Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discovery scopes

Discovery scopes

Hi , would like to hear your views on these ,
    Optics especially thanks in advance

Scope

I had a 3-12x44 sfp compact, it was a nice scope, decent glass, nice reticle. Quite light with it being the compact. I was tempted to put one on my old hw77 but I’m just waiting to see what the new compact optisan is like first. They’re a decent scope, I’d go with one from sureshot than importing a cheaper one direct from China. I’m not convinced they’re all proper ones.

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    They are decent for the price. Have seen a lot that have been purchased direct from China and none of them were any different from those purchased in the UK.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Thanks looking at the ones from China myself, had to on order but cancelled it due to the virus, and they said not sure when they can ship again, but look good for the money

Hi
    Today I have checked one(4-16X44 SF) if is usable for hft. Picture is good , clarity and resolution are good (better then other China scopes) but they suffer from massive parallax error.
    I have set sf to 25 and at 45 yards, when i moved my head, I was easily going out of 40mm kill without any indication from scope.
    For plinking or hunting, if you adjust sf, they good. One advice, go for as plain cross as possible.
    Personally I wouldn't buy one coz 1. Warranty 2.Price.
    Cheers.

I’ve been looking for a ffp discovery scope on ?? but they're quoting June as a delivery date 😦. Anybody know of a place with stock in the uk?

Cool Discovery scopes

Hi,
    I recently bought a Vector optics 4-16x44 Veyron, similar dimensions to the Discovery Compact. It is also made in China but has a US marketing website. I contacted their sales and they said they would also do free delivery to the UK but advised me that their products usually met with a customs surcharge on entering UK. I shopped around and found the same scope on for the price I would pay plus import tax which was £200, scope was received in 2 days and has a 5 year warranty which will be honoured by a UK retailer!

@Shooter22 I have the Discovery HD34 3-18x50 FFP, a superb scope with a very sharp/crisp reticle even at full mag!

FYI for more info, I included this scope in our four-scope comparison review >here< (using a PARD007 recording through-scope), plus there's a Flickr album accompanying my Airgun World magazine review of that scope (Summer 2019 issue) >here< (the latter includes my earlier bodge efforts at photographing how the reticle looks on each different zoom value).

Cheers. Russ
    Independent writer/reviewer/pest-controller: Airgun World and YouTube.
    New for 2019 - YouTube, Instagram and Facebook: RussDouglas222
    Flickr albums (accompanying each article): RussDouglasAGW

Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    They are decent for the price. Have seen a lot that have been purchased direct from China and none of them were any different from those purchased in the UK.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    I did wonder if the ones direct from China were copies? Have been looking for a compact scope and the direct ones are much cheaper than UK stock, which made me suspicious. Have had one yourself from China Dave?

I took a punt and bought a VT-1, 3-9x40 from t'bay. I researched it a bit and found the exact same model in their range, but a little older, circa 2016'ish, which was having some impact and recoil tests. It was sub £60 delivered, now just have to wait and see what it's like when it turns up.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    I had one but it did not suit my eyes when paper punching, it was fine on spinners and backgrounds etc., but it just lacked sharpness for using it with it's highest mag (X25) on paper which is a lot of what I do. I consider them a budget scope now I've had one and would prefer using a Hawke for the extra money it takes to get the equivalent model from them, but everything has a price point and you have to be realistic in your expectations.
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Ive got a 1-6x24 LPVO which was on my AK47, nice optic at 1-3 power, over that it had a bit of distortion, kind of like a fish eye effect. Has a great reticle though, something different from everything else. It did track well and is now safely on my .22 Sig.
    For the price its a great scope.
    Not where I got it from, but to show the reticle https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32948556093.html
    BSA Mercury .22, Steyr SSG69, Enfield No4 Mk1*, Schmeisser AR15 Ultramatch, 1938 Mauser KKW K98 Trainer.

I have a VT-2 3-12x44 SFIR which I bought from a UK retailer. Nice crisp optics, nice controls (although a little stiff to start with) and an excellent fine half mildot reticle (though it may be too fine for some).
    Optics are sharp and clear. It came with flip up covers, sun shade, and mounts. In terms of overall diameter the objective end of the scope is the same as a Nikko Mountmaster 3-9x40 even though it's a 44 objective lens.
    One thing some may not like is the entire reticle illuminates not just the central portion though that doesn't bother me.

I'm very happy with mine and would buy another Discovery scope quite happily. I have my eye on a compact 3-12x44 FFP Discovery HD at the moment....

my mate has one from china its got nice glass

I purchased a Discovery VT-R 4- 16x40 a fixed focus job direct from the RoC. Its not a patch on other RoC scopes I have, the lenses are fuzzy at their edges and the turrets are crap. Normally I buy Visionking, Vector Optics or Canis Latrans, however, I wanted that particular spec which none of the others did at that time so you live and learn the hard way.