Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Your perfect sporting breakbarrel?

hw tuned 95k in 22

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Oh and the same for me, a Mercury S action with a 10 inch barrel, in a Challenger stock.

Oh hang on, I already have one of those, aren't I lucky

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

As if by luck, Tom Gaylord, on his pyramydairblog, has today started a series on designing a break barrel springer from scratch.

Lots of topics and potential design features mentioned, including narrow bore / long stroke, barrel, breech security and trigger etc. Just the sorts of things we often talk about on here.

Be interesting to keep an eye on it and see how it progresses.

Can anyone do a link to it, please, as I'm hopeless at stuff like that?

Some of his thinking may not quite align with some of our esteemed home tuners, though.

Hmmm.....if we HAD to re-engineer a rifle, the adaptable, previously mentioned HW95 would still make a fantastic base platform and we've had reduced bore ones already. So nothing new in the following, but would be an easy conversion and cover many of Mr Gaylord's design wants - 23mm bore, buttoned piston and custom fitted guides on design specific spring. Rekord trigger still outstanding to this day, barrel quality and breech lock up no issues either.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Old, full length HW95 in .22. Muzzle weight, thumbhole stock and minor fettling to action and trigger.

I love this gun!
    So you dont think this gun could be improved if it had some of the characteristics of other guns?
    I like the 95 too, but I'd like to try one with a 25mm piston and a bit shorter stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I love you guys

Pete
    I do worry about you sometimes, Pete.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I do worry about you sometimes, Pete.
    Why do you think I won't go to a boinger bash, it'll turn into a gang bang

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I love you guys

Pete
    Your sentiments are well received, yes, I have the 635 Magnum, the Challengers and Carbine Challenger. Bloody lovely break barrel springers tell 'ew mam. Keep 'em coming, as the actress said to the bishop, nice to see the old classic BSA's getting a mention in this thread. Otherwise, those angry HW cultists will dominate this thread after doing a bit of leaky breeches and filing the galling with tales of wonderment - in your dreams.....

As if by luck, Tom Gaylord, on his pyramydairblog, has today started a series on designing a break barrel springer from scratch.

Lots of topics and potential design features mentioned, including narrow bore / long stroke, barrel, breech security and trigger etc. Just the sorts of things we often talk about on here.

Be interesting to keep an eye on it and see how it progresses.

Can anyone do a link to it, please, as I'm hopeless at stuff like that?

Some of his thinking may not quite align with some of our esteemed home tuners, though.

Hmmm.....if we HAD to re-engineer a rifle, the adaptable, previously mentioned HW95 would still make a fantastic base platform and we've had reduced bore ones already. So nothing new in the following, but would be an easy conversion and cover many of Mr Gaylord's design wants - 23mm bore, buttoned piston and custom fitted guides on design specific spring. Rekord trigger still outstanding to this day, barrel quality and breech lock up no issues either.
    I stopped reading when he mentioned the record and air arms trigger, followed by 'we don't need a trigger that good in our ideal air rifle'. Followed by the Sig trigger which is more limiting in its adjustments, more complex in design, and requiring more components to make.

I assume the rest of that blog post will just be continuing to praise Sig.

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    So you dont think this gun could be improved if it had some of the characteristics of other guns?
    I like the 95 too, but I'd like to try one with a 25mm piston and a bit shorter stroke.
    Yes, this one does have the characteristics of some other guns. It has the swept volume of a 25mm Hw77, a custom stock and trigger that fit me, unlike the HW ones designed for apes.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    I stopped reading when he mentioned the record and air arms trigger, followed by 'we don't need a trigger that good in our ideal air rifle'. Followed by the Sig trigger which is more limiting in its adjustments, more complex in design, and requiring more components to make.

I assume the rest of that blog post will just be continuing to praise Sig.
    Yes, Gaylord often sells a product.

I have dreamt up a lot of "optimal springers", and gathered a lot of spares/project air rifle actions that are possible candidates for the project:
    Bam B-26, action with a cut off barrel
    CZ 631, action with a rusted barrel
    Norica Jet, action with a cut off barrel
    Cometa 300, complete rifle with a broken stock
    A few supersport actions and barrels
    Some B-3 pistons and other parts

The ideas have been many:
    -a supersport with rotating 25mm piston
    -B-26 with longer latch rod and new trigger blade, plus a good barrel
    -B-26 with a shortened cylinder
    -CZ 631 with a new rear block with rekord trigger (inspired by someones picture of the alleged AA breakbarrel prototype)
    -Cometa 300 action with a new piston and rekord trigger.

But I havent gotten around to doing any of these projects, modfications like these require more work than people realize.

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    Can't disagree with any of that.

However, I think it will still be an interesting series to follow. Many of his ideas won't correlate exactly with the (in my opinion) superior UK thinking, even that of our "amateur shed tuners" -(amateur obviously in the literal sense, as in on a non-professional basis), but I'll certainly be interesting in seeing how far this goes.

And it ain't going to be a GTS.

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    I have dreamt up a lot of "optimal springers", and gathered a lot of spares/project air rifle actions that are possible candidates for the project:
    Bam B-26, action with a cut off barrel
    CZ 631, action with a rusted barrel
    Norica Jet, action with a cut off barrel
    Cometa 300, complete rifle with a broken stock
    A few supersport actions and barrels
    Some B-3 pistons and other parts

The ideas have been many:
    -a supersport with rotating 25mm piston
    -B-26 with longer latch rod and new trigger blade, plus a good barrel
    -B-26 with a shortened cylinder
    -CZ 631 with a new rear block with rekord trigger (inspired by someones picture of the alleged AA breakbarrel prototype)
    -Cometa 300 action with a new piston and rekord trigger.

But I havent gotten around to doing any of these projects, modfications like these require more work than people realize.
    I can well appreciate the work required there, evert. And I'm severely curtailed by lack of workshop space, equipment and tolerant partner.

You've certainly got plenty to keep you going there.

Dunno about perfection, but a Walther LGV with a Rekord trigger would be pretty close for me.

If a Sporting break barrel has to be relatively light weight, not too long, good trigger, excellent accuracy, sleek lines then my Diana 280 or 34k with their mild tune fit the bill very well without any other modifications.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer