Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Conical Bullet For Ruger Old Army Revolver.

conical

this one i did try and got quite good results with it at 25m
    put the conical in back to front, it works like a wad cutter,
    lovely neat holes
    i still ended up back with round ball, but it was different,
    have fun what ever you try,
    T

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    My ROA is the 7.5" stainless version, it shoots best with stout loads and .457 ball. I don't have a BP licence, so use 777 instead. A .44 Special case full works for me, makes a lot of smoke though.

Quote Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
    My ROA is the 7.5" stainless version, it shoots best with stout loads and .457 ball. I don't have a BP licence, so use 777 instead. A .44 Special case full works for me, makes a lot of smoke though.
    Not having a .44 Sp case handy, can you measure that load in WEIGHT, please? Remembering, all the time, that T7 does NOT like to be compressed.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Not having a .44 Sp case handy, can you measure that load in WEIGHT, please? Remembering, all the time, that T7 does NOT like to be compressed.
    usually its between 12 and 13 gns
    edit
    this is what people find the most accurate but i heard folk using 40 gns of it
    Last edited by loiner1965; 30-07-2020 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    usually its between 12 and 13 gns
    edit
    this is what people find the most accurate but i heard folk using 40 gns of it
    A charge of 13grns (weighed) of Hodgdon 777 with a lubricated wad and a .457 swaged rather than a cast ball also works for me. I find the Old Army a bit too heavy to shoot with a one hand precision stance, but do quite well with a two handed hold. Even though this might be considered a light load, it provides enough recoil and noise while still being comfortable to shoot.

https://imgur.com/WooJXhf

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    A chap at my club uses 777 with great effect as he can control how far he seats his balls ( ohhh errr missus)with the rammer , I , on the other hand cannot lol so if I did use 777 I would seat the balls off the revolver in an adjustable press and measure so I don't compress the powder charge too much .