Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sfs tuned imp mk2

Sfs tuned imp mk2

Going to order sfs tuned imp mk2,watched si pittaway review 1 on youtube unbelivable accuracy for a springer,anyone here tried 1 ?.

Sfs

I'd just get a 99 and shoot it, see how you get on with it then if you want to improve it? get a drop in kit from one of the firms out there.You won't have to wait 4 months for it that and it will be cheaper. Si as been known to over egg the pudding when testing SFS rifles but good marketing!!. Mach 1.5
    Last edited by Mach 1.5; 04-06-2021 at 09:00 PM.

Yes I have had one, and it was good but as mentioned only as good as a standard gun with a drop in kit..

I made my own version as well with a chopped down and threaded barrel and a tinbum drop in kit and it shot a little better than the SFS if anything.

I echo what the others have said. Just get a standard one and take it from there.
    Also I’d like to add there are far better air gun tuners/retailers out there than SFS that have a vastly more “considerate” after sales service. In my humble opinion.

I have 4 sfs tuned guns (off friends of a friend etc). I original bought a Jacksnipe directly.

I echo the above. They are good, but not that good. Sorry to pour cold water on them.

They tune their guns to only 10ftlb using a mid weight such as HNFTT (their pellet of choice to calibrate to) to be on the 'safe' side of 12, despite confessing that HNFTT are not the most accurate pellets in their set up. I am sure all guns would naturally feel nicer merely by cranking down the power.

I ordered one to become a Jacksnipe and I wasn't that impressed with the results. The most noticeable being the trigger being set so sensitive that it will fire if you breathed on it. Some may claim it has been finely polished to the n'th degree, but I dare not even find 1st stage in fear of it firing. Did little for my confidence. This was evident on the 2 new tunes (one being a friend's order).

As to the other secondhand sfs guns, the trigger felt much better. I get the impression the previous owners have reset them to their own liking over a sfs setting.

As for Si, I take the vids with a big pinch of salt. I don't know the guy but sometimes he behave just too Kool. A normal person would be jumping around in ecstasy if they could shoot to a pin head on a windy day. Si may be sitting 50m away, but I get the feeling some target shooter is shooting from 10m just off camera. Maybe I am a bit cynical but when most of the credit goes to sfs and how well the guns are tuned, you can't help feel he is on commission.

Since then, I have opted for actual engineering expertise - with custom parts and fine fitting. Sfs does no new parts. They polish and 'special grease' existing OEM parts. You get nothing more than what you can achieve yourself so long a YT vid guides you along.

This is with 4 guns experience. They are nicer than factory but there is a limit how how shiny you can polish an egg.

Isn't tuning using original parts and anything else is customising ?

Thanks lads,i asked on facebook few had imp mk2 said were amazing,but i think im not going to bother.

It'll turn into an itch that needs scratching.

Quote Originally Posted by alexall View Post
    I have 4 sfs tuned guns (off friends of a friend etc). I original bought a Jacksnipe directly.

I echo the above. They are good, but not that good. Sorry to pour cold water on them.

They tune their guns to only 10ftlb using a mid weight such as HNFTT (their pellet of choice to calibrate to) to be on the 'safe' side of 12, despite confessing that HNFTT are not the most accurate pellets in their set up. I am sure all guns would naturally feel nicer merely by cranking down the power.

I ordered one to become a Jacksnipe and I wasn't that impressed with the results. The most noticeable being the trigger being set so sensitive that it will fire if you breathed on it. Some may claim it has been finely polished to the n'th degree, but I dare not even find 1st stage in fear of it firing. Did little for my confidence. This was evident on the 2 new tunes (one being a friend's order).

As to the other secondhand sfs guns, the trigger felt much better. I get the impression the previous owners have reset them to their own liking over a sfs setting.

As for Si, I take the vids with a big pinch of salt. I don't know the guy but sometimes he behave just too Kool. A normal person would be jumping around in ecstasy if they could shoot to a pin head on a windy day. Si may be sitting 50m away, but I get the feeling some target shooter is shooting from 10m just off camera. Maybe I am a bit cynical but when most of the credit goes to sfs and how well the guns are tuned, you can't help feel he is on commission.

Since then, I have opted for actual engineering expertise - with custom parts and fine fitting. Sfs does no new parts. They polish and 'special grease' existing OEM parts. You get nothing more than what you can achieve yourself so long a YT vid guides you along.

This is with 4 guns experience. They are nicer than factory but there is a limit how how shiny you can polish an egg.
    Nice to hear from someone with real world experience of SFS.

My biggest gripe with SI videos is his 3 shot 'groups' and the comment that any more shots would have gone in to the same size group so no need to fire them. That is simply not true statistically - you need a minimum of 5 shots and preferably 7 to get a true group size.
    I have shot an SFS tuned 97 and the trigger was very good but the shot cycle I thought not particularly special - OK but home tuned guns as good.

In my experience it depends on what level of tune has been carried out by SFS. For example I have owned a couple of SFS Banshee rifles-for those that don't know this was the top tune from SFS on a Weihrauch HW95 . The results were very impressive and I would say they were every bit as good as a Venom Lazaglide /(V Mach V glide). Maybe I was lucky. In any event, stage 1 tuning kits give the shooter the bulk of the benefits associated with a full Laza/V Glide at a considerable reduction in the overall cost. Spending more money puts you slap bang in the middle of the argument over diminishing returns.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Although I've not owned or shot an Imp, I have had several guns tuned in the past by Tony, all of them have come back far better than before and for £45 (that's what it cost at the time) it was far better and cheaper than any of the drop in kits back then, I've not had a rifle tuned for a number of years by them so can't comment of the state of their tuning nowadays, I would happily have another done if a special rifle turned up that warranted a tune up by them.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Ok lads thanks,ive no doubt tony at sfs is awsome gunsmith,hes a nice bloke aswell ive emailed him 5 or 6 times for advice,he always replies and very helpfull,the imp mk2 is £445 which is a tad bit more than id want to pay so just gunna leave it.

Buying a stock 99 and doing a few bits yourself will be the cheapest and most fulfilling option. It's very interesting learning what everything does and you can always ask for advice on here if you're unsure about anything.

The tunes in question get the approval of many, personally I've not shot one example that I'd consider nice yet. The drop-in guide kits you can buy for a fraction of the price actually seem to turn out much sweeter.

My experiences with SFS works were - are excellent,
    had a banshee, great bit of kit,
    have a phantom-even better,
    Tony was a star to deal with,
    triggers to both were excellent for me,
    i have a stock 99 currently on loan to the nephew, he loves it, would i have it tuned, ,not before a 280 or others i have,
    great little rifle etc,
    also for me physically the 95 is a better fit, so a better option to start with,
    no idea who Si is or seen any of his mentioned vids,
    if i reviewed mine they would be described as the best i could afford at the time, and huge return on monies invested,
    but it still seems like SFS is a little like marmite, lol, jmo,

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by robhw97k View Post
    Ok lads thanks,ive no doubt tony at sfs is awsome gunsmith,hes a nice bloke aswell ive emailed him 5 or 6 times for advice,he always replies and very helpfull,the imp mk2 is £445 which is a tad bit more than id want to pay so just gunna leave it.
    Ridiculous price really, when they shoot so well anyway...

New guides on a Titan no. 10 spring and a Vortek Vac seal is all you need with minor fettling of the cocking arm to remove any tight spots and you'll have a tack driver with JSB Exact Express.