Thread: Ruger Old Army Shotgun Primer Conversion

Ruger Old Army Shotgun Primer Conversion

I’m looking at getting a set of the conversion nipples to use shotgun primers in my ROA.

First off any recommendations where to buy a set?

What are the implications to the powder charge? I’ve heard they can’t be loaded with as much.

All advice much appreciated.

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    I’m looking at getting a set of the conversion nipples to use shotgun primers in my ROA.

First off any recommendations where to buy a set?

What are the implications to the powder charge? I’ve heard they can’t be loaded with as much.

All advice much appreciated.

Cheers
    Greg
    Do a search - this was covered less than three weeks ago in an immense amount of detail.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Do a search - this was covered less than three weeks ago in an immense amount of detail.
    Thanks, maybe I'm being numb but I can't find anything. There is a thread about a ROA nitro conversion if that's what you meant?

I'm interested in using shotgun primers with black powder, not nitro.

Cheers
    Greg

Thanks, maybe I'm being numb but I can't find anything. There is a thread about a ROA nitro conversion if that's what you meant? I'm interested in using shotgun primers with black powder, not nitro.
    Cheers Greg
    Ahah! I see, sorry, I've not heard of anybody converting to shotgun primers to stay with shooting BP. I'm a mite confused as to why the charges should be reduced. Can you tell me why that should be?

Here is a link to the Anvil Conversions website which provides all you really need to know about this option.

http://anvilconversions.co.uk/index_files/Page13768.htm

I have a Ruger Old Army converted to nitro by a different company which was a bit inconsistent in ignition, so I tried using a small charge of Hogden 777 powder behind .457 ball and of course 209 shotgun primers. The result is a totally reliable and accurate load which is very comfortable to shoot. The cylinder has of course been nitro proofed and machined to take the 209 primers rather than them being accommodated in the replacement nipples themselves resulting in a much stronger arrangement. The 209 primers are more reliable, cheaper and easier to fit than conventional percussion caps so a no brainer for me anyway. I have no association with Anvil Conversions other than being a very satisfied customer as I also have one of their Ubert Remington 1858 nitro conversion revolvers which allows for indoor range use as many clubs insist on nitro only.

I can't comment on the use of black powder with this arrangement as I have only ever used a substitute, so proceed with caution.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Ahah! I see, sorry, I've not heard of anybody converting to shotgun primers to stay with shooting BP. I'm a mite confused as to why the charges should be reduced. Can you tell me why that should be?
    The charges need to be reduced because of the additional pressure created by the shotgun primer over a percussion cap. I have been told that the primer alone is enough to send a ball down the barrel with no powder at all.

I want to try them because they keep the back end of the gun cleaner, no flash back through the nipple with cakes the hammer up with crud and finds it’s way down into the mechanism. The added sweetener is a shotgun primer costs half what a percussion cap does.

Cheers
    Greg

The charges need to be reduced because of the additional pressure created by the shotgun primer over a percussion cap. I have been told that the primer alone is enough to send a ball down the barrel with no powder at all.

I want to try them because they keep the back end of the gun cleaner, no flash back through the nipple with cakes the hammer up with crud and finds it’s way down into the mechanism. The added sweetener is a shotgun primer costs half what a percussion cap does.

Cheers
    Greg
    Thanks for the explication.

Triple 7

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Here is a link to the Anvil Conversions website which provides all you really need to know about this option.

http://anvilconversions.co.uk/index_files/Page13768.htm

I have a Ruger Old Army converted to nitro by a different company which was a bit inconsistent in ignition, so I tried using a small charge of Hogden 777 powder behind .457 ball and of course 209 shotgun primers. The result is a totally reliable and accurate load which is very comfortable to shoot. The cylinder has of course been nitro proofed and machined to take the 209 primers rather than them being accommodated in the replacement nipples themselves resulting in a much stronger arrangement. The 209 primers are more reliable, cheaper and easier to fit than conventional percussion caps so a no brainer for me anyway. I have no association with Anvil Conversions other than being a very satisfied customer as I also have one of their Ubert Remington 1858 nitro conversion revolvers which allows for indoor range use as many clubs insist on nitro only.

I can't comment on the use of black powder with this arrangement as I have only ever used a substitute, so proceed with caution.

Brian
    Hi Brian, could I ask how much triple 7 you used please ?

I use 15 grains of triple 7 for cowboy action shooting at 20 yards with my bp ruger old army and Uberti Remington

Cheers Steve

Quote Originally Posted by svincett View Post
    Hi Brian, could I ask how much triple 7 you used please ?

I use 15 grains of triple 7 for cowboy action shooting at 20 yards with my bp ruger old army and Uberti Remington

Cheers Steve
    Hi Steve,
    I think we have now covered this subject via private email unless I'm mistaken.

Brian

Done

Yes we have thanks Brian