Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 44 loads with unique

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    its still working for me in 7.5x55
    Ah, but waht was so nice about 577 Snider was that finishing with half-a-dozen rounds of Unique blew away every trace of fouling from the Pyrodex I was using for the other 50 rounds...

Or maybe it was the polenta filling I was using did that?
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Thank you, Sir. I'll make some up to try for when we can get back to the range.
    just had a look further back in my notes, I did load some with 11.5grns unique for 1400 fps, settled on the 16grn load as really no cost implication and I intend to try it more at 100/200 when we can go to the range again, very soft shooting load with almost no recoil, I have a 200 grn mould which I was planning to try in my 1889 but with the current situation I suspect my FEO would be loath to let me add it to my FAC so that will wait, may try them in the K31 but they will protrude a ways into the case .
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Quote Originally Posted by bagup37 View Post
    thanks simgre did 15 rounds of 6.5gr not much whoomf but nice and accurate at 25m will try 8gr for a bit more poke!
    6.5gn Unique is my go to load for this combination bits and nice pleasant indoor shooting.

Do you really need more poke? Save powder and the paper target will be just as holed.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

Quote Originally Posted by MikB View Post
    Ah, but waht was so nice about 577 Snider was that finishing with half-a-dozen rounds of Unique blew away every trace of fouling from the Pyrodex I was using for the other 50 rounds...

Or maybe it was the polenta filling I was using did that?
    i do this with the martini henry.
    after shooting with bp i then switch to rounds with 37gns of reloder 7 or imr 4198 just to clear its throat

Hi folks,

What are people finding a good way to measure Unique?

My powder thrower is rubbish with it and I struggle to get consistency with Lee Dippers. Any hints?

Scrummy

Quote Originally Posted by simgre View Post
    6.0gns of Unique with a 240gn RNFP, is pretty much the standard .44 load in our club. It's .44spl data in a magnum case. No issues. A recipe I started with 30 years ago for a accurate revolver load and it transferred over to carbines just as well.

With jacketed take it up to 6.5gns.
    I use that load of 6.0-6.5 grains Unique with the .357 using 158gn bullets. Works well in my Taurus & Winchester 94
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Thanks very much.

Do you weigh each charge?

Best wishes,

Scrummy

Quote Originally Posted by Scrumbag View Post
    Hi folks,

What are people finding a good way to measure Unique?

My powder thrower is rubbish with it and I struggle to get consistency with Lee Dippers. Any hints?

Scrummy
    IIRC I had a Lyman powder measure. I used to tap the micrometer head to its limit of travel three times to fill it to the same level for the 5.8gn. Unique load that I used for tens of thousands of 9mm. loads back in pistol days in the 80s. It seemed to throw mostly within 0.1gn.
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrumbag View Post
    Thanks very much.

Do you weigh each charge?

Best wishes,

Scrummy
    No, just throw 10 charges, divide by 10 for average & that's good enough for my 357 guns.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!