Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Webley and Scott MKI air rifle....

Webley and Scott MKI air rifle....

wow!!!!

Cant say much more...

As ever, Jimmie, most excellent presentation.

However, I'm not usually a 'rivet counter', far from it actually but to be historically correct the pellet tin should have the word 'rifle' in the singular. This would be correct for what was Webley's first rifle. After the introduction of the mk11 the tins had the plural ie 'rifles' as there was now more than one. Phew!

I got ticked off by a fellow collector many years ago for not knowing this. I suspect this was probably the only/best tin you had to hand for photographic purposes
    and it certainly does the job.

Many thanks for these presentations, very informative, well written and brilliant photography. keep 'em coming.

atb Carl

They're just props to enhance the photo.

Thanks Jimmie for putting me straight, I did think that might be the case.

atb Carl

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

Thumbs up

Very nice job there Jimmie and stunning photography again.

These guns are so aesthetically pleasing - it makes you wonder what the hell they were thinking when they put that design of trigger on???

Quote Originally Posted by le frelon View Post
    Thanks Jimmie for putting me straight, I did think that might be the case.

atb Carl
    You’re good Carl. I appreciate you pointing it out.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    That's a very nice Mk1 you have found there. that now makes it 11 more extra se/nos to what is in the Webley air rifles book.

Micky.

I'm reading the number as 1178 in which case it is already listed as a .22 calibre in the 118 number list, which has not been updated since 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    I'm reading the number as 1178 in which case it is already listed as a .22 calibre in the 118 number list, which has not been updated since 2015.
    Hi Troubledshooter, l went on Christopher Thrales book which is the only info l have on the Mk1.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Hi Troubledshooter, l went on Christopher Thrales book which is the only info l have on the Mk1.
    The Mk.1 Serial numbers in Chris's book came mainly from John Atkins, with others added to the list by myself from numbers gleaned from this forum.
    I was occasionally adding a few more to the list after the book was published which is why there are more numbers than in the book, but nothing added since late 2015. Any of the extra numbers were passed on to John Atkins, but I don't know how up to date his list is, as he has been far too busy to do a regular update.
    No names were attributed to any of the numbers as that was the proviso under which some of the numbers were supplied, and I didn't keep any names in my list either.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    The Mk.1 Serial numbers in Chris's book came mainly from John Atkins, with others added to the list by myself from numbers gleaned from this forum.
    I was occasionally adding a few more to the list after the book was published which is why there are more numbers than in the book, but nothing added since late 2015. Any of the extra numbers were passed on to John Atkins, but I don't know how up to date his list is, as he has been far too busy to do a regular update.
    No names were attributed to any of the numbers as that was the proviso under which some of the numbers were supplied, and I didn't keep any names in my list either.
    Hi Troubledshooter, l to have been passing on se/nos to John of various airguns over the years of which l know he likes to collect/formulate. so we have possibly given him some of the same numbers.

Thumbs up

That's a beauty Jim

Here's mine (With a mk2 and 3)

The acid etching is still there but quite faded now!

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

That's a very nice Mk1 not many about with the etching on.

Oh ! Jimmie

Oh! Jimmie, what have you done! you have destroyed an 'iconic' piece of English airgun history! where is the 'patina'? where are the dent's & scrapes on the wood? where is the HISTORY? You have made this gun worthless to any self respecting collector.
    Therefor I suggest you throw it in your nearest skip, BUT! before you do I would be prepared to offer you free postage to myself whereupon I could hacksaw off most of the barrel & the stock & convert it back to the pistol it was meant to be.
    PS. What is it like to shoot?