Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone download for the Schmidt Rubin 1889 rifle?

Does anyone download for the Schmidt Rubin 1889 rifle?

A friend of mine has just bought a very nice Schmidt Rubin in all round good condition. He will be shooting at 100 yards and wondered if anyone knows of a download suitable for lead bullets? Also, if you know of one for jacketed bullets, as that would be of interest as well.

All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

yes I do, I will dig out my reloading data

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    A friend of mine has just bought a very nice Schmidt Rubin in all round good condition. He will be shooting at 100 yards and wondered if anyone knows of a download suitable for lead bullets? Also, if you know of one for jacketed bullets, as that would be of interest as well.

Thanks in advance.
    Mr Murphy here does a great job. Many of us who shoot a lot of Swiss agree that Krag loads translate well into the Model 1889. GP90, BTW, was last made in 1923.

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...rox-Load-Tests

Andy Allwood does some decent bullets, too.

Good luck to your pal, and ask him to post the results on YT - he'll be the first - if he is a - that I know of to do so. He''l get great advice by joining the rest of us, including accessory manufactueres Swiss Products, on gunboards,com. We like to see new-to-Swiss folks there.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post

Thanks in advance.
    CAST BULLET LOADS FOR MILITARY RIFLES

Cast bullets can make shooting that surplus rifle easy and economical.
    And basic data works for many different guns.

BY C.E. Harris

Cast bullet loads usually give a more useful zero at practical field ranges with military battle sights than do full power loads. Nothing is more frustrating than a military rifle that shoots a foot high at 100 yards with surplus ammo when the sight is as low as it will go! Do not use inert fillers (Dacron or kapok) to take up excess empty space in the case. This was once common practice, but it raises chamber pressure and under certain conditions contributes to chamber ringing. If a particular load will not work well without a filler, the powder is not suitable for those conditions of loading. Four load classifications from Mattern (1932) cover all uses for the cast bullet military rifle. I worked up equivalent charges to obtain the desired velocity ranges with modern powders, which provide a sound basis for loading cast bullets in any post-1898 military rifle from 7mm to 8mm:

1. 125 grain plain based "small game/gallery" 900-1000 f.p.s., 5 grains of Bullseye or equivalent.

2. 150 grain plain based "100-yard target/small game", 1050-1250 f.p.s., 7 grains of Bullseye or equivalent.

3. 170-180 grain gas checked "200 yard target", 1500-1600 f.p.s., 16 grains of Hercules #2400 or equivalent.

4. 180-200 grain gas-checked "deer/600 yard target", 1750-1850 f.p.s., 26 grains of RL-7 or equivalent.

I dont reload for my 1889, but I do for my K31, I use 150gr gas checked cast , I use unique 11-15grs which gives 14-1700fps YMMV
    reloder 7 is also a very useful powder for cast and FMJ's
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Rubin

200gr gas-checked lead bullet, sized .311, 13gr UNIQUE,
    was spot on for me,
    T

Sure. Here is some stuff I wrote down.

5744/Lovex D060

Charge/180gn Lee GC/200gn Lee GC

20/1555/-
    20.5/1612/-
    21/1637/-
    21.5/1668/-
    22/1729/-
    22.5/1750/-
    23/1775/-
    23.5/1802/-
    24/1831/1740
    24.5/1867/1758
    25/-/1799
    25.5/-/1853
    26/-/1868

I use 25 grains behind a 180 grain lead gas checked. Fun but still within the range power limits. I can keep up with the lever guns for fast shooting. Normal warnings apply about using data off some random bloke on the net. Not sure of 100 yard accuracy- I get 50 where I shoot. Pressures should be lower than GP90 but watch out for leading.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

BY C.E. Harris

Cast bullet loads usually give a more useful zero at practical field ranges with military battle sights than do full power loads. Nothing is more frustrating than a military rifle that shoots a foot high at 100 yards with surplus ammo when the sight is as low as it will go! Do not use inert fillers (Dacron or kapok) to take up excess empty space in the case. This was once common practice, but it raises chamber pressure and under certain conditions contributes to chamber ringing. If a particular load will not work well without a filler, the powder is not suitable for those conditions of loading. Four load classifications from Mattern (1932) cover all uses for the cast bullet military rifle. I worked up equivalent charges to obtain the desired velocity ranges with modern powders, which provide a sound basis for loading cast bullets in any post-1898 military rifle from 7mm to 8mm:

1. 125 grain plain based "small game/gallery" 900-1000 f.p.s., 5 grains of Bullseye or equivalent.

2. 150 grain plain based "100-yard target/small game", 1050-1250 f.p.s., 7 grains of Bullseye or equivalent.

3. 170-180 grain gas checked "200 yard target", 1500-1600 f.p.s., 16 grains of Hercules #2400 or equivalent.

4. 180-200 grain gas-checked "deer/600 yard target", 1750-1850 f.p.s., 26 grains of RL-7 or equivalent.

I dont reload for my 1889, but I do for my K31, I use 150gr gas checked cast , I use unique 11-15grs which gives 14-1700fps YMMV

Great and useful post!!!

Thanks you for your input.
    My friend is pleased with the information and it has given him a lot to think about for when he starts to reload for his new toy.
    I knew the BBS knowledge base would not let me down.

Thumbs up

We have a few members at the club that shoot downloaded mosin nagant on the indoor 25m range
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

BY C.E. Harris

I think we should do some bunny bashing with load number 2 when all of this nonsense is over - the blind over the solar farm would work . . . .
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Great and useful post!!!
    Kenny is the man when it comes to K31
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by 223AI View Post
    I think we should do some bunny bashing with load number 2 when all of this nonsense is over - the blind over the solar farm would work . . . .
    well yesterdays batch came to around 250 all nnow lubrd and gas checked I reckon with a bit of sighting in we could at least scare them
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

well yesterdays batch came to around 250 all nnow lubrd and gas checked I reckon with a bit of sighting in we could at least scare them
    Obviously you have an open FAC that enables you to use it for taking game, right? Any chance of making a Youtube video of it - I know a lot of my friends in USA and Canada would like to see it in action like this!

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Obviously you have an open FAC that enables you to use it for taking game, right? Any chance of making a Youtube video of it - I know a lot of my friends in USA and Canada would like to see it in action like this!
    yup my K31 and 223AIs K31 and lever gun are both conditioned for Deer and AOLQ , not sure how much a video would show as a lot of our shooting on vermin is in low light or at night, however will see if we can get some stills once the lockdown is over

yup my k31 and 223ais k31 and lever gun are both conditioned for deer and aolq , not sure how much a video would show as a lot of our shooting on vermin is in low light or at night, however will see if we can get some stills once the lockdown is over
    tvm!!