Thread: What's regarded as long range?

What's regarded as long range?

Hi,

I got my first air rifle last week and I'm loving it. However, what is regarded as long-range for something like a hw100?

Thanks

Hi Mustard, welcome to the forum and to air rifle shooting.
    In answer to your question we were shooting benchrest at our club today and the targets were multiple 4cm targets on a sheet approx A4 in size and they were set out at 50m. Being a tad too windy we were finding it was necessary. to aim off to the right by approx 2" but most of us were able to put in scores of about 120+ out of a possible 250. On a good day we would normally score about 180-190.
    It was too windy for our other competition which is a 7" target with a 1" bull at 100yds. on other days we have scored about 110 ex 120. None of us are what you would call exceptional shots and we shoot the competitions for the fun we get.
    Hopefully this should show you that anything up to 100yds is possible with a pcp or springer with good results depending on you rather than the equipment.I shoot both Air Arms S400's and Air Arms TX200 and achieve similar results with both at 100yds.
    There is so much info available on this and other forums to help you.
    Good shooting!
    Jim

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
    In answer to your question we were shooting benchrest at our club today and the targets were multiple 4cm targets on a sheet approx A4 in size and they were set out at 50m. Being a tad too windy we were finding it was necessary. to aim off to the right by approx 2" but most of us were able to put in scores of about 120+ out of a possible 250. On a good day we would normally score about 180-190.
    It was too windy for our other competition which is a 7" target with a 1" bull at 100yds. on other days we have scored about 110 ex 120. None of us are what you would call exceptional shots and we shoot the competitions for the fun we get.
    Hopefully this should show you that anything up to 100yds is possible with a pcp or springer with good results depending on you rather than the equipment.I shoot both Air Arms S400's and Air Arms TX200 and achieve similar results with both at 100yds.
    Good shooting!
    Jim
    Thanks for the info Dagwood. 100yds it is then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
    Hi,

I got my first air rifle last week and I'm loving it. However, what is regarded as long-range for something like a hw100?

Thanks
    What your not telling us Mustard is what calibre your HW100 is and what do you intend using it for e.g. targets or hunting ? If hunting then most will correctly tell you 35 to 40 yards max. With targets then whatever’s safe to do so dependent on the wind and the type of rest your using.

I've been sending spent 12 gauge shotgun shells flying at 73 yrds this evening with my .177 HW 77 SE. This is long range for me!

The practical range for .177 12 fpe gun is around 60-80 yards depending on wind. For more powerful guns 100 yards is typical and I've shot 200M BR with airguns and had pretty good results.
    Viking Mk2 .177/.22 bullpup, BSA Scorpion SE .177, BSA Scorpion .25 100M gun, BSA Scorpion .224 100fpe 100M gun,
    Evanix Blizzard .257/.357 200M BR, Evanix Sniper X2 .45 at 270 fpe

We shoot indoor bench rest using the 25m official target cards at fifty metres plus. Certainly good fun and challenging.
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

I do longer than 35meters, but at 35 meters I shoot one target which is in this video, Took me 3 pellets to hit it, home made wood targer with 6mm starter caps in, video is 1.19 minutes long, starter caps are at 0.41 seconds.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj15m1obbSQ

Long range target shooting is for the fun of it. The fun being reading the conditions on the day to hit a paper or inert reactive target. It doesn't matter if its missed.
    Hunting on the other hand demands far higher standards. Long range is 40m, and most restrict themselves to 30 and under. I haven't taken a shot hunting further than 27m for a very long time. The target size is very small, and all the variants come into play. Near is not good enough.

Long range target shooting teaches a lot of what your rifle combination can do, and what you need to do to read the conditions. Loads to work out. I suggest start at 50m in various conditions and see how varied and the need for shooter input is required. What makes shooting with an accurate rifle interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
    Good shooting!
    Jim
    i wish my old airsporter would shoot a target at 100 yards

Quote Originally Posted by chrissutton View Post
    i wish my old airsporter would shoot a target at 100 yards
    I was getting quite good results at 85 yards against a six inch target with my Webley Osprey. Diopter sight so I had all the elevation adjustment needed. We've now moved the target out to 100 yards so we'll see how it copes at that.