Thread: Benjamin 397P Phase 1

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I've got into the habit of cocking them before pumping, just in case the hammer is resting on the valve.

The Williams peep may have shot too far to the right, I think grinding off a little on the back of the sight will allow the aperture to come over.

A nice day for plinking and zeroing today, a slight adjustment to the crude sights and it was bang on at 20 yards. The sights are very basic but focusing on the front blade as if using a peep sight seems to be the best way to use them.

It's the first time testing the accuracy and it grouped quite well with cheap pellets, I will try JSBs next time.

One job I did before shooting it was to replace the clunking rectangular lever rivet. So I drilled the keyed side and punched it out.

The spring lever had quite a rough spot where the lever link
    has contacted it so everything got smoothed out and cleaned up.

The rivet was very ovalled but the lever holes were still nice and round thanks to the rivet being sacrificial.

I installed a new rivet from Mac1 airguns, it sat a little proud so I filed it down a little once installed.

Unlike the previous owner, I will be keeping it well lubricated. It now pumps up smoothly without sounding like an arthritic Knee joint.
    Last edited by ratbuster2240; 29-03-2021 at 09:43 PM.

it's suprising how much the rivet can wear and you were looky that the lik arm hadn't worn

Ped, I was putting off this job because I was worried about causing more damage but now I've done it I'm confident doing it again.

Apparently having a lot of slop can cause power to be lost. It must change the lever geometry reducing the amount of air going in with each pump.
    Last edited by ratbuster2240; 30-03-2021 at 04:51 PM.

it does with a fixed piston as the head space is increased but if you have an adj piston the play can be eliminated but it then inc wear

That makes sense, the adjustable piston compensates for wear in several areas and not just the rubber pump cup.

Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    it does with a fixed piston as the head space is increased but if you have an adj piston the play can be eliminated but it then inc wear

Great results and improvements.
    Your Benjamin looks great in the sun!
    Have you done a shot string?

Cheers, Louis

Ps. I still need to take my 347 out of its slip to check where and when it was made. Will do!