Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Explosives Certificate - Reclassification of blackpowder substitutes

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world

Explosives Certificate - Reclassification of blackpowder substitutes

I've been reliably informed that BP substitutes now have to go on your explosives certificate. Triple 7 and Pirodex are now being classed as UN0499 rather than UN0161. I know someone has been refused to be sold any until he had his ticket updated.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

One of our less pleasant feo’s told me a while back that they are talking about ALL shooters powder having to go on ticket and needing proper storage boxes.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Modern Nitro is safe (for now).
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    I don't recall ever reading about an explosion caused by reloading supplies. Gas explosions, on the other hand, have been in the news recently.

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    One of our less pleasant feo’s told me a while back that they are talking about ALL shooters powder having to go on ticket and needing proper storage boxes.
    I don't know how they will put them (smokeless) on the explosive license. I think they would have to create a new category and a new license.
    There has been talk of smokeless being stored like blackpowder but it is pointless, it is not an explosive and only burns fiercely when unconfined.
    The original reason for the storage of blackpowder was not for security reasons, it was to give the occupants time to vacate the premises to avoid being caught in the blast if there was a fire. Once the fire reaches the BP and one canister explodes it will destroy the storage box and cause a chain reaction. By which time there should be no one left in the building.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    I don't know how they will put them (smokeless) on the explosive license. I think they would have to create a new category and a new license.
    There has been talk of smokeless being stored like blackpowder but it is pointless, it is not an explosive and only burns fiercely when unconfined.
    The original reason for the storage of blackpowder was not for security reasons, it was to give the occupants time to vacate the premises to avoid being caught in the blast if there was a fire. Once the fire reaches the BP and one canister explodes it will destroy the storage box and cause a chain reaction. By which time there should be no one left in the building.
    In the eighties bp had to be stored in a wooden lined metal box. I used an old ammo box lined with thin ply. Someone then twigged that’s a metal box full of gunpowder was not a good idea. The same feo who was mouthing off about nc powder also insists that my bp boxes have anti tamper screws to prevent anyone from nicking the powder. I pointed out that a, Ive never seen a fire use a screwdriver and b, it’s a wooden box-a hammer will open it! But, no anti tamper screws then no licence. It’s pointless trying to argue with someone like that.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

was told yesterday at colms funeral that batches of 777 that arrived in the uk had been stamped with the wrong stamp hence the confusion

anti tamper

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    In the eighties bp had to be stored in a wooden lined metal box. I used an old ammo box lined with thin ply. Someone then twigged that’s a metal box full of gunpowder was not a good idea. The same feo who was mouthing off about nc powder also insists that my bp boxes have anti tamper screws to prevent anyone from nicking the powder. I pointed out that a, Ive never seen a fire use a screwdriver and b, it’s a wooden box-a hammer will open it! But, no anti tamper screws then no licence. It’s pointless trying to argue with someone like that.
    Just cant see this. If someone wants to steal your powder just have it away with the box!!! If the box is chained to a bench as my FEO insisted on then a small pair of bolt cutters. I suspect someone has got it round his neck. The spec for the boxes which are sold says nothing about the screws.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    was told yesterday at colms funeral that batches of 777 that arrived in the uk had been stamped with the wrong stamp hence the confusion
    Hogden website says Pyrodex is UN0499 on the product safety page.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dunkley View Post
    Just cant see this. If someone wants to steal your powder just have it away with the box!!! If the box is chained to a bench as my FEO insisted on then a small pair of bolt cutters. I suspect someone has got it round his neck. The spec for the boxes which are sold says nothing about the screws.
    It depends on the FEO.
    Generally it is:-

Chain it up.
    Don't chain it up (so you can throw it out of the window if there is a fire).
    Put it in the loft
    Don't put it in the loft.
    Put it in a cupboard out of sight.
    Don't put it in a cupboard.

Anti-tamper screws is a new one for the list.

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    Henry Kranks website says you need an explosives licence (UN0499) to buy 777, but not for Pyrodex.

https://www.henrykrank.com/blog/orde...d-and-why.html

Been to Kranks this week

Rang them to see which license was needed , they said bp licence with 026/027

I explained it was triple 7 fffg muzzle loading powder that I had previously purchased from them when it was classified 0161

They said it had to be ordered as they now keep it off site, so it was ordered for the following day to be collected

Following day went to collect it with bp license, they refused to sell it as didn’t have 0499 on bp license

I explained that I had asked it I could get it on my bp license as it was a 40 mile round trip

They said 0499 has to be on my bp ticket , otherwise they can’t sell it !

I said that I understand that which is why I rang them first before hand 😡

They couldn’t understand why I would want triple 7 despite it being a muzzle loading powder for my muzzle loaders

They also said that they wouldn’t buy a second hand gun that had been used with triple 7 !

Rang North Yorkshire Police and they said I need to apply to have 0499 put on my bp license

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    It depends on the FEO.
    Generally it is:-

Chain it up.
    Don't chain it up (so you can throw it out of the window if there is a fire).
    Put it in the loft
    Don't put it in the loft.
    Put it in a cupboard out of sight.
    Don't put it in a cupboard.

Anti-tamper screws is a new one for the list.
    I make them and sell them on the bay. When a different feo came to do my renewal a year back I showed him the 15 bp boxes ready for sale and he couldn't understand why I had used anti tamper screws. I told him that his colleague insisted on them and his response was "oh him!"

All very helpful!

I've sold well over a hundred of them Europe wide with no problems from any of the forces.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

I have never loaded Black powder so at the moment no need for a ticket ==but what I cant understand is why put a explosive into a sealed container surly its far safer to be stored on a self in a cool place out of sight then if there was a fire "god forbid" it would burn up quickly rather than be contained --your just storing a bomb when its boxed

Quote Originally Posted by ZAKDINGEL View Post
    I have never loaded Black powder so at the moment no need for a ticket ==but what I cant understand is why put a explosive into a sealed container surly its far safer to be stored on a self in a cool place out of sight then if there was a fire "god forbid" it would burn up quickly rather than be contained --your just storing a bomb when its boxed

The longer it takes for the fire to get to it the more time you have to get away from it.