Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 100 years of Air pistols video, Part 1

100 years of Air pistols video, Part 1

For your perusal....

Planning to do 4 short videos demonstrating 10 pistols in each, in chronological order.
    This is the first one, 1910-1946:

https://youtu.be/qt2zfenq4QI

The main aim is to demonstrate the mechanism, show that most are pretty accurate, and eventually show some design evolution through all 4 videos.

Hope the pistol fans will approve.

Cheers,
    Matt

Great video and very interesting to see some of the rarer and more quirky vintage and antique design of pistols being cocked and fired! Predictably the pop out pistol design became an object of ridicule!

Thanks for posting.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Excellent work Matt. Just the sort of advertising our hobby needs - it is bound to encourage newbies into the fascinating world of vintage airgun collecting.

Thanks,
    John

P.S. I particularly liked your take on the Briton. The "ridiculousness" of the pop-outs is part of their charm and makes them even more collectable, in my view. Did you know that Diana actually made a prototype pop-out incorporating the Giss recoilless system? It is exists in a private collection now.
    Last edited by ccdjg; 18-07-2021 at 09:18 AM.

Nice job that, not bad shooting either...

Great video! I’m just starting out with pre war pistols so this was particularly relevant. I’m currently rebuilding a very used / abused Diana model V, it’s never going to be a looker but hopefully I can get it shooting well again. I really like the look of the Haenal 28 - I’ll have to start looking for one of them next.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Did you know that Diana actually made a prototype pop-out incorporating the Giss recoilless system? It is exists in a private collection now.
    I’d love to see that, I’m a big fan of the Giss system. Are there ant pictures available?

Hi Matt,
    Another excellent introductory video to the world of vintage air pistols which entertains as well as educates. I have been collecting old spring powered air pistols for many years and hadn't realised that the cocking pin on the Tinplate Diana Mk1 remained extended after cocking until I saw the video. It's always nice to see the pistols cocked and fired to fully understand the design and functionality.
    Look forward to seeing the rest of the videos planned for the series.

Brian

Awesome! Does makes me wish I would have bit the bullet and paid the price for a Wesley Richards that auctioned off over here last year.

Thanks chaps,
    Good to hear it’s already been of use to someone starting to collect prewar pistols

ccdjg, I was determined to show that it was possible to shoot a pop out with something approaching accuracy, but it wasn’t to be. The next episode will feature a 1958 English Diana mod 2 (if it behaves itself)

I had heard tell of the Giss pop-out, probably from you. Does it ‘pop out’ front and rear? That’s the only way I can see it cancelling out the recoil?

I didn’t know it had surfaced, maybe it was when all the prototypes and cutaways were sold off in 2018 (that’s where my factory cutaway Mod 6 came from)

Would love to see it.

Cheers,
    Matt

Hi Matt,

Excellent video, made all the more interesting with your phenomenal level of accuracy.

I remember testing a Britannia pop out for AGW some years ago, taking a shot from 3 yards, aiming off and promptly missing! I like the way you handled the situation!

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Great video

I enjoyed that, look forward to part 2

What does “highest possible“ refer to on the Westley Richards, is it highest possible quality?
    Last edited by Lee5159; 18-07-2021 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee5159 View Post
    I enjoyed that, look forward to part 2

What does “highest possible“ refer to on the Westley Richards, is it highest possible quality?
    I believe it refers to a highest possible score in a target shooting competition.
    It would definitely be appropriate in reference to the quality though, they are extremely well made….there are some nicely machined chunks of steel on that pistol.

Cheers,
    Matt

Outstanding, Matt! I really enjoyed that. Thanks for bringing the guns to 'life', as it were. It seemed to be great shooting too - I looked for the multiple edits but couldn't see any joins.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Outstanding, Matt! I really enjoyed that. Thanks for bringing the guns to 'life', as it were. It seemed to be great shooting too - I looked for the multiple edits but couldn't see any joins.
    Thanks Danny,

Full disclosure…
    There was only one edit and that was before the tell 2, as I was aiming in the wrong place for a few shots…once I remembered where to aim then it was spot on, so I didn’t want to belittle it as I did with the Tinplate Briton (that really did deserve it though)

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    I believe it refers to a highest possible score in a target shooting competition.
    It would definitely be appropriate in reference to the quality though, they are extremely well made….there are some nicely machined chunks of steel on that pistol.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Yes I thought it may be referring to the build quality with them being so well made

Thanks for the info

Superb video Matt, i was lucky enough to shoot few of your pistols hitting that spinner takes some skill as i found out. The Wesley Richards i must say i enjoyed the most its the Royalty of air pistolas unbelivably well engineered accurate too. Eagerly awaiting the rest of the videos. Tx.