Thread: Original V Reproduction.

Original V Reproduction.

I was wondering if anybody was lucky enough to have regularly shot an original muzzle loading revolver as well as a reproduction model and what the main differences were in their use.

I would love to own and shoot an original Remington NMA revolver, but the financial implications and presumably much greater necessity to completely strip and clean the gun after every single use would be just too onerous. I love shooting my reproductions, but there would be something very special about shooting an original.

The only original I possess is an 1849 Colt Pocket revolver which is in good enough condition to shoot, but probably not worth putting on my FAC due to the above considerations.

Brian

All I know is that having shot an original Colt .36 Navy revolver and good quality replica on the same day, the original has a certain feel about it - when cocking - that no replica can duplicate. Same with long arms - I have yet to find ANY brand of replica, and that includes the much-missed Parker-Hale versions, that has that same sharp 'clickety-snick' to the action when cocking it like any of my Sniders do. The worst of them is better than any repro I've ever fired.