Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eagle marksman of the year 1952 win a bsa cadet major

Update

I have updated the photo album with the rifle etching detail. The model is a Club.

The original prize was a pair of identical rifles as far as I know.

And I think that runners up received a single rifle but I don't know what model.

Again, hope this helps clear the mist....

Thanks

Chris
    Last edited by Geeba; 24-11-2021 at 09:59 AM.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    What 2 great prizes, and another part of airgun history that we didn't know about until now. very many thanks for the photos.

Wow, that is amazing!! the story & both relics, rifle & trophy! Even without the trophy, this airsporter club is in great condition . Wonder if its twin is still alive! Thnx for sharing.
    Collection: vintage air pistols & air rifles / vintage air gun accessories
    Facebook groups: vintage air guns 1. Webley, 2 BSA, 3. Haenel, 4. Weihrauch, 5. Diana

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeba View Post
    I have created a small album with some pics of the rifle and trophy. As you will see, the date on then trophy is 1952 and the hand you can see holding it belongs to my dad, the very person who won it!

View the album here

Hope it's what you wanted to see!

Thanks

Chris
    That's brilliant Chris, I bet you are pleased you looked now, and please thank your father for looking after the gun and trophy for all this time.......I was looking at the photos and wondered if that was a hallmark on the plate inset into the woodwork?

Anyway, as Mick says, what are the chances of this ?, and also what else may turn up thanks to the internet.

ATB, Ed

Thats a brilliant turn up for the books.

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    That's brilliant Chris, I bet you are pleased you looked now, and please thank your father for looking after the gun and trophy for all this time.......I was looking at the photos and wondered if that was a hallmark on the plate inset into the woodwork?

Anyway, as Mick says, what are the chances of this ?, and also what else may turn up thanks to the internet.

ATB, Ed
    Hi Ed, hope you are keeping safe. l thought it looked like a hall mark as well, if so it should have the date letter for 1952.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Hi Ed, hope you are keeping safe. l thought it looked like a hall mark as well, if so it should have the date letter for 1952.
    Hi Mate, no too bad here, bit older and sme more aches

Miss seeing your grin on those odd Sundays when you usually had found something nice at Malvern !

All the best,

Ed

Hi Mate, no too bad here, bit older and sme more aches

Miss seeing your grin on those odd Sundays when you usually had found something nice at Malvern !

All the best,

Ed
    Hi Ed, that is the worst part of getting older is the aches and pains. and the brain telling the body it can still do things when the body knows it can't.
    l also miss seeing you and having out little chats. take care of your self.
    ATB
    Mick

ATB, Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post

Good shout, chaps. It does look like a silver hallmark on the plaque with a *makers mark first, then the anchor for Birmingham, lion passant, and the date letter B for 1951. Edit: the style of cartouche is correct for that year too.

*The makers mark could be JD, JO, JQ...?

Also, what a wonderful story...and best thread conclusion ever!

Edit: I'm no expert on British silver hallmarks but, to my untrained eye, the hallmark date of 1951 predating the actual event in 1952 is entirely correct, the silver plaque would have to have been made and assayed at Birmingham before sale to BSA for mounting in the stock. The hallmark must always predate any engraving...
    Last edited by DCL_dave; 27-11-2021 at 08:04 AM.
    blah blah

This is a great 'feel good' story - the icing on the cake would be for the pair of identical rifles to be reunited for a grand finale

No pressure Geeba

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    This is a great 'feel good' story - the icing on the cake would be for the pair of identical rifles to be reunited for a grand finale

No pressure Geeba
    Agreed. Top thread, this. One of the best for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Geeba View Post
    I have created a small album with some pics of the rifle and trophy. As you will see, the date on then trophy is 1952 and the hand you can see holding it belongs to my dad, the very person who won it!

View the album here

Hope it's what you wanted to see!

Thanks

Chris
    If your Dad is willing, could you add a picture of him holding the trophy and rifle?
    Daz

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    If your Dad is willing, could you add a picture of him holding the trophy and rifle?
    Daz
    I second that, When I started this thread I never thought we would ever find where the trophy went who won it yet alone see any pictures of it, I always thought that it was a cadet major for the prize going by the advert, thanks again for the pictures.
    JJJJJJ

Excellent Thread.....

Gents,

A really interesting thread - a question prompted by reading the photos of Eagle Magazine posted by Unframed Dave - the words suggested that apart from having the rifle to keep, the trophy was to be retained for the coming year. Is this indicative of the competition / sponsorship being repeated on other subsequent years with other schoolboys winning an air rifle and then keeping the trophy for a subsequent year?

Did the exhibition take place in subsequent years and was he process repeated?

I would live to know!

Thanks.
    If it has a trigger, I'm gonna enjoy it!