Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My DIY Vintage style air rifle case

My DIY Vintage style air rifle case

Hi all,
    I finally finished making a case for my 1880's Oscar Will Hebelspanner from scratch and thought it may be of interest.

[IMG][/IMG]

I made it from wood and brass and drew inspiration from a contemporary Oscar Will guncase that featured studding details which gave the case a very Germanic feel.

[IMG][/IMG]

As this wasn't a particularly expensive airgun when it was first sold I decided against a leather clad case, and decided to approach the project from the point of view of an enthusiastic owner of the time, who had plenty of time, if not money.

One thing I was determined to do was introduce some details that reflected some of the design details of the gun.
    So I made some inlaid brass plates shaped to echo the Fluer de lis and Oakleaf patterns carved into the stock, and a mate made me a steel handle to reflect the curley trigger guard.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

All the brasswork was tarnished with Casey aluminium black and rubbed back, and the woodwork was scorched with a blowtorch, gone over with a wire brush wheel, and then dented with chains. Then it was sanded back and had several coats of oak, and walnut stain applied. Finally finished with Briwax.

The finish I wanted was that of a battered old pub bar top.

[IMG][/IMG]

I fitted the interior out with red baize, dividers and leather lid straps. Dust was blown over the interior to age it a bit.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I am very happy with the results, I did it during my lunch breaks over a period of several months. In my job as a prop/modelmaker I am always constrained by deadlines and budgets so it has been a real pleasure to make something as well as I can from start to finish, and I really feel it'll do this beautiful old airgun justice.

Cheers,
    Matt

Lovely job Matt, a lot of detail. Like the wrought iron handle.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Great skill and attention to detail. Nice work 👍
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Love adding a vintage case this is awesome job

The detail is off the chart mate cant wait to see it in the flesh. One of a kind for sure. Lovely.

That is about as good as it gets, for a repro box
    Well done indeed.

I like that , very nice

I have a project [on the back boiler] to build a case for a Victorian air cane, please what wood did you use? the outer edges look like pine? but what did you use for the lid & base? [they did not have plywood back in 1800,s]. I have an old oak wardrobe in my shed & am hoping I can salvage enough thinner wood to suffice. Also I like the locks that you have used, where from?
    kind regards Al.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Fantastic work Matt, and I love your attention to detail when it comes to ageing. The only problem, is it too good? Shouldn't you have to put a big stamp
    on the base saying "Repro" ?

Cheers,
    John

Brilliant work, Matt. Very Teutonic!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by cringe View Post
    what wood did you use? Also I like the locks that you have used, where from?
    kind regards Al.
    Just new pine & ply, but you never see the edge of the ply. Locks were just repro ones from the bay. Would have preferred original antique ones but it meant buying an antique case or box and taking the locks off. Bit pricey and hard to find good ones. Thin oak sounds perfect if you have some.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Fantastic work Matt, and I love your attention to detail when it comes to ageing. The only problem, is it too good? Shouldn't you have to put a big stamp
    on the base saying "Repro" ?

Cheers,
    John
    Thanks John...
    Thinking of your repro pistols I did put a small label on the inner edge of the lid, with my company name dated 2020

Nice job!
    I do like that style, it fits the Kurbelspanner nicely.

==============
    Frank

very good
    be making one for my service soon.
    just getting all the bits together then ill get it started

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    A very nice job indeed, well done.

There's a lot of talent on this forum, first class!

edbear2 Guest
    That's a great job, and being a metal tormentor myself I really think the handle is a nice piece of work, tell your mate well done for me!

ATB, Ed