Thread: Shooting unaided

Shooting unaided

I have attempted to shoot unaided with my rifles (99,30,smk19 and meteor mk2) with much embarrassment - lucky to hit 3'' target at 20yds. The easiest is with the old meteor, just seems balanced and grew up with it, hitting cans over decades. Is it just my old age or are some of you younger lads practising holding iron girders. I appreciate I am rather old (well into my 60s) but I am jealously envious of some of the accuracy you lads can achieve at tremendous distances, that I know I couldn't even when I was much younger or now bench rested - well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Damned 69 View Post
    I have attempted to shoot unaided with my rifles (99,30,smk19 and meteor mk2) with much embarrassment - lucky to hit 3'' target at 20yds. The easiest is with the old meteor, just seems balanced and grew up with it, hitting cans over decades. Is it just my old age or are some of you younger lads practising holding iron girders. I appreciate I am rather old (well into my 60s) but I am jealously envious of some of the accuracy you lads can achieve at tremendous distances, that I know I couldn't even when I was much younger or now bench rested - well done.
    Are you holding the rifle with too tight a grip? Any of those rifles should produce better results so I'd suggest you look at how you are holding the rifle, how your breathing control is, and whether you have a good trigger release and pull.
    hth
    Jim ( aged 76!)
    ps What do you mean by unaided....use of a carer?

I always shot free standing when out
    Personally I always thought bench resting was cheating unless sighting in a scope
    But yes stance , breathing and using the old army trick of wrapping the sling around your arm works

im fairly good with free standing shots

There are definite techniques to learn which are difficult to explain.
    Start with a solid base feet shoulder width apart, force your leading hip out as far as you can comfortably.
    Jam your lead elbow into hip for support.
    The most important thing to learn and remember is consistency. Consistency of grip, stance, breathing and trigger control.
    All of this is more important with springers.
    Age is but a number my friend, practice practice practice.
    You could even pick up a rifle whilst watching TV, hold it for count of ten, then raise it like a shotgun and hold for count of ten, then lower like a rat shot and hold again.
    Muscles will remember and learn.
    Good luck and enjoy.
    VAYA CON DIOS

As dagwood says you may be holding them too tight, for the last few years I've been trying to rest the stock as per the Artillery hold but could hit a match box* at 30 yards more often than I can now at 22 yards with my Meteor, when I knew nothing about the Artillery hold.

* nowadays an equivalent sized block of wood.
    Good point Gsxr man I think I shall start weight training with my Airsporter, When Mrs Dornfelderlieber isn't looking.
    Last edited by Dornfelderliebe; 24-01-2023 at 06:02 PM. Reason: added a bit