Thread: Case Length Trimmer RCBS, LE Wilson any others?

Case Length Trimmer RCBS, LE Wilson any others?

Hi all,

Well with a bit more time on my hands during the current hiatus normal life I have been working through various jobs that I had been meaning to get around to, I’ve deep cleaned the rifles, cleaned and lubed the reloading gear and have been cracking on with as much reloading as is possible.

Yesterday I was case trimming, I cracked through about 300 pieces of 308 and the same of 300 win mag my current trimmer is old RCBS Trim Pro which whilst it does the job is not perhaps the most accurate and its hand cranked so is a right pain in the…… well hand actually.

With 600 pieces of 223 and 300 pieces of 6.5x47 still to go in this round of trimming I was looking at ways to make this process quicker, less hassle and more accurate.

Initially I was planning on purchasing the RCBS Trim Pro Power Unit and the 3 Way Cutters for the 6.5 & .22 (already having a 3 way cutter for .30 as it means that I don’t have to chamfer afterwards), but looking at the cost of that little lot I am thinking that perhaps I should move to an L E Wilson trimmer instead (especially as it’s my birthday today).

So I guess I have a couple of questions, Is the Wilson a better trimmer than the RCBS? Looking at the Wilson the cutter only trims the length and does not chamfer, is this correct? Is there any other trimmers I should consider, I did see on youtube a lovely trimmer from Henderson Precision but I’m unable to find anyone over here selling them.

Cheers
    S.
    If I knew then what I know now I wouldn’t have been bottle feed

This thread has some info on powered trimmers
    http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thr...-help.3956382/
    The Wilson can be power driven and is known to be a pretty accurate trimmer.
    You could also look at the little crow trimmer (available In the UK from 1967spud)
    https://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/
    Also there is this

https://www.giraudtool.com/giraud-tri-way-trimmer.html#

Hope this helps
    ATB
    James
    Last edited by JB101; 22-04-2020 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Adding info

I've got the Wilson trimmer and have recently bought the attachment for it to use a hand drill/screwdriver. I've just cleaned 2,250 x .223 brass
    (which fit nicely into a 12l 'Really Useful Box', so will be able to tell you shortly just how good it is.

My expectation is that it will be fine for small to moderate volumes.

I use the cheapo Lee case trimmer with a power drill and it seems to do the job admirably Iv'e checked the end result and it's spot on. You have to de-burr the case yourself.
    Big Ears AKA BE.

Quote Originally Posted by junkyard dog View Post
    I use the cheapo Lee case trimmer with a power drill and it seems to do the job admirably Iv'e checked the end result and it's spot on. You have to de-burr the case yourself.
    I use this too. Apparently you can use the lee case trimmer on the electric prep centres like the Lyman or rcbs.

I use one of theses in my lyman case prep station and it saves me loads of time once sized I can do all my case prep work in one go

https://www.cdsgltd.co.uk/lee-threadedcutter.html

L.e.wilson cutter

I use a Wilson trimmer, operate the cutter with a small electric drill.
    I haven't the micrometer attachment, but find it fairly easy to get the correct length by a few adjustments.
    I use a RCBS unit then to chamfer inside and outside, pocket clean etc, it all works pretty well for me.
    The main thing is that it's a very accurate way of trimming.
    Good luck with your choice.

PS. not sure how much you want to spend or if it's still available? but there was a very nice stainless steel Wilson with the micrometer attachment for sale on the "Stalking Directory" classified reloading page a short time ago.
    6.5 55 SWEDE.223 HOWA VARMINT NIKON 8X32X50 -.22LR CZ STYLE-16" .17 HMR CZ AMERICAN-16" SIMMONS AETEC-12G BERETTA A.302,AYA NO 4,BAIKAL O&U

I use an Wilson/Sinclair trimmer, tried the lee attachment one to use with drill , but found that it gave a lot of variation. The hand held lee ones or ok , but a bit of a pain to use.