Thread: Bentley(?) 16 bore pinfire shotgun

Bentley(?) 16 bore pinfire shotgun

Recently bought what I was told is a Bentley 16 bore Pinfire shotgun. Looks to be in good condition, there is pitting in the barrels but not the worst I have seen on a pinfire shotgun. A few chips in the wood here and there but overall its in good condition.

It was sold as a "Bentley" but I am not 100% sure, the makers marks on the locks are worn and can barely make them out, it could be a Bentley (There were a few Bentley gun makers in the 1800s I have found) but I cant say for sure that is what the markings says. Maybe someone else on here with better eyesight than me could help decipher the markings.

The barrels have a proof (BP under a crown) which I believe shows that the gun was made after 1856. There is another marking under the breech on the hinge and looks to be a crown with two crossing scepters and a small V, not sure on what this one means. (Edit: Just found that this was a Birmingham view mark from 1813-1904)

The other markings on the barrel are 16 (16 bore) more Crown, scepters and V markings, and what is probably the serial number.

Not taken the locks off to see if there are any marking on them, dont really want to since I dont want to mess anything up since the locks seem to work like new. Very nice and tight, hammers hold at half cock as they should and hammers are strong with plenty of force when the trigger is pulled (No dry firing, just easing it down with my thumb of course).

Barrels look straight (They might be Damascus?) and it still has its original finish by the looks of it.

Overall would make a fine piece on the wall and who knows, one day I might put it on a ticket and shoot it (After getting it checked out by a professional of course!).

So looks to be a nice British pinfire shotgun, not 100% on the maker but I have taken a load of photos of the gun, and some of the locks so if anyone has any ideas as to who made this gun, do please tell.

Here are the images:

https://imgur.com/gallery/WVVH6FI

Cheers
    Last edited by Huttles94; 19-12-2019 at 12:15 PM.

your 16 bore pinfire shotgun was most likely made by David Bentley Gun and Pistol maker New Church Street Birmingham between 1845 -1849.
    The proof marks are Birmingham post 1813.
    Joseph Bentley is recorded as a pistol maker Birmingham & Liverpool all his patents were for pistols so I guess he didn't make shotguns.
    Bentley & Playfair of Birmingham are unlikely to have made it as Charles Playfair would have also had his name on it as well.