Thread: Newbie

I have developed a slight rat problem and traps don't work and I won't use poison so an airgun is the solution! Have wanted one for years but never got round to it. Have only plinked in a mates garden!
    what should I consider with a budget of £500ish

Cheers

welcome to the forum a nice s400 or s200 will fit the bill nicely mate

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight

Exclamation

Tell us a bit more about your situation, the law can be extremely harsh if you get things wrong with an air rifle. Be aware in legal terms, they are firearms, therefore any offence committed is a firearms offence.

In no way do I want to put you off, just be prepared with some legal knowledge before diving in.

500 is a generous budget and you could easily get 500 answers, all valid.

The other thing you must do and this is absolute. Practice before you shoot any form of vermin. You need to be able to consistently hit a target smaller than your subjects head at the range you will be shooting at. So in your case a target about the size of a penny. A clumsy body shot and allowing it to die slowly in pain is not acceptable. Even for a rat.

Rats are very intelligent, you may need to research technique as well.

The answer to your question is a sorted secondhand weirauch hw99, a fifty quid ish scope with no more than x9 magnification, a chronograph to stay legal, some targets, a safe back stop and a tin of jsb exacts. Throw in a rifle slip and you've got about two hundred quid in change.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi and welcome to the best airgun forum. if l was you l would wait until your local gun shop is open and try out a few guns to see which one is the best
    fit for you. with that amount to spend you should have a lot of choice.

Hi Paul and a very warm welcome to the bestest forum.

Unframed Dave's post is spot on and brimming with top advice. The only thing I'd add is I'd be going for .22 calibre for rats and I'd be using RWS Hobby pellets once you've practiced with them and know they are accurate in your gun.

What size garden do you have and what's the longest range you'd be shooting at?

Enjoy the hobby and the forum, hope you get your rattles sorted out and stay safe & legal.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

South Warwickshire

Thanks for the feedback. I am near Stratford upon Avon, I have about 30 yards to the hedge at the back where the rats are coming from. My other half is an avid bird feeder and photographer, hence the problem. it doesnt help that the neighbours on both sides keep chickens. I can also shoot on a local farm, and plan to use this to develop my skills. I have undertaken a bit of research and an Air Arms is top of my list. I am busily buying bits and bobs and plan on visiting a couple of shops next wednesday. I suspect it will be appointment only so will call them in the next day or so
    Cheers

Are you thinking PCP or spring, Paul?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

I have bought a nasty underlever as backup and am collecting an AA 410 tomorrow