Thread: Mk.1 Meteor garage find

Mk.1 Meteor garage find

Good afternoon gentlemen,

A friend was clearing out his late father-in-law's garage last week, and came across a Mk.1 Meteor. I do not know much about these, other than that Google tells me they were made 1959-62 and that complete and intact sights are a rarity. It looks a bit rough - maybe someone has painted it with varnish at some point.

Any thoughts as to value, or who he could take it to if he wanted to get it up and running again? He lives in Cheshire.

Photos here (ignore the FWB150).

Matt

Barrow Bury St Edmunds duck hunting central

Meteor

I would say in current state £60 or so if stock isn’t cracked. Metalwork likely to improve with ooo wire wool gentle rubbing with oil. As you say the rear sight is a scarce item and would likely make £35 on its own on the Bay. Any gun person will be able to give it a service etc. I don’t know any in your locality sorry. Paul
    When your world is full of strange arrangements

And gravity won't pull you through

The rear sight often shears from its fixing,the spot weld breaking.
    Piston seals can usually be salvaged,leaving just a mainspring,breech seal and buffer to replace.
    Be wary of the trigger.
    Last edited by piggy589; 28-12-2020 at 11:05 AM.

Thanks chaps. He has decided to keep it and clean it up. I'll update with his progress.

Matt

Bsa mark 1 meteor

Lovely old gun the very first I owned. Quite easy to work on Plenty of videos on YouTube to show you how to strip down and service parts from J KNibbs or Chambers .A real pleasure to shoot once done I still have 5 in my cabinet. Good luck definitely worth keeping