Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eagle marksman of the year 1952 win a bsa cadet major

Eagle marksman of the year 1952 win a bsa cadet major

As i am a big fan of the bsa cadet and cadet major and anything related to them i have an advert from the Eagle comic 1952, at the schoolboys own exhibition 1952 on the eagle rifle range the champion of all crack shots will win a bsa cadet major and a trophy and eleven runners up will each get a bsa air rifle, now i have searched the internet i can find items about the schoolboys own exhibition but can not find anything about winning this bsa air rifle so i was wondering if anyone else would remember this shootng prize at the show or even better where is the trophy now, ( not much chance of finding the trophy i know ) i have the advert but dont know how to ad a pic.
    Last edited by jjjjjj; 10-06-2020 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjjjj View Post
    As i am a big fan of the bsa cadet and cadet major and anything related to them i have an advert from the Eagle comic 1952, at the schoolboys own exhibition 1952 on the eagle rifle range the champion of all crack shots will win a bsa cadet major and a trophy and eleven runners up will each get a bsa air rifle, now i have searched the internet i can find items about the schoolboys own exhibition but can not find anything about winning this bsa air rifle so i was wondering if anyone else would remember this shootng prize at the show or even better where is the trophy now, i have the advert but dont know how to ad a pic.
    I'm not sure if my memories of 1952 are real or not, should be, I started school then. But what a different world it was - making a gun a reward for using a gun!!! Shock, horror. There was that big map that pulled down in front of the blackboard with half the countries coloured pink. I think Mr. Churchill was still Mr. Churchill, revered by most, even if they didn't necessarily vote for him. The local bobby was a man to be admired and respected. We still had diphtheria but we hanged murderers.

Sorry I was about to launch into All Our Yesterdays there. I don't remember the above contest but this is probably the best place to ask. I bet Edbear 2 would know but he seems to have other things occupying his mind. If this comes to your attention, Ed, you're sorely missed. And Trevor Adams might know. I know a weekly delivery of Pommy papers was a feature of kiwi life back then and maybe the odd comlc made its way there.

Good luck with your quest. I'll watch with interest, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post
    I'm not sure if my memories of 1952 are real or not, should be, I started school then. But what a different world it was - making a gun a reward for using a gun!!! Shock, horror. There was that big map that pulled down in front of the blackboard with half the countries coloured pink. I think Mr. Churchill was still Mr. Churchill, revered by most, even if they didn't necessarily vote for him. The local bobby was a man to be admired and respected. We still had diphtheria but we hanged murderers.

Sorry I was about to launch into All Our Yesterdays there. I don't remember the above contest but this is probably the best place to ask. I bet Edbear 2 would know but he seems to have other things occupying his mind. If this comes to your attention, Ed, you're sorely missed. And Trevor Adams might know. I know a weekly delivery of Pommy papers was a feature of kiwi life back then and maybe the odd comlc made its way there.

Good luck with your quest. I'll watch with interest, Mick
    Good old days Mick!

I have been researching early air rifle target shooting and have a fair amount of information on pre war competitions but very little on early post war organised air rifle shooting, so nothing on this competition from 1952 I'm afraid. The NSRA archives I have mention a competition involving clubs from the Channel islands in 1952 but nothing specific where a CM was the prize.

It may be worth contacting the organisers if they are known - such as the Scouting movement.

Alternatively, you never know - Mark Knibbs may have something in the BSA archives. It will take some searching of the ledgers, but somewhere in there, there will be an entry relating to the prize air rifle and to whom it was delivered.

Kind regards,

John

not cadet related

Hi, 1952 , I bit before my time, but i remember reading Eagle comics & Beano & Dandy, on one occasion Dennis the Menace built a pea shooter machine gun ! a pea shooter, a funnel full of dried peas & a pair of fire bellows. WOW! , so I built one - big fail! but I did not have "Gorilla tape" or super glue etc in those days , should I try again ? NO! kind regards Al

Golly Mick,you can make a chap feel ancient.

1952 I was doing my university entrance..a bit past Dan Dare etc! I DO have a MkIII Webley rifle with all it's literature/paraphenalia that was won by a fellow in a 1956 Sports magazine competition.Even his letter of congratulation! See how easily I stray from the topic? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by cinedux View Post
    1952 I was doing my university entrance..a bit past Dan Dare etc! I DO have a MkIII Webley rifle with all it's literature/paraphenalia that was won by a fellow in a 1956 Sports magazine competition.Even his letter of congratulation! See how easily I stray from the topic? ;-)
    Sometimes its hard to stay focussed. I always fancied one of those devices the Mekon floated about on. And here we go again.

Good news, though - they are now making slippers with memory foam in then so you can remember what you went into the kitchen for!

ATB, Mick

Sounds like I can help with this one ....

