Thread: gun bore oil

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Just a couple of things I thought I would mention.

All oils tend to dry to some extent and most leave a brown residue - is that what you are seeing on your patch?

All barrels have micro cracks and micro pores. These tend to weep crud over a few days - could this be what you are seeing on your patch?
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Just a couple of things I thought I would mention.

All oils tend to dry to some extent and most leave a brown residue - is that what you are seeing on your patch?

All barrels have micro cracks and micro pores. These tend to weep crud over a few days - could this be what you are seeing on your patch?
    i think it is too......as in post 5 but you explained it better lol

When I first started muzzleloading I was told by one of the older blokes that modern detergents, fairy liquid and the like, contain pure salt to make them froth up. He said use Stardrops there is no salt in it. I have been using it ever since and found it works.
    When I clean my bore I use a wool mop and stand the barrel in a bucket of hot water and use the mop like a plunger, going up and down and drawing the water through the barrel until it comes out of the muzzle. I change the water for a second clean and then I change it a third time but without soap so I can flush everything out and then I dry the barrel with ordinary patches. Then I oil it. I have never had any problems with rust using that method.
    Everyone has their own method and they all work. It is essential the barrel is dry before oiling it. Don't bother with WD40. It will remove moisture but it does NOT stop rust forming.
    Before I put the gun away I put a small piece of cloth on the nipple and lower the hammer to hold it in place. I find this stops any excess oil draining out and going on the woodwork and the cabinet floor.
    I usually run a dry patch through the gun before I go out with it so it is free of oil so when I flash off and any excess is burnt off or blown out of the nipple to reduce the chance of a misfire.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    When I first started muzzleloading I was told by one of the older blokes that modern detergents, fairy liquid and the like, contain pure salt to make them froth up. He said use Stardrops there is no salt in it. I have been using it ever since and found it works.
    When I clean my bore I use a wool mop and stand the barrel in a bucket of hot water and use the mop like a plunger, going up and down and drawing the water through the barrel until it comes out of the muzzle. I change the water for a second clean and then I change it a third time but without soap so I can flush everything out and then I dry the barrel with ordinary patches. Then I oil it. I have never had any problems with rust using that method.
    Everyone has their own method and they all work. It is essential the barrel is dry before oiling it. Don't bother with WD40. It will remove moisture but it does NOT stop rust forming.
    Before I put the gun away I put a small piece of cloth on the nipple and lower the hammer to hold it in place. I find this stops any excess oil draining out and going on the woodwork and the cabinet floor.
    I usually run a dry patch through the gun before I go out with it so it is free of oil so when I flash off and any excess is burnt off or blown out of the nipple to reduce the chance of a misfire.
    How odd it is that we both use almost the identical method.

MY version is different because I stand my m/l rifle on the muzzle, so that any crud runs down onto the pad of cloth in the muzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    How odd it is that we both use almost the identical method.

MY version is different because I stand my m/l rifle on the muzzle, so that any crud runs down onto the pad of cloth in the muzzle.
    i have 3 x eic 1842 e and f versions..... a brown bess and a really nice eic fusil , but not on my ticket so cannot shoot them so not fussed in cleaning them lol
    the fusil is a type 2 1842 .....originally an eic but captured by some muslim militia and stamped with a crescent moon ( ottaman )
    Last edited by loiner1965; 04-08-2020 at 07:32 PM.

This is the crud that is coming out of the Le Page pistol after 7 days from cleaning.

https://ibb.co/MnCxLHP

The pistol was washed out with ballistol until the patches were totally clean.
    The bore was dried with patches and then oiled up with a mop with pure Ballistol.

Our house is dehumidified and a constant 20c it's also summer now and not rained in 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChipShoulder View Post
    This is the crud that is coming out of the Le Page pistol after 7 days from cleaning.

https://ibb.co/MnCxLHP

The pistol was washed out with ballistol until the patches were totally clean.
    The bore was dried with patches and then oiled up with a mop with pure Ballistol.

Our house is dehumidified and a constant 20c it's also summer now and not rained in 2 weeks.
    Hmmmmmmm, it surely do look like rust to me. I've no idea what to suggest to you - I don't have anything to go by as an example since none of my guns, old and very old, have ever looked like that at any time.

I'd be grateful if you would allow me to post that image on muzzleloadingforum.com, where about a 1/4 million BP shooters might have a better idea of what to do.