Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther CP5 date of production

Walther CP5 date of production

Hi, I have a CP5, 5 shot CO2 that could either be an early one or a late one, I just don’t know? I have tried Walther and am waiting for a reply but wondered if anyone here knows of either a list or is there is a formula? I have found info on dating firearms through the proof marks but nothing for air weapons. The serial number is 01121. Any help or info on where to look or who to ask gratefully received.

I have a couple of Walther CP5 rapid fire pistols. The best info I could find was in 'TargetGun' when the CP5 was first released, from memory I think that was 1990-91. Walther were in a race with FWB to be the first to get a 5 shot rapid fire pistol to market, they won!
    I have had in my hand a few CP5 pistols and apart from the finish, all black, black and nickel, all nickel I have not seen a difference in them. They did make a barrel shroud, that added weight and makes the pistol look more purposeful to my eye.

I will look out the serial numbers later, but as with most manufacturers I suspect they ran the numbers in conjunction with other models.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I have a couple of Walther CP5 rapid fire pistols. The best info I could find was in 'TargetGun' when the CP5 was first released, from memory I think that was 1990-91. Walther were in a race with FWB to be the first to get a 5 shot rapid fire pistol to market, they won!
    I have had in my hand a few CP5 pistols and apart from the finish, all black, black and nickel, all nickel I have not seen a difference in them. They did make a barrel shroud, that added weight and makes the pistol look more purposeful to my eye.

I will look out the serial numbers later, but as with most manufacturers I suspect they ran the numbers in conjunction with other models.
    Thanks Mark
    That’s the kind of thing I was after, I did wonder if they numbered all “C” pistols as a model range rather than as individual models. If Walther get back with a date for mine I will pass the info on and maybe we can play dot to dot with other examples as has been done for some other manufacturers.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    According to a German collector/ author friend of mine, the Walther CP5 was introduced in 1989.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post

Hi, I have found pictures of the black and nickel finishes but the only ones I can find with a shroud turned out to be CP5 with a Steyr LP5 shroud, complete with compensator slots (thanks to google translate) It does look a lot more balanced than the bare barrel with the weight / sight ramp sat on it.

Hi, Walther have come back to confirm that this is a 1989 gun, so one of the first out, admittedly I doubt there was a massive production run but an interesting thing.
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    According to a German collector/ author friend of mine, the Walther CP5 was introduced in 1989.
    Hi, do you know of a Walther airgun / air pistol reference work / book? Even if in German 😉

We need photos A boxed all black CP5 and a nickel CP5 with the optional barrel shroud. The shroud does give the pistol a more purposeful look and probably helps in transition across a line of 5 targets.

[IMG]DSC02975 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02974 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]
    DSC02973 by Mark Davis, on Flickr

[IMG]DSC02972 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

DSC02970 by Mark Davis, on Flickr

[IMG]DSC02969 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02968 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02967 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02966 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02964 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02963 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

The one with the shroud on makes the black barrel one look naked and a bit un balanced, those two are stunning. Will dig out the proper camera for photos rather than the iPad.

According to a Walther leaflet I have (pm me and I'll email a copy) the CP5 was made from 1989 to 1991.

I've always wanted to understand how Walther numbered their pistols, it looks like they started a new number range for each new model/development.

So the CP1 has its own range followed by the CP2, CP3 etc. It would be great to build up a database of serial numbers to get an idea of how many of each model were made.

Apart from the LP53 which has a well documented serial number range, there is not much information around on Walther serial numbers.

The rear sight on the CP5 is the same as that on the LP3 and the GSP, in fact the rear sight is still used on the current GSP and even has the same part number!

Database Info:

Walther CP5
    1958 - Boxed - All Blue model
    1041 - All Nickel with Factory Shroud
    1221 - All Blue model

So it’s arrived today, all in good order but there is an odd bit, there is no switch, not only is there no switch there’s no hole in the grip scale to fit one. It does look like the batteries have been replaced (I’m sure Walther didn’t use bits of insulating tape). The batteries were holding 4.73v so have put it on charge and will see if it’s got enough to fire the action. Will probably look to replace the batteries but what about a switch? It either was never there (there is no hole in the scale) or it’s been removed and a new scale has been fitted?

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    What do the targets look like for 10m Rapid Fire? And how far apart are they set, bullseye to bullseye?
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    What do the targets look like for 10m Rapid Fire? And how far apart are they set, bullseye to bullseye?
    Rapid fire targets are solid black about 30cm round with #coring rings that cannot be seen from 25m shooting distance, look on the NSRA shop for size and style. There is a scaled 10m target but we always shot at 25m either with Airguns or cartridge guns.