Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 180

Thread: Your perfect sporting breakbarrel?

  1. #121
    look no hands's Avatar
    look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Coventry, even closer to Tony L.
    Posts
    11,209
    Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Any specs on the Custom? Did it have any special internals, or was it just cosmetic?
    Nothing different inside, just had the deluxe beech stock with higher cheek piece and checkered pistol grip, Superstar trigger, breech bolt barrel pivot instead of a pin and the maxi grip rail but had they had used that as a starting point then it could of evolved into something better but knowing BSA, probably not.

    Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Cary, NC, USA
    Posts
    240

    Hw95l .22

    My HW95L .22.



    5 at 25.


  3. #123
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    2,337
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Nothing different inside, just had the deluxe beech stock with higher cheek piece and checkered pistol grip, Superstar trigger, breech bolt barrel pivot instead of a pin and the maxi grip rail but had they had used that as a starting point then it could of evolved into something better but knowing BSA, probably not.

    Pete
    Thanks for the info. They put the Superstar trigger on the later Supersports/Lightnings (at least the ones I've seen over here), but kept the basic pivot pin.
    Too many airguns!

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    2,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis299 View Post
    My HW95L .22.



    5 at 25.

    I seem to remember that you put a JM/ARH full power Hornet kit in your 95?
    Too many airguns!

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Retford, Notts
    Posts
    31,759
    Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    So, I finally have a second hand wood stocked LGV coming in the mail.. just hoping its a good one!
    Lovely; enjoy.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 20/21, 2023........BOING!!

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Retford, Notts
    Posts
    31,759
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    as you say Tone the 99 is pretty good, I'm still waiting to try an all singing, all dancing one, just to see how good they can be before I'm fully convinced, the trouble is trying other people's rifles at the bash is they are often not set up for you, so you may pick up a rifle that shoots fantastic but because the scope isn't set up to your eyes or the trigger isn't how you'd normally have it or the stock doesn't fit you, it can taint your shooting experience with it and may be put you off, settling down with your own personal favourite and just plinking away is a massive joy.

    Pete
    I know what you mean, Pete.. One of the great things about The Bash is the opportunity it presents to try other rifles out, but sometimes it's just nice to settle into your personal groove for a while and enjoy some meditative springer therapy..
    Amongst my many "to be started" projects there's a "needing final tweaks" one.......the first 99 I bought. I bought this one used, to dip my toe in the water, so to speak, after the scare stories. It's a .22. I fitted a WonkyDonky kit and it shoots absolutely sublimely. I may not have actually gone quite to town enough as regards sorting the cocking lever out, which I must get around to one day. When built I only used it on opens and believe the set-up suits the rifle's compact lines and light weight nicely. Maybe I ought to get this fettle actually finished, scope her up and bring it along; I'm sure you'd enjoy.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 20/21, 2023........BOING!!

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Walsall, Midlands Uk
    Posts
    10,781
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I know what you mean, Pete.. One of the great things about The Bash is the opportunity it presents to try other rifles out, but sometimes it's just nice to settle into your personal groove for a while and enjoy some meditative springer therapy..
    Amongst my many "to be started" projects there's a "needing final tweaks" one.......the first 99 I bought. I bought this one used, to dip my toe in the water, so to speak, after the scare stories. It's a .22. I fitted a WonkyDonky kit and it shoots absolutely sublimely. I may not have actually gone quite to town enough as regards sorting the cocking lever out, which I must get around to one day. When built I only used it on opens and believe the set-up suits the rifle's compact lines and light weight nicely. Maybe I ought to get this fettle actually finished, scope her up and bring it along; I'm sure you'd enjoy.
    Same here, mate - I also have a .22 99 that requires work but I just don't get time. If I start it this morning, I may finally get it done by next September bash and we can compare them
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

