Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leather Washer Between spring and back block/spring guide on Bsa Imp Model D

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    Yes its interesting opening up these old beauties. Just done one now I had been saving up as a Christmas treat - action has been soaking in diesel for a day or so. Piston washer had detached and turned into a coal like, compacted black layer wedged in end of cylinder.
    The best fitting BSA replacement piston washers have been made by my club mate Paul O'Donnell. They fit perfectly and luckily I stocked up on a few before lockdown, so have replacements to hand that I know will fit if they are required.

John

I was once given one that had been bought at Swindleby (aka Swinderby) antiques fair. When I opened it up there was no piston washer assembly at all. Happy days.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I also wonder, Ed, if the thinking behind the leather washer may have also had something to do with dampening resonance, as a polished steel washer would have provided that extra bearing surface?
    that would make sense,my standard although shoots quietly with no twang has a slight ring but obvious ring on firing,only audible because my ear is right next to it.you could imagine that a thin leather washer would do the trick and double up as something to tighten down to taking up the slack that's been talked about.with these rifles being 100 yrs old maybe they got discarded when they were serviced,who knows?but it's worth a punt.

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post

Airgunners have tinkered since there have been airguns, witness the additional sight mods to Milpats in The Complete Airgunner book from 1907! and I have seen all sorts including drilled pistons etc. to reduce weight obviously done yonks ago.

ATB, ED
    Yep, that's a good point, why did the bugga's not write in down on a forum like we do!

ATB, Ed
    And just imagine if they had had access to the "mighty Ox" mainspring!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    And just imagine if they had had access to the "mighty Ox" mainspring!
    They did back in 1914-18, as I have seen one with a 4 inch nut welded to it in the Imperial War Museum!.....Think they used them as trench clubs, so just goes to show, they have always been bleedin' dangerous

ATB, ED

They did back in 1914-18, as I have seen one with a 4 inch nut welded to it in the Imperial War Museum!.....Think they used them as trench clubs, so just goes to show, they have always been bleedin' dangerous

ATB, ED
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I have a photo of a Imp model D with a hefty metal mounting plate attached to the headstock - must have been a military application.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

edbear2 Guest
    I have a photo of a Imp model D with a hefty metal mounting plate attached to the headstock - must have been a military application.
    Was it a gun layer perchance?

ATB, Ed

Was it a gun layer perchance?

ATB, Ed
    Its not a gunlayer, its a normal configuration Lincoln Jeffries rifle - with a plate on the headstock and a slight cutaway in the block and something happening on top of the cylinder. I don't think its a heavy handed stock repair.....there's more to it than that. LDV or Home Guard trainer for a Northover Projector perhaps Shame they didn't photograph the other side. I don't think its a fairground gun securing point. Wonder if someone off the BBS bought it.

https://cuttlestones.co.uk/salecatal...=0&c=700&f=765
    Last edited by silva; 31-12-2020 at 10:00 AM.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Its not a gunlayer, its a normal configuration Lincoln Jeffries rifle - with a plate on the headstock and a slight cutaway in the block and something happening on top of the cylinder. I don't think its a heavy handed stock repair.....there's more to it than that. LDV or Home Guard trainer for a Northover Projector perhaps Shame they didn't photograph the other side. I don't think its a fairground gun securing point. Wonder if someone off the BBS bought it.

https://cuttlestones.co.uk/salecatal...=0&c=700&f=765
    It didn't sell. but who ever did for what reason, they spoiled a good gun.

I opened up a newly arrived Ordinary length .177 Imp D, to discover the last 25% of the mainspring missing and a short length of rubber garden hosepipe threaded over the spring guide, to replace the missing length of mainspring. That did put a smile on my face.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    I opened up a newly arrived Ordinary length .177 Imp D, to discover the last 25% of the mainspring missing and a short length of rubber garden hosepipe threaded over the spring guide, to replace the missing length of mainspring. That did put a smile on my face.
    It put a smile on my face as well just reading it.