Thread: Your perfect sporting breakbarrel?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    So, I finally have a second hand wood stocked LGV coming in the mail.. just hoping its a good one!
    Quoting myself a lot here....
    But the gun turns out to be a Walther Century- the guy advertised it as a Walther, and I got excited and forgot that the century existed...
    So now I have what turns out to be a quite accurate high power .177

But it is brutal to cock and fire- does anyone have experience with setting up soft and accurate tunes on these??
    Too many airguns!

But the gun turns out to be a Walther Century- the guy advertised it as a Walther, and I got excited and forgot that the century existed...

But it is brutal to cock and fire- does anyone have experience with setting up soft and accurate tunes on these??
    No first hand experience, but at a guess..

SLEEVE THE BUGGER DOWN TO 25MM AND FIT THE LGV PISTON!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    No first hand experience, but at a guess..

SLEEVE THE BUGGER DOWN TO 25MM AND FIT THE LGV PISTON!
    Yeah... But then there's all the projects that should be done... But you are right the gun is a good candidate for making an LGV

Opened it up, and found a MASSIVE piston weight, plus a spring with 4mm wire
    Too many airguns!

Yeah... But then there's all the projects that should be done... But you are right the gun is a good candidate for making an LGV

4mm? Wow!

I don't know if the piston rods and trigger mechanisms are the same when comparing the LGV and Century if considering sleeving down? But replacing that huge spring with something more modest has to be a good place to start. Replacing the piston weight with a lighter top hat could well help, too, but is, obviously, also dependant on the weight of the piston itself. There's many a sweet shooting tune been achieved on the HW80/35 whilst retaining the original bore and, obviously, a less involved conversion. I think a satisfactory tune could be achieved whilst keeping to the 30mm and just addressing that spring and fitting some snug front and rear guides.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35

Wouldn't it be the same sort of tuning needed as what you'd do to an HW80?
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Yep.

There have been many short stroked 30mm HW80s over the years which have impressed immensely. Most notably, to my knowledge, those from Mick, T20, and WonkyDonky. Plus, I believe the Century sports the LGV-esque manual barrel latch, adding an air of even more reassurance and refinement.

So... going the HW80 route, I'd guess the first thing would be getting a softer, longer spring, and loosing some piston weight?

I was quite shocked at the 4mm wire spring, never seen anything that heavy in a spring gun. However, it has a quite large ID, so it actually seems softer than an HW80 spring. The tophat was so long that the rear guide was cut down and extremely short.
    Too many airguns!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    So... going the HW80 route, I'd guess the first thing would be getting a softer, longer spring, and loosing some piston weight?

I was quite shocked at the 4mm wire spring, never seen anything that heavy in a spring gun. However, it has a quite large ID, so it actually seems softer than an HW80 spring. The tophat was so long that the rear guide was cut down and extremely short.
    Does it look like it was original Walther internals?
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quoting myself once again...

Just bought an LGV Challenger ultra unseen. The price was OK, and the pictures showed a well kept rifle in the original box, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed its a good one.

With the wooden stock and barrel weight from the Century, it is probably going to be a well shooting gun.
    But the size, trigger/safety and weight will probably exclude it from being my "perfect sporting breakbarrel".
    Too many airguns!

As you say, evert, a weighty beast for a "walk-around" sporting gun. But there are other heavy rifles that are faithful field companions, like the 80. There have now also been many tales of successful trigger mods to improve that area. And they do shoot so very sweetly.......

As you say, evert, a weighty beast for a "walk-around" sporting gun. But there are other heavy rifles that are faithful field companions, like the 80. There have now also been many tales of successful trigger mods to improve that area. And they do shoot so very sweetly.......
    The LGV is here! It has s bit of rust on the cylinder, but I can live with that, because the gun is mechanically sound.
    It now sits in the Century stock, which makes for a more pleasant firing experience.
    It certainly needs some tighter guides, as it has some buzz, and your points on trigger mods are quite correct.

But it shoots flat, recoil does not really move the sight picture mich when the gun is held or rested correctly.
    Too many airguns!

The LGV is here! It has s bit of rust on the cylinder, but I can live with that, because the gun is mechanically sound.
    It now sits in the Century stock, which makes for a more pleasant firing experience.
    It certainly needs some tighter guides, as it has some buzz, and your points on trigger mods are quite correct.

But it shoots flat, recoil does not really move the sight picture mich when the gun is held or rested correctly.
    Lovely.

Look up the Jim Tyler prescribed tune for these.....utterly lovely......TX III spring, fitted guides and opened out TP. I've tried a few and they're lovely.

Lovely.

Look up the Jim Tyler prescribed tune for these.....utterly lovely......TX III spring, fitted guides and opened out TP. I've tried a few and they're lovely.
    Can the Titan 10+ be used as well? Importing stuff is really expensive with todays exchange rate for the Norwegian kr...

As we're allowed to shoot our guns at full power here, I'd like to keep the port at the original spec, and that probably does not combine well with the softer spring. The first setup will be just fitted guides and a relube.
    Too many airguns!

Can the Titan 10+ be used as well? Importing stuff is really expensive with todays exchange rate for the Norwegian kr...

As we're allowed to shoot our guns at full power here, I'd like to keep the port at the original spec, and that probably does not combine well with the softer spring. The first setup will be just fitted guides and a relube.
    Hi evert.

I can't quite remember the specs on the 10+ right now, but seem to think it will be of thicker wire diameter than the standard TX spring?

What power are LGVs usually set up for over there? As you know, the JT tune is a sub-12 tune and they do shoot very, very sweetly.

I have in the past tried other mildly fettled LGVs which also did shoot very nicely indeed. Fitted guides and a relube by someone as experienced as yourself will result in a most pleasing rifle.