Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: HW 45 Revisit ?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    PM Tone !
    Received and responded, sir.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    There’s another 45 version called the Trophy which looks interesting has a different rail machined making it ideal for small type reflex sights

https://www.waffen-schlottmann.de/11...iber-4-5mm.htm
    Looks nice, Nick.

The only thing is, for me, personally I prefer the more sleek and uncluttered lines of pistols with open sights and the lower profile, looks wise.

I do appreciate that dot sights could be invaluable for some, and especially for "speed shooting". And some also like scopes on pistols. Each to their own, but I'd always stick with the opens, especially when the '45 sports such excellent ones.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Looks nice, Nick.

The only thing is, for me, personally I prefer the more sleek and uncluttered lines of pistols with open sights and the lower profile, looks wise.

I do appreciate that dot sights could be invaluable for some, and especially for "speed shooting". And some also like scopes on pistols. Each to their own, but I'd always stick with the opens, especially when the '45 sports such excellent ones.
    Yes tone, I agree about the simplicity of opens and uncluttered lines.

The first 45 I had (of many ) I fitted a Hawke red dot for use down my local indoor club and was amazed how effective it was

Fast forward about 12 years and I recently tried a red dot again on a 10m rifle setup and really enjoyed the setup.

I quite like these smaller type reflex sights though as fitted to the trophy version.

The red dots, I’ve tried again are of the big and bulky variety which have been ok on the rifle but not so keen on the aesthetics when fitted on the 45.

Crikey tone we sound like a right pair of gun tarts

Me thinks one of each eh? an old classic 45 with medallion grips and a Trophy model with a tasty reflex fitted

Red dots......I had one of the old SinglePoint ones on a Mercury for ratting donkeys' years ago and, yes, it was effective at close range, Nick.

In about 2009 I fitted one of the Hawke ones (can't remember the exact model name, but it was the cheapest one they did back then) and wasn't particularly enamoured.

I got a Walther one a few years ago. Again, can't remember the exact model name, maybe the Competition Pro? It's sat atop a mini-carbined 2240. It's okay, BUT, I've been thinking for ages about whipping it off and re-fitting the scope. Personally, for short range duties, I think I'd rather stick with a lovely, trusty 2-7x32 sxope on a rifle, with the mag wound right down to give quick target acquisition. And even that little 1.5-5x32 Simmons that sits on the little 30S I bought from you years ago is a nice little scope.

And opens on a pistol for me; sorry.

Just personal choice, obviously.

Red dots......I had one of the old SinglePoint ones on a Mercury for ratting donkeys' years ago and, yes, it was effective at close range, Nick.

In about 2009 I fitted one of the Hawke ones (can't remember the exact model name, but it was the cheapest one they did back then) and wasn't particularly enamoured.

I got a Walther one a few years ago. Again, can't remember the exact model name, maybe the Competition Pro? It's sat atop a mini-carbined 2240. It's okay, BUT, I've been thinking for ages about whipping it off and re-fitting the scope. Personally, for short range duties, I think I'd rather stick with a lovely, trusty 2-7x32 sxope on a rifle, with the mag wound right down to give quick target acquisition. And even that little 1.5-5x32 Simmons that sits on the little 30S I bought from you years ago is a nice little scope.

And opens on a pistol for me; sorry.

Just personal choice, obviously.
    Horses for courses Tone no need to apologise

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    How would the “wee Simmons” be mounted on a 45 ?
    And with what mounts ?
    “An airgun or two”………

I'm guessing that you'd be referring to the 1.5-5x20, John?

Obviously that's built with rifles in mind and, hence, much shorter eye relief than a pistol scope. So, using with a shoulder stock?

I've never considered fitting optics to a '45 so I've never looked into it, but seem to remember seeing it being said that it's not a standard dovetail size. Hopefully someone with experience of mounting optics will be along to advise....

[QUOTE

I've never considered fitting optics to a '45 so I've never looked into it, but seem to remember seeing it being said that it's not a standard dovetail size. Hopefully someone with experience of mounting optics will be along to advise....[/QUOTE]

in November I bought a holo reflex sight of the 'bay, £13.99.just tried to get a link but the 'bay has a problem opening the page, fits fine, says its for 11mm/20mm, pal bought a 20mm one by mistake, so cut 2 lengths an allan key puts a piece each side of the dovetail, works perfect

I'm guessing that you'd be referring to the 1.5-5x20, John?

Obviously that's built with rifles in mind and, hence, much shorter eye relief than a pistol scope. So, using with a shoulder stock?

I've never considered fitting optics to a '45 so I've never looked into it, but seem to remember seeing it being said that it's not a standard dovetail size. Hopefully someone with experience of mounting optics will be along to advise....
    Take your point about eye relief Tony, maybe the Simmons is not the right scope for the job.
    “An airgun or two”………

Pistol scopes and red dots on a 45 are like putting water in whisky.

What’s the verdict on the now Bronze 45’s, they look very classy ?
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    What’s the verdict on the now Bronze 45’s, they look very classy ?
    Not my cup of tea, but that doesn't make me right
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

A cosmetic job I suspect but almost “a ton” more than a standard 45 retail !
    “An airgun or two”………

The Bronze Star I believe is one of those odd things that looks much nicer in the flesh compared to any pictures.

Not sure why it’s priced so much higher over the other versions, but it does look very nice

Yup; I had a Silver Star and to be honest I liked it but found the dieseling a little distracting but it shot very well.
    It’ll be the standard garb this time though I think.
    “An airgun or two”………