Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conical Bullet For Ruger Old Army Revolver.

Conical Bullet For Ruger Old Army Revolver.

Hello,
    Can anybody recommend a commercially available soft lead conical bullet that would be suitable for use in a Ruger Old Army.
    Thanks
    Brian

Looking forward to see what people say on this

There’s some info here
    http://www.dixieslugs.com/images/ROA_complete_.pdf

ATB
    James

Quote Originally Posted by JB101 View Post
    Looking forward to see what people say on this

There’s some info here
    http://www.dixieslugs.com/images/ROA_complete_.pdf

ATB
    James
    I'll be frank with you, even though my name is tac, unless you are going hunting with your ROA, and UK that's a HUGE NOPE! you really are wasting your money by shooting a conical in it. The Lee mould that I have makes one of each - ball and conical - and TBH, conicals were something I tried way back when I got my ROA, in 1986.

And not since...

However, if you are happy to send to the USA for your bullets, and pay the shipping charges or cast your own, good luck - it's your gun.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    I'll be frank with you, even though my name is tac, unless you are going hunting with your ROA, and UK that's a HUGE NOPE! you really are wasting your money by shooting a conical in it. The Lee mould that I have makes one of each - ball and conical - and TBH, conicals were something I tried way back when I got my ROA, in 1986.

And not since...

However, if you are happy to send to the USA for your bullets, and pay the shipping charges or cast your own, good luck - it's your gun.
    To be honest it was really a hypothetical question as I don't have any issues with round ball, but theoretically anyway a conical bullet would seem to be more efficient given that it has is more engagement with the rifled barrel. My ROA has been converted to shoot smokeless powder so I just wondered whether a conical bullet might perform better than a standard .457 round ball in the Ruger.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    To be honest it was really a hypothetical question as I don't have any issues with round ball, but theoretically anyway a conical bullet would seem to be more efficient given that it has is more engagement with the rifled barrel. My ROA has been converted to shoot smokeless powder so I just wondered whether a conical bullet might perform better than a standard .457 round ball in the Ruger.
    Brian
    think i have a lee .457 hollow point mold for the ruger.....
    edit.....its a .456 220gn hollow point mold by lee designed for the ruger old army
    you can borrow it by all means
    Last edited by loiner1965; 18-07-2020 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post

And not since...

interesting reading there tac.....many thanks

I used the Lee conical mould for over a year when I first got the pistol. I thought I was shooting pretty good until I gave ball a try and straight away my average group size halved. I never went back to conical.

Thanks for the responses that have confirmed my suspicions that there would probably be no benefit from using a conical bullet rather than a round ball in the ROA.
    Brian

Yup, the conical requires that maximum or almost maximum loads be used, there is, after all, a lot more surface engagement on the conical than there is with the 'belt' around the ball.

As for shooting it with a nitro load, I'm not sure about that, as I was always of the mind that the nitro conversion was designed to shoot ball, rather than conicals. You might like to talk to Mr Westlake about that, if he is the one who converted your ROA.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Thanks for the responses that have confirmed my suspicions that there would probably be no benefit from using a conical bullet rather than a round ball in the ROA.
    Brian
    Sure there is, IF you have the chambers opened out, as a lot of people over there have done, AND stuff that cylinder with 40gr of 3Fg, and need it to shoot hogs in the chest at ten feet or less.

Over here, though, killing paper, I've stuck to the ball except when a guest, who may have heard of a conical, wants to try. Usually just one shot is enough.

I've tried conicals in a Uberti Police and they move forwards out of the chamber with the recoil. I had to check them everytime after a couple of shots. They were tight to squeeze in and I did not expect them to move under the recoil. I find ball much easier to load, not as much strain on the loading lever, and they are more accurate.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    No-one at my muzzle loading club who have tried conicals have had any success. The general view is that the twist rate suitable for a ball (typically 1 in 40") is just too low for a conical.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Thanks guys, well worth a discussion to clarify the reasons why ball is preferable to a conical bullet in the muzzle loading revolver.
    Brian

conical

i am sure i have some, some where,
    as with the others i went back to round ball
    PM me your address and i will send you some to try,
    stay safe
    T

Quote Originally Posted by TALL View Post
    i am sure i have some, some where,
    as with the others i went back to round ball
    PM me your address and i will send you some to try,
    stay safe
    T
    Hello,
    Much appreciated, but as expected the general consensus suggests it's not a wise move, so I will stick with round ball.
    Brian