Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast

Thread: Benjamin 397P Phase 1

Anodised would be the best option. Please let me know when you're next doing a batch. The tech sights were for my Marlin and are good quality.

Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    that rear sight suits it down to a t
    sadly my anodising tank is out of commision at present or i would've anodised the new band for you

Great work from Ped -- these old (and in this case, rare) guns need to be restored and kept working -- it looks to be a nice example.
    I was offered one a few years ago but foolishly passed on it because it needed fettling to get it below the legal limit.

Having had a look at the schematic diagrams I left this one to Ped. The good thing about the 77a is that the pump effort is low compared to Benjis & Dan's and more like a crosman 1377.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanM View Post
    Great work from Ped -- these old (and in this case, rare) guns need to be restored and kept working -- it looks to be a nice example.
    I was offered one a few years ago but foolishly passed on it because it needed fettling to get it below the legal limit.

I've changed 1322/backpacker alloy flat top valve and plastic piston back to original style, only in brass. Brass seems to be a good material for multi pump airguns and if it was good enough for Benjamin and Sheridan to use for over half a century it's good enough today.
    It won't oxidise, bend or break like the other designs. Thanks again to Ped for finding me an older brass 1322 valve and seals.

Brass solid piston and durable original pump cup.

Pump arm reinforcing spacer.

Polished pump tube and valve face.

Aligned valve hole with brass and silicon tubing transfer port.

that's proppa shiney James far shinier than when i sent it

Just a quick going over on the buffing wheel, I do prefer the bling inside the gun

Hopefully the power isn't down by much and it's still as consistent without the FT valve and piston.

Another re-sealed Benjamin 397P project thanks to Neil54 for finding it.

It came with a few screws missing and only doing 5ft-lbs but still holding air.
    All the seals have been replaced with synthetic except for the piston seal and it's now doing nearly 11ftlbs. It shouldn't need opening up again for a very long time.

Very nice! Thank you for sharing once again, James.
    The Backpacker internals looks spot on.
    Interesting to see that you are using a ptfe or nylon valve head in the Benjamin.
    I always thought that they don't work well in pumpers? This looks like an easier solution than have the valve stems resealed.
    Cheers, Louis

they work fine Louis and are what is fitted in the Mac 1 steroids Tim uses a delrin inlet as well but i prefer the pu90 seal i supply in my kits

Hello old friend, the Benjamin Discovery exhaust valves are very efficient and robust so I've used them in most of the valves now and they seem to give a few more fps. I think this is probably why they are used in the steroided ones.

I have a Mac1 ptfe inlet seal and they advise giving it a few taps to bed it in. I haven't used it because I like the original inlet seal carriers with a poly seal.

If you use the harder ptfe seals it's worth making sure the surfaces they mate up to are as smooth as possible, they aren't as forgiving as rubber.

I enjoyed shooting the Backpacker today I ditched the peep sight and put an old 4x20 scope on and it shot some tight groups.

Both sounding very good, James.. I can't view the images right now (using an ageing device that's allowing very little) but I should be able to see them on the phone later.

Well done.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

That sounds very good, ped and ratbuster.
    A good option for the future: a Discovery exhaust valve.
    Cheers, Louis

After shooting your 1377 carbine at the last bash I had to have a tinker with mine. There were thousands of pounds worth of nice air rifles the 1377 was knocking over the targets just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Both sounding very good, James.. I can't view the images right now (using an ageing device that's allowing very little) but I should be able to see them on the phone later.

Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by ratbuster2240 View Post
    After shooting your 1377 carbine at the last bash I had to have a tinker with mine. There were thousands of pounds worth of nice air rifles the 1377 was knocking over the targets just as well.
    Oh wow! I've just managed to view those images. Lovely. You should be well proud. Thank you for the kind comments re my little 1377. But yours are lovelier. Could I have a quick go at the next Bash, please?

I might have to do something with my other 1377 now......currently standard pistol in castrated form with the valve with the bleed hole.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Try and resist Tony you know how slippery slopes these become! But they do make great projects during the wintry months. Let me know if you need any spares I can have a look.