Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Your perfect sporting breakbarrel?

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    My HW95 has a steel barrel sleeve, so quite close to a 98.
    I have tried a lot of different springs, piston weights and piston seals, but somehow never get along with the rifle in the long run.
    New setups tend to feel good, but after some shooting I go back to other guns.

A 95/98 with a shortstroke piston, that could be something!
    I had a 98 with a stock spring, custom guides and shortstroke and one of Luke Jolly s trigger setups. It was a fantastic thing to shoot. I'm gonna get another and do exactly the same I think.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro7dave View Post
    I had a 98 with a stock spring, custom guides and shortstroke and one of Luke Jolly s trigger setups. It was a fantastic thing to shoot. I'm gonna get another and do exactly the same I think.
    I don't think I've had a 98? I was tempted when the lam stock one came out, but it was beaucoup cash!

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I don't think I've had a 98? I was tempted when the lam stock one came out, but it was beaucoup cash!
    Tinners, why not pick up an HW98 barrel and shroud to try out on an HW95? I have one which will first be tried on an HW80 and then maybe on the HW85!
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

I've always had the Diana Mod 34 series well ahead both the early HW85 and the later HW 85/95. I think the 34 is as well made (if less deluxe) but has finer manners and far better handling in a lighter package. The later 34 Premium is probably the best of the breed, although an early 36/38 is up there as well.
    For me, somehow, the 85/95 doesn't quite add up to the sum of its parts. Certainly, usefully lighter than an 80 but they do not handle well for some reason I can't explain. All the ingredients would seem to be there but they lie uncomfortably slab-like in my hands are relatively unwieldy, even in carbine form. They have significantly more muzzle flip than a Diana 34 or even an HW35 or 50. I would rate both of its older stablemates above the 85/95 as unfashionable as that sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    I've always had the Diana Mod 34 series well ahead both the early HW85 and the later HW 85/95. I think the 34 is as well made (if less deluxe) but has finer manners and far better handling in a lighter package. The later 34 Premium is probably the best of the breed, although an early 36/38 is up there as well.
    For me, somehow, the 85/95 doesn't quite add up to the sum of its parts. Certainly, usefully lighter than an 80 but they do not handle well for some reason I can't explain. All the ingredients would seem to be there but they lie uncomfortably slab-like in my hands are relatively unwieldy, even in carbine form. They have significantly more muzzle flip than a Diana 34 or even an HW35 or 50. I would rate both of its older stablemates above the 85/95 as unfashionable as that sounds.
    My views entirely. The 85/95 ought to be like an FWB Sport with a better trigger, safety catch, and breech lock up. What’s not to like?

But the balance, stock fit, and handling is just wrong. Really wrong. And I can’t explain why, either.

I do wonder if a CS walnut stock, shorter barrel (my 85 is a full-length rifle) and the right muzzle weight or suppressor might transform it into a brilliant rifle....

For purity of handling, portability and "sporting" feel, I'd have to rate the BSA Lightning right up there.

But it has its shortcomings in other areas.

So, how about that (slightly) flawed genius, the HW99S (again!!!)???
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

For me I think that the AA Pro Elite showed HW how their HW80 could have been built better. It's a better engineered gun. I do get pleasure from owning one in each calibre but they get used only just occasionally.
    So in contrast as for my "go to" break barrel in my collection I'd have to say that this would be an Original 45 or perhaps the Diana 45 version. I almost exclusively shoot grey squirrel these days and these accomplish the task with aplomb.
    Having used a more modern Diana 280k for the same task on a few occasions I could as readily grab that from the rack. It's a tad lighter, handles and points a little better, but surprisingly gives a not altogether different firing cycle to the 45. Both being quite a quick sharp nudge in the shoulder with the shot away downrange....
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    I agree with this! Also like the 280, not overly long even in full length guise and very pointable.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    For purity of handling, portability and "sporting" feel, I'd have to rate the BSA Lightning right up there.

I love the look and feel of the old style BSA Lightning. It just looks right and handles right. Just need it to shoot right!

Maybe I am being a little unfair...

Quote Originally Posted by TRS1 View Post
    I love the look and feel of the old style BSA Lightning. It just looks right and handles right. Just need it to shoot right!

Maybe I am being a little unfair...
    The lightnings and supersports can be very good IF you have a good example and set it up properly.
    On the other hand, a bad example can be a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    It was your innards in it bud. It was absolutely spot on. I think I gave 300 for the standard rifle. I like the nose heavy feel. To be fair I used it that much I sold my all singing all dancing tuned to buggery 97.

Getting closer, but with an underlever
    Just put the HW77 stock on the new-to-me 97k, and this thing really gets my attention. Time will tell if it is just the thrill of something new or if this really is what I'm looking for.

On the other hand, the Mk3 meteor with a cut down supersport barrel is proving itself to be both accurate and lightweight, with very light recoil and enough power for enjoyable plinking...
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Yeah, I would have kept the LGV if it wasn't for that horrible rear-block-safety-trigger-something.
    With a custom stock it would be close to perfection.
    So, I finally have a second hand wood stocked LGV coming in the mail.. just hoping its a good one!
    Too many airguns!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post

If BSA had only kept making the Custom version of the Supersport and then transferred the same into the Lightning, then there'd be a few more followers, as you know my .25 ain't bad to shoot and that's just had basic tuning with the original spring, I'd like to see what it would be like properly tuned up but I don't really want to disturb it, as you say Tone the 99 is pretty good, I'm still waiting to try an all singing, all dancing one, just to see how good they can be before I'm fully convinced, the trouble is trying other people's rifles at the bash is they are often not set up for you, so you may pick up a rifle that shoots fantastic but because the scope isn't set up to your eyes or the trigger isn't how you'd normally have it or the stock doesn't fit you, it can taint your shooting experience with it and may be put you off, settling down with your own personal favourite and just plinking away is a massive joy.

Pete
    Last edited by look no hands; 04-10-2022 at 06:19 PM.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    If BSA had only kept making the Custom version of the Supersport and then transferred the same into the Lightning, then there'd be a few more followers....
    Any specs on the Custom? Did it have any special internals, or was it just cosmetic?
    Too many airguns!