Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tell 3 pistol enigma

https://images.auctionet.com/uploads...c91c4643db.jpg

https://www.vintageairgunsgallery.co...0d5e1fdd4a.jpg

My gut feeling tells me "not original".
    Compare the mark with the (two lines) auctionet and vintage airgun. I see a "c and 7" on the 6 1/3 barrel for cal. 177. In connection with the piston joint, look at screw. This are in the right position.
    I leave everything else to your imagination.
    Last edited by Suhl; 08-02-2021 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suhl View Post
    https://images.auctionet.com/uploads...c91c4643db.jpg

https://www.vintageairgunsgallery.co...0d5e1fdd4a.jpg

My gut feeling tells me "not original".
    Compare the mark with the (two lines) auctionet and vintage airgun. I see a "c and 7" on the 6 1/3 barrel for cal. 177. In connection with the piston joint, look at screw. This are in the right position.
    I leave everything else to your imagination.
    Not sure what you mean. Could you explain please?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Danny, if you go back to John's post #38 above, the enlarged view of the markings definitely looks like just under the '6 1/3' there are faint remnants of a 'C' and further on a '7'. I noticed this before but thought I might be hallucinating; now upon reflection I think not. In addition, that close-up changes my opinion on originality of the '6 1/3' mark, just a bit irregular in spacing and uniformity to be a factory job.

Don R.

Sorry if some things are not understandable. I use a translator app.

I wanted to draw attention to the position of the markings. Also the type of writing ... to me it all looks attached afterwards. Maybe the barrel bores were ruined, nothing surprises me when it comes to profit.

Suhl
    Last edited by Suhl; 08-02-2021 at 08:43 PM.

Ah, I see what you mean. Thanks both.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I wanted to draw attention to the position of the markings. Also the type of writing ... to me it all looks attached afterwards. Maybe the barrel bores were ruined, nothing surprises me when it comes to profit.

Suhl
    You have good eyes

I think you are right.
    Morally flawed

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky

Suhl
    I have just had a good look at the stamping on both guns. and the number 6 is different on both of them. and the one with 6mm just dosen't look like a right stamping to me. and as you say what people will do for money

I see these each went for £800, so north of £1000 after commission and tax

Kind of a weird price. Obviously the bidders were suspicious, because that’s some way under par I would say. But it’s still chunky money and not a “what the hell it’s still largely a tell3 I’ll see what some monkey has done to it it’ll be something to talk about in the pub” sort of bid (I confess I put in a very low bid for one on that basis myself)

I wonder if we’ll see them back up for sale soon. Maybe they’ll be .303s by then
    Last edited by Jerry Cornelius; 15-04-2021 at 09:57 PM.
    Morally flawed

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    I see these each went for £800, so north of £1000 after commission and tax

Kind of a weird price. Obviously the bidders were suspicious, because that’s some way under par I would say. But it’s still chunky money and not a “what the hell it’s still largely a tell3 I’ll see what some monkey has done to it it’ll be something to talk about in the pub” sort of bid (I confess I put in a very low bid for one on that basis myself)

I wonder if we’ll see them back up for sale soon. Maybe they’ll be .303s by then
    Blimey!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Tell pistols

I recall they both had a guide price of £1000 to £1500. Our local auction house uses the reserve as the lower of these numbers.
    If Stroud have same approach then the single bids of £800 may both have been below the reserve and they did not sell?

Quote Originally Posted by Mobiasstrip View Post
    I recall they both had a guide price of £1000 to £1500. Our local auction house uses the reserve as the lower of these numbers.
    If Stroud have same approach then the single bids of £800 may both have been below the reserve and they did not sell?
    I just checked the results on the Stroud Auction website and both pistols are listed as sold, but without the hammer price displayed.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    I just checked the results on the Stroud Auction website and both pistols are listed as sold, but without the hammer price displayed.

Brian
    There was only one bidder for both and both sold at £800 in the room.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmieDee View Post
    There was only one bidder for both and both sold at £800 in the room.
    I see these dodgy Tells have reappeared at Holts, with estimates below the Stroud hammer price. Draw your own conclusions…
    Morally flawed

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    I see these dodgy Tells have reappeared at Holts, with estimates below the Stroud hammer price. Draw your own conclusions…
    It is what auctioneers do, they put the hammer down as sold to the room when in fact they are unsold. it is what they call in house buying. as it looks better from there point of view than unsold. they were way over with their price guides.

£600 each for the frankenTells.

I wonder if this is the last we will see of them.
    Morally flawed