Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leather Washer Between spring and back block/spring guide on Bsa Imp Model D

Leather Washer Between spring and back block/spring guide on Bsa Imp Model D

Leather Washer Between spring and back block/spring guide on Bsa Imp Model D ?
    I have opened up quite a few, wild (none collector owned ), Bsa Improved models D's over the years. Several have had a leather washer between the spring and back block. Has anyone else found this ?. Cheers
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    I have had quite a few BSAs apart over the years and l can't remember there being a leather washer between the spring and back block on any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    I have had quite a few BSAs apart over the years and l can't remember there being a leather washer between the spring and back block on any of them.
    Only stripped about 25 and none here either....

I suspect they were retro fitted as 'Power Boosters'. I know that John Knibbs used to advertise such an item but no idea what it was made of.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I suspect they were retro fitted as 'Power Boosters'. I know that John Knibbs used to advertise such an item but no idea what it was made of.

John
    Probably Gold

Have you encountered the ring of hemp twine at the end of the cutaway in the threaded part of the the block. To take up play in the cylinder, at the end of the block. Sometimes you will encounter examples with a factory screw through the cylinder. I suspect the twine might have been a factory fix when the tolerances went the wrong way. They can't really wear there....they must have been loose when they left the factory.
    Last edited by silva; 27-12-2020 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    Have you encountered the ring of hemp twine at the end of the cutaway in the threaded part of the the block. To take up play in the cylinder, at the end of the block. Sometimes you will encounter examples with a factory screw through the cylinder. I suspect the twine might have been a factory fix when the tolerances went the wrong way. They can't really wear there....they must have been loose when they left the factory.
    Hemp? Twine? No never seen either. For a moment I thought I was opening a post in the wrong section

John

Ha yes....hemp seems to be the in word nowaday. I will amend it to some sort of filler washer made from natural fibres.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    They can over rotate a tad, have seen this on well used guns, ie. when you screw the trigger block into the cylinder, the two holes for the trigger guard screws will be slightly out, and you have to back out the cylinder just a degree or two. Obviously it is no longer butted up against the block so can feel a tiny bit loose, even with the trigger guard screws done up.

I can see how the twine would help. bit like plumber's packing, have never seen it myself, but would have thought BSA inspection would not have allowed something like this, and perhaps was a dealer tweak. Like so much else I suppose we will never know.

Regarding the leather washer, I can see how someone perhaps might also think it would make a gun smoother by allowing the mainspring to rotate in the days before Delrin....For all we know may have been a "craze" amoungst a group of people.

Airgunners have tinkered since there have been airguns, witness the additional sight mods to Milpats in The Complete Airgunner book from 1907! and I have seen all sorts including drilled pistons etc. to reduce weight obviously done yonks ago.

ATB, ED
    Last edited by edbear2; 28-12-2020 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    They can over rotate a tad, have seen this on well used guns, ie. when you screw the trigger block into the cylinder, the two holes for the trigger guard screws will be slightly out, and you have to back out the cylinder just a degree or two. Obviously it is no longer butted up against the block so can feel a tiny bit loose, even with the trigger guard screws done up.

I can see how the twine would help. bit like plumber's packing, have never seen it myself, but would have thought BSA inspection would not have allowed something like this, and perhaps was a dealer tweak. Like so much else I suppose we will never know.

Regarding the leather washer, I can see how someone perhaps might also think it would make a gun smoother by allowing the mainspring to rotate in the days before Delrin....For all we know may have been a "craze" amoungst a group of people.

Airgunners have tinkered since there have been airguns, witness the additional sight mods to Milpats in The Complete Airgunner book from 1907! and I have seen all sorts including drilled pistons etc. to reduce weight obviously done yonks ago.

ATB, ED
    I have had this on one of mine with the twine/hemp, like you say Ed it is what plumbers used to take up the slack. l just replaced it with the tape that plumbers use now, it worked a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    I have had this on one of mine with the twine/hemp, like you say Ed it is what plumbers used to take up the slack. l just replaced it with the tape that plumbers use now, it worked a treat.
    That's what I would do Mick; if I had to. I generally clean the screw threads and apply loctite to the trigger guard screws and that is usually enough to prevent any movement.

Kind regards,

John

Well with all the problems with Covid19 this year, it seems like some of us have still had a good collecting year. me included with a BSA .25 model D.

Yes its interesting opening up these old beauties. Just done one now I had been saving up as a Christmas treat - action has been soaking in diesel for a day or so. Piston washer had detached and turned into a coal like, compacted black layer wedged in end of cylinder. Rest of gun was packed full of grease. Diesel got the washer out - fortunately it had a spangly smooth compression chamber with no scoring
    Been scrubbing barrel out with a bronze brush and Hoppes no 9. So much sludge is coming out I might try hot water and some Youngs 303 - a fouling powder remover....just for the smell as much as anything

The end of the cylinder not flexing is critical to these old rifles - especially the 45" ones. Quite often they have fractures - Its hard to see how wear can occur on the cylinder threads - possibly by rough handling and forcing in powerful springs. Or shooting with loose trigger screws. Probably the only weakness on these rifles. You hardly ever see component failure.

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post

ATB, ED
    I also wonder, Ed, if the thinking behind the leather washer may have also had something to do with dampening resonance, as a polished steel washer would have provided that extra bearing surface?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I also wonder, Ed, if the thinking behind the leather washer may have also had something to do with dampening resonance, as a polished steel washer would have provided that extra bearing surface?
    Yep, that's a good point, why did the bugga's not write in down on a forum like we do!

ATB, Ed