membership, be supporting the sport and will be able to participate in the activities of affiliated clubs as a visitor or casual shooter; subject to the normal provisos. To put it simply, no pay, no play; the days of the free ride are over.

Anyone who doesn’t want to support the sport in a tangible way is quite a liberty to go and make their own arrangements with like minded bodies and individuals, no one will stop them. As for the airgun trade and magazines, the last time I looked they were in business to make money, it’s in their interests to support the NGB.

It’s time to face reality and accept that if we don’t support the NGBs financially (i.e. NSRA, NRA or CPSA; BASC is not a NGB) then we run the risk of sport shooting becoming unviable.

Finally, why should those of us who have been NGB members for many years continue to subsidise those who can’t be bothered?

Rutty

Quote:

Cheers, Phil
    Such as what exactly is "Bronze Membership" ?? their website only mentions their normal annual membership, pay your money and you are just a payment number on the balance sheet?

Quote Originally Posted by Rutty View Post
    It’s very straightforward, if you are a member of an affiliated club you will have a NSRA Membership number. Subject to local rules and payment of a visitor’s range fee you will be able to shoot at other affiliated clubs. Clubs that choose not to affiliate will have to make their own arrangements.

Rutty
    If you are not a member of a club... them.private insurance such as BASC or SACs etc will probably cover this activity so you need to check or ask before you take cover.
    If they are insured for the activity then this is all that is required.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

It will be a very sad day if the NSRA proceed with this. They are backward looking and disorganised. They will d4ag things down not progress things.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Rutty View Post

Rutty
    With the best will in the world if the NSRA can't even communicate these ideas with their existing members and affiliates what is the precedent for that being acheived?

Unless the clubs are able to hook into a dynamic database that verifies membership at the point of entry then that system simply won't work.

I still oppose this compulsory membership idea.
    As Phil Russell notes, many shooters of FT pay a day fee and are not necessarily members of any club.
    This idea just feels like an attempt by NSRA to prop up its failing finances that have resulted from decades of mistakes and mismanagement. Let's not even mention the Colonel and his son in Northern Cyprus...
    It's not like I just slag off all shooting organisations. BASC and NRA do things a lot better than NSRA and I speak as an NSRA member.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    I've stopped reading everything in full now, but what I am getting overall is some real arrogance from those that seem to be supporting this move. I especially object to the suggestion that the over sixties can go and swivel as they'll soon die anyway. It is offensive and objectionable. I'm not over sixty for the record.

If you are indeed involved with the NSRA, because it appears that we're supposed to be able to tell, you are doing them no favours whatsoever.

Shooting is rife with snobbery, and in this day and age it needs removing. We're all in it for the same reasons and should be supporting each other.

As I've said, I'm very new to this and not aware of the history behind the organisation. The staff I've dealt with that administer the club affiliation and look after us have been excellent.

Perhaps it's time for a sweep and they were left to deal with the bigger picture, they certainly seem to have better people skills.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Yes. The admin staff are very good and the comps are well run. NSRA badly manages publicity, public relations and politics. The result for them is social media threads like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Artiglio View Post
    Hemmers, what you say is all well and good but the NSRA are pretty much coming at his from the argument of

“ we’ve performed poorly, planned badly, not communicated well, so you’re going to have to give us your money and trust us”

Not a good message.
    I don't believe they have. It is true they have performed poorly, planned badly and not communicated well (although I would ask you to look at the sea-change over the past 18months. They used to update the website once every six weeks. Now it's multiple times a week. They use Facebook. But they also still have their knickers in a twist over GDPR and thinking it stops them sending emails).

This is one change in a raft of proposed changes that are coming through the pipeline now that certain people are no longer on the BoM.

My support for the NSRA and the LRC went out the window when i enquired about having some one to one coaching , it was as if i’d asked for a night of physical excess with the female family members of all at the nsra.
    Sorry, I don't understand. Why would you ask the NSRA for 1-to-1 coaching? That makes no more sense than asking BritishCycling for some 1-to-1 time with Chris Hoy. Surely you would ask your local club for some coaching?

There is really no argument for having the NRA and the NSRA, i’ve only used bisley regularly as an NRA member for the last 10 years, i think the place has changed for the better, but the predictable and endless response from those that have much more history with the place is that it should be as it was 30 years ago and with that the shutters come down.
    I agree fully. As Rutty has mentioned, there have been numerous attempts to merge. These have generally been shut down or sidelined by the NRA, not the NSRA. Make of that what you will.

As you say, we don't know do we. We're just people on the internet. That's why this is a preliminary proposal and they need (constructive) feedback with suggestions

For most NSRA clubs (.22) people wandering in isn't a thing - there are conditions of Home Office Approval, Probationary periods, Guest Days, etc. You might have members who are plinkers, but not so much "casual shooters" who wander in and shoot on a one-off basis.

By contrast, FT/HFT (and Bell Target) are able to operate in a much more casual/flexible manner by virtue of being airgun and not having HOA Conditions to abide by. They can set their own rules and operating procedures. So that needs to be pointed out to them along with suggestions as to preferred approaches. Incidentally, if you want to keep it that way, then the NSRA needs the resources to oppose Airgun Licensing and the imposition of Home Office Approval on "Approved Airgun Clubs" in England and Wales... As a back-of-a-napkin calculation, if the average club affiliation is £150 and there are ~70 FT clubs in the UK, that's an annual income of £10,500. What precisely does anyone expect the NSRA to achieve with that sort of money? You can't employ an intern with that, much less a full-time PR person or policy advocate.