As i am a big fan of the bsa cadet and cadet major and anything related to them i have an advert from the Eagle comic 1952, at the schoolboys own exhibition 1952 on the eagle rifle range the champion of all crack shots will win a bsa cadet major and a trophy and eleven runners up will each get a bsa air rifle, now i have searched the internet i can find items about the schoolboys own exhibition but can not find anything about winning this bsa air rifle so i was wondering if anyone else would remember this shootng prize at the show or even better where is the trophy now, ( not much chance of finding the trophy i know ) i have the advert but dont know how to ad a pic.
    Having just made a quick "I wonder" search I came across this thread. The reason I did it was my dad just dug out and showed me the trophy he was awarded for winning the Eagle comic shooting competition in 1952, a story he has told me often over the years. He was a keen reader of the comic and went to the show, entered the competition and won! I was unaware until now of the competition being by schoolboys own. He was presented with the trophy which is dated with the year along with two matching BSA air rifles (.177 pellet firing). Each rifle had a small engraved plate screwed to the side of the butt in recognition of the win. He passed on one of them to another side of the family long ago but we still have the other. I fired it a few times when I was younger, it's got quite a powerful spring loading mechanism and a kick when fired, and it's since been tucked away for safe keeping. Although my dad was too young to serve in the war he did do his National Service at Catterick Camp in Yorkshire, and has often told stories of his target shooting using an Enfield 303 where he would often bullseye at a great distance (he was a very good shot). In fact he has told of occasions where, due to crosswind, he had to aim at the next target over in order for his shot to hit his target.

Hope this enlightens you.

Cheers

Chris
    Last edited by Geeba; 21-11-2021 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Turn on email notification

edbear2 Guest
    Sorry can't help Mick..are you in this film though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pywa31fbIg

ATB, ED

Quote Originally Posted by Geeba View Post
    Having just made a quick "I wonder" search I came across this thread. The reason I did it was my dad just dug out and showed me the trophy he was awarded for winning the Eagle comic shooting competition in 1952, a story he has told me often over the years. He was a keen reader of the comic and went to the show, entered the competition and won! I was unaware until now of the competition being by schoolboys own. He was presented with the trophy which is dated with the year along with two matching BSA air rifles (.177 pellet firing). Each rifle had a small engraved plate screwed to the side of the butt in recognition of the win. He passed on one of them to another side of the family long ago but we still have the other. I fired it a few times when I was younger, it's got quite a powerful spring loading mechanism and a kick when fired, and it's since been tucked away for safe keeping. Although my dad was too young to serve in the war he did do his National Service at Catterick Camp in Yorkshire, and has often told stories of his target shooting using an Enfield 303 where he would often bullseye at a great distance (he was a very good shot). In fact he has told of an occasions where, due to crosswind, he had to aim at the next target over in order for his shot to hit his target.

Cheers

Chris
    Greetings Chris, and Welcome to the forum.
    Many people will be very interested in your post as it concerns something important in the historical aspect of the airgun collectors world. Any chance of some photos of the gun and trophy please as I am sure they would be appreciated by many and Garvin would be very pleased to feature photos and the story them in the airgungallery

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Greetings Chris, and Welcome to the forum.
    Many people will be very interested in your post as it concerns something important in the historical aspect of the airgun collectors world. Any chance of some photos of the gun and trophy please as I am sure they would be appreciated by many and Garvin would be very pleased to feature photos and the story them in the airgungallery
    It was my intention to attach some images to my original post but unfortunately my account seems to have the option to do so disabled. Perhaps due to the fact that I've only just registered, which was really to just reply to the original post as it had a personal connection.

As and when the ability to do so appears I will upload some images of the trophy and rifle.

Thanks

Chris

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Having just made a quick "I wonder" search I came across this thread. The reason I did it was my dad just dug out and showed me the trophy he was awarded for winning the Eagle comic shooting competition in 1952, a story he has told me often over the years. He was a keen reader of the comic and went to the show, entered the competition and won! I was unaware until now of the competition being by schoolboys own. He was presented with the trophy which is dated with the year along with two matching BSA air rifles (.177 pellet firing). Each rifle had a small engraved plate screwed to the side of the butt in recognition of the win. He passed on one of them to another side of the family long ago but we still have the other. I fired it a few times when I was younger, it's got quite a powerful spring loading mechanism and a kick when fired, and it's since been tucked away for safe keeping. Although my dad was too young to serve in the war he did do his National Service at Catterick Camp in Yorkshire, and has often told stories of his target shooting using an Enfield 303 where he would often bullseye at a great distance (he was a very good shot). In fact he has told of occasions where, due to crosswind, he had to aim at the next target over in order for his shot to hit his target.

Cheers

Chris
    Well that is a one chance in 1000000, but strange things do happen.

It was my intention to attach some images to my original post but unfortunately my account seems to have the option to do so disabled. Perhaps due to the fact that I've only just registered, which was really to just reply to the original post as it had a personal connection.

As and when the ability to do so appears I will upload some images of the trophy and rifle.

Thanks

Chris
    Hello Chris and welcome to the forum.

That is a wonderful story - thank you for sharing it with us. I believe you may need a minimum post count before you can post pics and use the sales section.

I'd love to see images of the rifle and trophy!

Kind regards,

John M
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Very interesting post, JJJJJJ, and there are countless threads/posts giving details of how to post pictures on this forum.
    I use https://postimages.org/ in either full format or thumbnail, as do many others.

Cheers

Chris
    Wow thank you for the reply would love to see any pics you have and anymore info about this event I only have the cutting from the Eagle comic.

I just found myself thinking ' This poster (no.2) thinks just the way I do'. Then I realised it was me what wrote it. My views have not changed but I don't remember the far-too-easy solution.

Not guilty Ed, I didn't go to London until 1952, and didn't go to the Schoolboys Exhibition then, but I did wear short trousers and a cap. Aside: were shorts still compulsory in 1952? I know it was a wartime act.

It's not me that's making you feel old, Trev, its BEING old.

An interesting thread from a very different time - a competition Baden Powell would have approved with a worthwhile prize.

ATB, Mick