Thread: Webley Service Mk 2 - Broken Barrel Joint/Pivot Pin

Webley Service Mk 2 - Broken Barrel Joint/Pivot Pin

Does anybody know of an alternative pivot pin that can be engineered to replace the barrel joint/pivot pin on my Webley Service Mk 2? Luckily no other damage occurred - one half fell out when putting in its case....
    Measuring the 2 parts and appreciating that at 80+ years old there is bound to be some wear, the measurements are:
    Lenghth = 1250 thou
    Diameter = 260 thou tapered to 244 thou
    Hole for Keeper Screw (Part No. 117C) = 110 thou diameter x 177 thou deep

The Barrel Pivot Pin is Part 116c on Mk 2 Service Rifle schematic as shown on John Knibbs website. Unfortunately J K has none in stock. I've asked to be notified by J K if/when one comes in.

Cheers

Bill Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Billc View Post
    Does anybody know of an alternative pivot pin that can be engineered to replace the barrel joint/pivot pin on my Webley Service Mk 2? Luckily no other damage occurred - one half fell out when putting in its case....
    Measuring the 2 parts and appreciating that at 80+ years old there is bound to be some wear, the measurements are:
    Lenghth = 1250 thou
    Diameter = 260 thou tapered to 244 thou
    Hole for Keeper Screw (Part No. 117C) = 110 thou diameter x 177 thou deep

The Barrel Pivot Pin is Part 116c on Mk 2 Service Rifle schematic as shown on John Knibbs website. Unfortunately J K has none in stock. I've asked to be notified by J K if/when one comes in.

Cheers

Bill Clarke
    From memory, someone in this section made one from a snapped off 1/4'' drill bit.

I'll make you one if you're stuck...

Strangely enough that just happened on mine as well.

I'm assuming then, that I bought the last one!

Its nothing special though and anyone with a hobby lathe could duplicate it quite quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    From memory, someone in this section made one from a snapped off 1/4'' drill bit.
    I'll give that a try - must say something about my engineering skills, but I may have the odd 1/4 drill shank in the shed - may be a bit small for on side. I'll post result.

Quote Originally Posted by Farsight View Post
    I'll make you one if you're stuck...
    That would be great, do you want me to send the old one? And is there a preferred/recommend payment method?

Is there a private message system to exchange address etc...?

Is there a private message system to exchange address etc...?
    Hi Bill --- click on Farsight's name and a box will appear with " private message" click on that and away you go.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by steve medlock View Post
    Strangely enough that just happened on mine as well.

I'm assuming then, that I bought the last one!

Its nothing special though and anyone with a hobby lathe could duplicate it quite quickly.

I didn't notice any difference in cocking/firing and I'd fired a few pellets during the morning. Actually hit a few things.

I passed up a Myford Super 7 for £850 a couple of years ago. Just looked at their website - "NEW SUPER 7 CONNOISSEUR LATHE" - only £9K.. exc VAT

I didn't notice any difference in cocking/firing and I'd fired a few pellets during the morning. Actually hit a few things.

I passed up a Myford Super 7 for £850 a couple of years ago. Just looked at their website - "NEW SUPER 7 CONNOISSEUR LATHE" - only £9K.. exc VAT

No mine was working fine too. I didn't realise that anything was wrong until one side of the pin fell out. I think BSA made the centre hole larger than it needs to be - a depression would have been enough for the grub screw to hold it in place.

I bought a second hand 'Axminster' branded Chinese lathe about a year or so ago and I've been using it to make and repair all sorts of things since.

Steve.

Webley Service Mk 2 Broken Barrel pivot pin - sorted

Many thanks to Farsight for 2 barrel pivot pins - rifle is now cocking beautifully and (some times) hitting things on the range.

Cheers

Smile

I made one from a 1/4" HSS drill, In the middle I cut a small v for the grubscrew to hold it, After i'd finished and blued the ends I found a spare one in the bottom of the gunslip!

I had to make a grubscrew by cutting the head off a setcrew then using a junior hacksaw to make a slot to drive it home, Turned a little too hard and snapped the slot so i'm not sure it would come out again!

The genuine one has a threaded hole which makes them inherently weak!, Bad design

The gun shoots with low power, The bronze ring looks worn out to me so I bought a new one, Never replaced it and have no idea where the heck it is now!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I made one from a 1/4" HSS drill, In the middle I cut a small v for the grubscrew to hold it, After i'd finished and blued the ends I found a spare one in the bottom of the gunslip!

I had to make a grubscrew by cutting the head off a setcrew then using a junior hacksaw to make a slot to drive it home, Turned a little too hard and snapped the slot so i'm not sure it would come out again!

The genuine one has a threaded hole which makes them inherently weak!, Bad design

The gun shoots with low power, The bronze ring looks worn out to me so I bought a new one, Never replaced it and have no idea where the heck it is now!

John

Put it back together and use some nice thick engine oil to lubricate it. you might find the power magically returns