Quote Originally Posted by bezzer View Post
    Such as what exactly is "Bronze Membership" ?? their website only mentions their normal annual membership, pay your money and you are just a payment number on the balance sheet?
    It's one of three proposed membership tiers included in a presentation that was made to Shooting Council. It won't be in the membership section of the website because it doesn't exist and wouldn't be offered until at least 2021. But it would be the basic tier of membership, eligibility for NSRA competitions, vote at AGMs, liability insurance and a small level of kit insurance and funding representative PR/Political work. The basic stuff that all participants should be contributing to (whether NRA, NSRA or BASC).

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    I've stopped reading everything in full now, but what I am getting overall is some real arrogance from those that seem to be supporting this move. I especially object to the suggestion that the over sixties can go and swivel as they'll soon die anyway. It is offensive and objectionable. I'm not over sixty for the record.

If you are indeed involved with the NSRA, because it appears that we're supposed to be able to tell, you are doing them no favours whatsoever.

Shooting is rife with snobbery, and in this day and age it needs removing. We're all in it for the same reasons and should be supporting each other.

As I've said, I'm very new to this and not aware of the history behind the organisation. The staff I've dealt with that administer the club affiliation and look after us have been excellent.

Perhaps it's time for a sweep and they were left to deal with the bigger picture, they certainly seem to have better people skills.

Dave
    I don't know if you're referring to any of my comments but there is no intention at snobbery.

There is a major issue with the NSRA that once upon a time it just dealt with .22. Over the years it has piecemeal acquired Airgun, Pistol (when the NPA collapsed after 1997), Match Crossbow and now has a cooperative relationship with FT/HFT where clubs affiliate for insurance but BFTA/UKHFT actually run the disciplines. The delegation of duties is possibly not as well-defined as it could be. It has generally lost focus and is now doing a lot of things badly (or not at all) as it struggles to keep all the plates spinning. A combination of embezzlement ~2004 and some dubious management decisions over the past 20 years have left them in a sorry state (the NRA of course were no better until Mercer started putting noses out of joint).

I have criticised the NSRA relentlessly. I have this suspicion they have a dartboard with my face on it in the HQ.

But I also recognise that it is nonsensical for people to say "The NSRA and NRA do naff all for us" but then expect those bodies to go and oppose things like airgun licensing. Someone has to pay for that work, and currently that someone is a mere 15k of the 60k club shooters. As in most sports, everybody should contribute to one of the NGBs.

I don't have an issue with old shooters. I do have an issue with carpetbaggers who would be quite happy to run their clubs down, cash-out for personal profit and then join another club down the road because they only shoot once a month anyway. Yes, they exist (in small numbers). Yes, I've come across them. Funnily those people tend to leave clubs when they become CASC and there is no prospect of assets being divided amongst members... The clubs seem to run a lot smoother and more positively without them as well! IME those people do tend to be over 60 and should FOAD - their membership fee is easily replaced by new members when their toxic influence is removed. But we also have plenty of retirees who put enormous effort into running and improving clubs. My issue is with carpetbaggers, not over-60s. Those groups just happen to overlap quite heavily on the Venn Diagram.

Regardless of age, if someone doesn't think the sport has more than 10years in it and consistently votes against improving their club or investing in facilities then I have to ask why they're still hanging around. We don't need them.

I want the NSRA to buck up their ideas and actually represent the disciplines they claim to. I want them to modernise. I also recognise that needs finance and they don't have a bunch of tenants to beat up like the NRA do!

If people don't want to buy into that then they are free to join another Association or set up their own. Unlike Archery, there is a choice! I think it would be an enormous shame if the FT clubs decided that BFTA needed to go and source insurance for them again so they could go their own way - but it's also possible that the split might leave FT with a dedicated organisation serving it's members better and the NSRA might be able to focus on it's remaining clubs better to mutual benefit. That's a situation that should be avoided. We need to consolidate - but two bodies doing a really good job in their respective fields is arguably better than one body doing a really bad job and at the end of the day, the NSRA answers to its members - not the people opting out. If the members decide they no longer want to subsidise people who are opting not to contribute... then that's entirely their right. And you can have your voice heard by joining!

Don't get me wrong, I beat up the NSRA at every opportunity. They need to offer a lot more carrot along with the stick. I would love to see them own their failings - I see a lot of excuses "It's very difficult, we're understaffed". Yeah whatever, it's always difficult, it's always a busy year. I want to see them admit "Yeah, okay. We have failed, we have woefully underserved the sport for 20 years... but this is how we're going to get to where we need to be".

But the current situation is not sustainable so anyone who wants to keep trying the same thing over again is barking up the wrong tree. Only 25% of shooters contribute to their bodies I cannot fathom why anyone thinks that is okay. Pay peanuts, get monkeys (not a reflection on individual staff, merely the reality of running an NGB on less than a shoestring and the resultant overall quality of service). They're trying to do something different and it's not just this. There are other changes in the air - this just happens to be the one that got leaked
    Last edited by Hemmers; 10-12-2019 at 11:37 AM.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

I am the secretary of a club in the Highlands (Air, Small-bore, Full-bore, Canon, Muzzle loaded etc.), can you please tell me what benefit being a member of the NSRA would be to us???
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!