Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BSA Ultra clx

Quote Originally Posted by pg339 View Post
    I am reading elsewhere that BSA have now confirmed in writing that the CLX is now "in full production"
    That at least is good news for those waiting. Let's see what happens over the next week or two.
    You possibly may have assumed that this was good news
    Ive been a massive fan of BSA guns ever since owning a BSA Super meteor when I was a kid, progressing through to a Super Sport with a few other BSA’s along the way ( all old springers)
    Got back into shooting about 8/9 years ago and went back to BSA buying an Ultra SE which I cannot praise highly enough, so much so I bought another to have one for day shooting and one for night shooting,I’ve also picked up an old BSA Scorpion to add to the collection, which I do believe puts me in the BSA fan club.
    Bought a CLX just before Christmas 2021, I’ve always struggled with engaging the magazine in mine, assumed that it was a user problem rather than a build issue. When I could get the mag to fit I noticed a lot of dry fires, again I put this down to user error as, if I pulled harder on the bolt it appeared to cycle properly and load.
    About 10 weeks ago I was out doing a bit of pest control on the local cricket club when the CLX decided that it no longer wanted to cock although the mag was cycling ( which meant it could be loaded multiple times even though its not supposed to).
    Took it back to the Gun Smiths, explaining all the issues I was having with it, who sent it back to BSA for a repair under warranty. All good so far!
    9 weeks later, after the CLX was supposedly lost in transit betweeen BSA and the Gun Smiths ( but thats another story) I was finally reunited with my CLX yesterday morning.
    Went out last night, zeroed the sights, first target acquired,I go to cock the gun (I normally cock the gun just before taking a shot, much safer than relying on a safety catch) and we’re back to a gun that will not cock.
    Maybe,just maybe, BSA should have stuck to the mantra ‘Ifs its not broken, dont fix it’and left the Ultra alone.
    Back to the Gun Smiths tomorrow to resign from the BSA fan club and hopefully get something that works!

Quote Originally Posted by Martmadd View Post
    Maybe,just maybe, BSA should have stuck to the mantra ‘Ifs its not broken, dont fix it’and left the Ultra alone.
    Back to the Gun Smiths tomorrow to resign from the BSA fan club and hopefully get something that works!
    Trimmed your quote a bit, hope you don't mind.

The SE can be troublesome though,

My .22 SE. At two months old it decided to drop pellets into the action without me realising and the consequence was when it finally chambered a pellet the pellet got stuck in the barrel through lack of air. Off to BSA and and it came back fine and dandy until the pressure gauge stopped registering, it was full of oil by all accounts. New gauge fitted and it's been all good since,

My .25 SE. At 1 week old and after two full mags it started losing air, topped it up then it lost all its air within minutes. Back to BSA and all the seals were changed, took a month. Filled it up with air and took a few shots but it felt short on power, turns out the loading probe O ring was too small and letting shed loads of air back out and into the magazine well. My RFD fitted the correct O ring and so far so good.

Took a punt on the CLX 160 and so far so good, fingers and everything else remain firmly crossed.

My BSA Ultra works ok.

I have a second hand Ultra MMC, no idea how old it is. It works fine every time. It is a single shot so no magazine to worry about.
    I shoot it at 25 yards at paper targets. It is very accurate, have shot some very small one hole targets.
    Just wondering is there any airgun made whereby nobody has ever complained about it, never called it rubbish, and advised everyone not to buy it.
    I would really like to buy that gun if someone can tell me what it is.
    John Cooper