Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Your perfect sporting breakbarrel?

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    I could be very wide of the mark here, mate - but isn't the rod in a 95 nigh on impossible to remove?
    I'd be most surprised if you were wide of any mark given your depth of knowledge, Craigy.

Was just hoping it'd be more easily do-able.

Never mind, thar would open the door to a bespoke piston, then.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Oh its just lack of motivation and lazyness. Too many airguns not enough time...
    I have the laziness too!

Plenty of airguns, also. My main obstacles are the lack of time, justifying the spend and a less than supportive other half!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quoting myself a lot here....
    But the gun turns out to be a Walther Century- the guy advertised it as a Walther, and I got excited and forgot that the century existed...
    So now I have what turns out to be a quite accurate high power .177

But it is brutal to cock and fire- does anyone have experience with setting up soft and accurate tunes on these??
    No first hand experience, but at a guess..

SLEEVE THE BUGGER DOWN TO 25MM AND FIT THE LGV PISTON!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    No first hand experience, but at a guess..

SLEEVE THE BUGGER DOWN TO 25MM AND FIT THE LGV PISTON!
    Yeah... But then there's all the projects that should be done... But you are right the gun is a good candidate for making an LGV

Opened it up, and found a MASSIVE piston weight, plus a spring with 4mm wire
    Too many airguns!

Yeah... But then there's all the projects that should be done... But you are right the gun is a good candidate for making an LGV

4mm? Wow!

I don't know if the piston rods and trigger mechanisms are the same when comparing the LGV and Century if considering sleeving down? But replacing that huge spring with something more modest has to be a good place to start. Replacing the piston weight with a lighter top hat could well help, too, but is, obviously, also dependant on the weight of the piston itself. There's many a sweet shooting tune been achieved on the HW80/35 whilst retaining the original bore and, obviously, a less involved conversion. I think a satisfactory tune could be achieved whilst keeping to the 30mm and just addressing that spring and fitting some snug front and rear guides.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35

Wouldn't it be the same sort of tuning needed as what you'd do to an HW80?
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Yep.

There have been many short stroked 30mm HW80s over the years which have impressed immensely. Most notably, to my knowledge, those from Mick, T20, and WonkyDonky. Plus, I believe the Century sports the LGV-esque manual barrel latch, adding an air of even more reassurance and refinement.

So... going the HW80 route, I'd guess the first thing would be getting a softer, longer spring, and loosing some piston weight?

I was quite shocked at the 4mm wire spring, never seen anything that heavy in a spring gun. However, it has a quite large ID, so it actually seems softer than an HW80 spring. The tophat was so long that the rear guide was cut down and extremely short.
    Too many airguns!

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    So... going the HW80 route, I'd guess the first thing would be getting a softer, longer spring, and loosing some piston weight?

I was quite shocked at the 4mm wire spring, never seen anything that heavy in a spring gun. However, it has a quite large ID, so it actually seems softer than an HW80 spring. The tophat was so long that the rear guide was cut down and extremely short.
    Does it look like it was original Walther internals?
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Does it look like it was original Walther internals?
    Yes, I have no reason to think the gun has been tinkered with.
    Remember we get full power guns here.
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    I could be very wide of the mark here, mate - but isn't the rod in a 95 nigh on impossible to remove?
    Yes wide Craig, the cross pin is in a blind hole, correct that and knock the pin out, the latch rod can then be punched out, if you then make the new one from 10 mm diameter silver steel, the piston can be reamed to take the new rod , drilled reamed and cross pinned back in . The new rod has to be sized for the trigger block hole or vica versa Not as easy as a tx .

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    Yes wide Craig, the cross pin is in a blind hole, correct that and knock the pin out, the latch rod can then be punched out, if you then make the new one from 10 mm diameter silver steel, the piston can be reamed to take the new rod , drilled reamed and cross pinned back in . The new rod has to be sized for the trigger block hole or vica versa Not as easy as a tx .
    Thank you, mate. I knew I'd heard something about it not being quite straightforward.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Yes, brilliant information, Nick; thank you.

Beyond the remit of most of us lowly tinkerers, but entirely do-able for the likes of you airgun engineering Demi-Gods such as your good self, Jon, Mick, Jim and a few others........

Might help facilitate a certain little project, Craigy?

Your perfect sporting breakbarrel?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry B View Post
    I bought the lightning, it looks great.

Sadly lots of great air rifle shooters, and a certain well known tuner just could not improve this rifle.

But , my supersport is certainly a real beauty, need to get inside it, and do a service, its not been opened for over 16 years I've had it, definitely can do with a bit of attention !!!
    Mine wasn't a looker, got it for £60 locally complete with brown boot polished stock as i found out first time i shot it ,much to my mates amusment at the brown cheek i had after. I cleaned & oiled the stock & sold it after a couple of years for £80 to a local guy who wanted a decent springer for his sons 18th present i shot a ten shot group with the opens at 15m one ragged hole with it, gave the guy the card to show him how good it was, none of the lightnings could do better than an inch at that range, after fettling.

Break Barrel

My HW55M in .22 cal is near to completion and running at 11.5 ft lbs in tests. Mach 1.5