Thread: Pre war Diana mod 27 rear sight /parts wanted

Pre war Diana mod 27 rear sight /parts wanted

As per title, I'm restoring an early Mod 27 and its missing its rear sight elevation wheel, I'd really like the later post war tangent type (slide forward /backward for elevation) if anyone has one, or knows of one? I did find a chap who had the parts but have lost his contact details
    Thanks
    Mark

There was also a pre-war version of that stamped-metal slider sight. The post-war slider looks similar but differs in detail; its transverse mounting dovetail is slightly smaller, but can be shimmed to work.

The post-war version of the sight was made in large numbers, and also used on other makes of guns. Last time I looked, one of the German supply houses (don't recall whether Schneider or Gotha) still had new ones in stock. Another source might be a Milbro rifle. I have an 1952-vintage Milbro 27 that actually has a pre-war sight.

Left to right: pre-war German model 27, 1952 Milbro 27, post-war German model 27, NOS replacement sight.

Last edited by MDriskill; 30-07-2022 at 09:35 PM.

May not be relevant, but meant to mention earlier that I have a 1920's-vintage 27 with the leaf-type sight. It doesn't have an elevation wheel per se - just a simple screw which, as far as I can tell is original.

I would also note that on the later guns, the "slider" sight sits in a shallow flat area milled into the curved top of the breech block. The earlier breech block has no such flat, so I don't know how well the later sight might work.

Last edited by MDriskill; 28-07-2022 at 12:58 PM.