Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Explosives Certificate - Reclassification of blackpowder substitutes

the home office removed 4 calibres ( i believe ) from the sec 58 creteria and anyone owning these had to hand them in or place on the certicate to keep.
    i think you could also apply for a firearms cert if you didnt have one
    the closing date was september 24 th or there abouts
    i agree its not been well advertised thats why i enquired around march this year and asked for the procedure on what to do.
    mine are now listed on my certificate but i cannot ever shoot them and i think they are reclassed as sec 7.3

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    the home office removed 4 calibres ( i believe ) from the sec 58 creteria and anyone owning these had to hand them in or place on the certicate to keep.
    i think you could also apply for a firearms cert if you didnt have one
    the closing date was september 24 th or there abouts
    i agree its not been well advertised thats why i enquired around march this year and asked for the procedure on what to do.
    mine are now listed on my certificate but i cannot ever shoot them and i think they are reclassed as sec 7.3
    Thanks For that. I see it is in reference to the calibres that have been re-classified. I had the impression that the rules on Section 58 had changed which is why I queried it.
    The pistols my friend had to apply for a variation for are not any of the restricted calibres so he should have been able to add them to his FAC and notify them.

Atb

Finally got my certificate back with UN0499 added as requested....

Only problem was that they had removed Black Powder!

Don't weaken....

email (if you can)them to rectify It but try to add UN no 0084 as well but believe you me you will get a phone call pretty sharpish and while you are talking to a real person sort the paperwork problems out and tell them you do not need 0084 (PE8 plastic exposive).

Quote Originally Posted by davederrick View Post
    I've been reliably informed that BP substitutes now have to go on your explosives certificate. Triple 7 and Pirodex are now being classed as UN0499 rather than UN0161. I know someone has been refused to be sold any until he had his ticket updated.
    Good afternoon All.

Has anybody heard anything more about this? I'm curious simply because this is at odds with a recent comment received from my local licensing department.... as far as I'm aware one may still purchase 777 over the counter in this part of the world with no Explosive Certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
    Good afternoon All.

Has anybody heard anything more about this? I'm curious simply because this is at odds with a recent comment received from my local licensing department.... as far as I'm aware one may still purchase 777 over the counter in this part of the world with no Explosive Certificate.
    not where i live......ive got the new legislation on my ticket now as i wouldnt have been able to purchase 777.
    i think its a farce but hey ho

You certainly need to have an appropriately annotated Explosive Certificate to acquire 777 in Sussex although still not needed for Pyrodex.
    Interestingly, many local dealers are not bothering to stock 777 as the expected demand is even lower than it was before the amended legislation. So, even with an Explosive Certificate, 777 may be increasingly difficult to source in the future.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    You certainly need to have an appropriately annotated Explosive Certificate to acquire 777 in Sussex although still not needed for Pyrodex.
    Interestingly, many local dealers are not bothering to stock 777 as the expected demand is even lower than it was before the amended legislation. So, even with an Explosive Certificate, 777 may be increasingly difficult to source in the future.

Brian
    Good point, one of the main reasons 777 was so popular was you could buy it without having the certificate.

I saw that this thread is a couple of years old, but I'll still share my thoughts. It's always important to stay up-to-date on any changes in regulations and requirements when it comes to explosives and firearms. Thanks for sharing this info about blackpowder substitutes and the new classification.It's good to know that some sellers are taking the necessary precautions. Speaking of substitutes, have you ever used titegroup powder before? It's a popular choice among reloaders and can work well for certain types of rounds. Thanks for sharing this info, and happy shooting!
    Last edited by LiamPullman; 03-05-2023 at 12:20 PM.