  8. #128
    look no hands's Avatar
    look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Coventry, even closer to Tony L.
    Posts
    11,209
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I know what you mean, Pete.. One of the great things about The Bash is the opportunity it presents to try other rifles out, but sometimes it's just nice to settle into your personal groove for a while and enjoy some meditative springer therapy..
    Amongst my many "to be started" projects there's a "needing final tweaks" one.......the first 99 I bought. I bought this one used, to dip my toe in the water, so to speak, after the scare stories. It's a .22. I fitted a WonkyDonky kit and it shoots absolutely sublimely. I may not have actually gone quite to town enough as regards sorting the cocking lever out, which I must get around to one day. When built I only used it on opens and believe the set-up suits the rifle's compact lines and light weight nicely. Maybe I ought to get this fettle actually finished, scope her up and bring it along; I'm sure you'd enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    Same here, mate - I also have a .22 99 that requires work but I just don't get time. If I start it this morning, I may finally get it done by next September bash and we can compare them
    This feels a bit like a friendly challenge coming on, may be I need to do a 99 with a .25 flake, unless I do what Craig said at the bash and put the LGV piston I have in an 80 (but then that defeats the 99 object then) but like Craig says, I have so many other projects to finish first with so little time to do them in.
    Last edited by look no hands; 05-10-2022 at 08:10 AM.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Jacarilla
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    The lightnings and supersports can be very good IF you have a good example and set it up properly.
    On the other hand, a bad example can be a mess.
    My lightning was a total disappointment .

    I sold it on after a few years.

    My Supersport, is old , but so nice to shoot, I absolutely love it !

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Posts
    1,469
    Perfect sporting break barrel? Feinwerkbau Sport. I have a rough looking 127, and I love it. Perfect weight, accurate, easy to cock, and although the trigger is no Rekord, it's adequate. Alas, it's in the cabinet back in England and I've not shot it for three years. Really want to get it over here asap.

  11. #131
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Truro
    Posts
    29
    Perfect break barrel... for me that would be the Cometa Fenix 400USC in .22 running anywhere between 8.5 and 11.4.*
    The only thing these need:
    Make sure the spring ends can rotate / fit slippy washers / grease correctly.
    Remove the little spacer on the triggers second stage adjustment.

    I rate this rifle highly enough that I'm very close to buying a second... in .22.
    I've had HW's and yes, Great trigger but on the whole, they're like a Mk2 Ford Escort 1.1... great place to start if your gonna throw money at it and make it something special.

    *I will confess that when 'upping' the power, I went over the top with the washers and blimey it can make Serious power And retain its excellent shooting charactaristics.

  12. #132
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    durham
    Posts
    3,283

    Your perfect sporting breakbarrel?

    Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Finally some of my theoretical dream guns are starting to become reality!
    The cometa 300 is my first candidate, this is the work I have done so far:
    -sleeved up a Bam B26 rear block to fit the 26mm cometa tube.
    -Started converting an old CZ631 piston to fit the rekord trigger.

    The goal is a medium size breakbarrel with 26mm HW seal, 84-85mm stroke, one piece cocking linkage and rekord trigger.
    like a FWB sport with a record in it then evert?

  13. #133
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    durham
    Posts
    3,283

    Your perfect sporting breakbarrel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry B View Post
    My lightning was a total disappointment .

    I sold it on after a few years.

    My Supersport, is old , but so nice to shoot, I absolutely love it !
    Like the dozen or so i've had my hands on then, i had a great supersport though once but sold it for someones sons 18th birthday present. Really would love to shoot a good lightning sometime though as i love it's looks.

  14. #134
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    durham
    Posts
    3,283

    Your perfect sporting breakbarrel?

    Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Finally some of my theoretical dream guns are starting to become reality!
    The cometa 300 is my first candidate, this is the work I have done so far:
    -sleeved up a Bam B26 rear block to fit the 26mm cometa tube.
    -Started converting an old CZ631 piston to fit the rekord trigger.

    The goal is a medium size breakbarrel with 26mm HW seal, 84-85mm stroke, one piece cocking linkage and rekord trigger.
    like a FWB sport with a record in it then evert?

  15. #135
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Walsall, Midlands Uk
    Posts
    10,781
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    This feels a bit like a friendly challenge coming on, may be I need to do a 99 with a .25 flake, unless I do what Craig said at the bash and put the LGV piston I have in an 80 (but then that defeats the 99 object then) but like Craig says, I have so many other projects to finish first with so little time to do them in.
    Tony wins straight away. I can safely guarantee my rifles will still be in pieces by that date - and those pieces will be scattered all over the house (and the houses of friends) for a long time...
    My .25 HW95 however, should be finished - that's only taken me four years to get around to it...
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •