Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 99 Owners, Can You See Your Cat's Bum ?

99 Owners, Can You See Your Cat's Bum ?

After all this talk on here of smaller HWs I thought I'd build up another HW50 for ratting duties, so from the spares pile I decided to graft a HW99 barrel onto an old school HW50 action.

After much filing and a bit of angle grinding to the latch plunger, I ended up with this. :-

image.jpg

Which is nice and straight and gives a really solid lockup but the breech seal will need shimming a little --- no big deal.

My only niggle so far is that when the barrel is closed I can still see the cat's arse breech nut :-

image.jpg

So my question is does this look the same as on a HW99 ?

All the best Mick

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    nope, my 99's crack wasn't visible...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    nope, my 99's crack wasn't visible...
    That's what I thought, Jon,
    I know the 99s cylinder is a bigger OD than the older HW50s but it looks like Weihrauch must have lowered the breech bolt hole on the 99.

The good news is that I have an 8.5mm gap between the cocking lever and the end of the piston slot so it looks like I can take the stroke up to 78mm.

I've just got to decide whether to alter a HW50 piston to take a TX seal or machine up a whole new piston.

Until I work that out it'll give me time to learn to live with looking at this :-

image.png

All the best Mick

Can't help as mine does not have that setup. Mine is the old style .

2003 model HW99S.

No way measure either .
    [IMG] photo upload site[/IMG]

No crack visible on mine neither Mick
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Yep, I can see the crack in my cat's arse...

2020 model

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Can't help as mine does not have that setup. Mine is the old style .

2003 model HW99S.
    Cheers Paul,
    That gives me a good comparison and it looks like the older barrel would have been a better choice, but saying that, the whole idea of building this 50 was to use up the parts I already have and the 99 barrel was an easier fit than a 85/95/80 one.

image.jpeg

image.jpg

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Yep, I can see the crack in my cat's arse...

2020 model
    Cheers for that, Harvey.

So assuming that the HW50 cylinder is 1mm bigger in OD that would account for the difference seen between yours and mine ?

image.jpg

image.jpg

All the best Mick

How does the barrel bore line up with the transfer port??

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Cheers Paul,
    That gives me a good comparison and it looks like the older barrel would have been a better choice, but saying that, the whole idea of building this 50 was to use up the parts I already have and the 99 barrel was an easier fit than a 85/95/80 one.

image.jpeg

image.jpg

All the best Mick
    My HW99 is in bits . I gave up with it .

Stock is unchequered from the factory. It's bare wood at present .

I got a konceptus kit off my mate and fitted it but have gone no further. Barrel is off . I put it on for that pic.

Now I'm not at work I have no way to deal with the spring if it needs cutting and so on .

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Cheers for that, Harvey.

So assuming that the HW50 cylinder is 1mm bigger in OD that would account for the difference seen between yours and mine ?

image.jpg

image.jpg

All the best Mick
    I was under the impression that the HW50 (both m & s versions) had the same cylinder size (26mm seal dia)
    Yours and mine look the same if you look at where the counterbore on the breech intersects the diameter of the cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I was under the impression that the HW50 (both m & s versions) had the same cylinder size (26mm seal dia)
    Yours and mine look the same if you look at where the counterbore on the breech intersects the diameter of the cylinder.
    My HW50 cylinder is an Oldschool one with screw in back block and a 25mm bore, Harvey.
    The later 50 and 99 changed to 26mm in line with the 77/95/98/97.

All the best Mick

The early 50 has 25 mm internals.

The 99/ 50 barrel needs roughly 2.4 mm taking off to fit the early cylinder. The 99 block is slightly different in dimensions though the axis hole lines up.

The length of the cocking slots on the 99 are different to the 50 but shouldn’t be too much of an issue since they share the same arm.

Quote Originally Posted by landymick View Post
    The early 50 has 25 mm internals.

The 99/ 50 barrel needs roughly 2.4 mm taking off to fit the early cylinder. The 99 block is slightly different in dimensions though the axis hole lines up.

The length of the cocking slots on the 99 are different to the 50 but shouldn’t be too much of an issue since they share the same arm.
    2.4mm Sounds about right, Mick.

I didn't actually measure how much I took off the angled section as I bolted the 50 and 99 breech blocks together with a 7mm nut and bolt and scribed the 99 block, I then filed it down to the scribe line.

The ledge for the barrel stop was the most time consuming job as I knew it needed about 1.4mm off it but from past experience with an 85 I decided to keep test fitting and checking the barrel alignment to cylinder with a straight edge rather than rely on my scribe marks.

The cocking arm hole on the HW99 is about 3mm further from the barrel axis hole than that of the HW50 which is probably why I've ended up with an 8.5mm gap between cocking arm and rear of the piston slot, but it leaves me something to play with.

All the best Mick

Nice one ,with regard to the bum shot some star 99/50 show & some don’t . I think purely down to lock up on each barrel cylinder fit .

Long stroke would be interesting.