Thread: Evolution of the 12 FPE rule

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    As young kids we were forever trying to increase the power of spring airguns, forcing stronger oversized springs in them while risking terrific injuries in doing so. I think as technology developed and also PCP rifles became more popular, air rifles achieved much more power until the powers that be decided there had to be some reasonable restriction to the average normal airgun.

Baz
    There's only one problem with that, Baz, the 12ftlb limit was introduced in 1969, modern PCPs weren't introduced until the early 1980s.
    So the powers that be had introduced the 12ftlbs limit at least 11 years before the modern PCP came on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    There's only one problem with that, Baz, the 12ftlb limit was introduced in 1969, modern PCPs weren't introduced until the early 1980s.
    So the powers that be had introduced the 12ftlbs limit at least 11 years before the modern PCP came on the market.
    I was more pointing to the fact that in various airguns were getting more powerful in general leading to the authorities clamp down. There were some pretty powerful PCPs around when I was 16, 60 years ago. We had ones made by Fred Jackson of Luton, large calibre butt reservoir powered, no special licence required, except the 10 bob one. I loved going to see Fred, he was the first guy I knew who had to get a licence for the Crosman 600 which were arriving here.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 16-07-2021 at 11:48 AM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    I was more pointing to the fact that in various airguns were getting more powerful in general leading to the authorities clamp down. There were some pretty powerful PCPs around when I was 16, 60 years ago. We had ones made by Fred Jackson of Luton, large calibre butt reservoir powered, no special licence required, except the 10 bob one. I loved going to see Fred, he was the first guy I knew who had to get a licence for the Crosman 600 which were arriving here.

Baz
    Very interesting, Baz. Were these patterned on the 18th/19th century-type butt reservoirs? I thought they had completely fallen out of production by the 20th century for some reason.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Very interesting, Baz. Were these patterned on the 18th/19th century-type butt reservoirs? I thought they had completely fallen out of production by the 20th century for some reason.
    Yes Danny, Fred made a similar type to the Girandoni with all metal reservoir stock, but he made walking stick guns in metal that he covered in plastic wood with very realistic finish with knots and such. He used to work a local foundry and had access to some handy equipment. When I came back from Africa, i had not seen him for over 30 years and he was quite aged and still lived in his old house with loads of old tooling and bits around.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 17-07-2021 at 12:08 AM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD