Thread: 100 years of Air pistols video, Part 1

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

100 years of Air pistols video, Part 1

For your perusal....

Planning to do 4 short videos demonstrating 10 pistols in each, in chronological order.
    This is the first one, 1910-1946:

https://youtu.be/qt2zfenq4QI

The main aim is to demonstrate the mechanism, show that most are pretty accurate, and eventually show some design evolution through all 4 videos.

Hope the pistol fans will approve.

Cheers,
    Matt

Great video and very interesting to see some of the rarer and more quirky vintage and antique design of pistols being cocked and fired! Predictably the pop out pistol design became an object of ridicule!

Thanks for posting.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Excellent work Matt. Just the sort of advertising our hobby needs - it is bound to encourage newbies into the fascinating world of vintage airgun collecting.

Thanks,
    John

P.S. I particularly liked your take on the Briton. The "ridiculousness" of the pop-outs is part of their charm and makes them even more collectable, in my view. Did you know that Diana actually made a prototype pop-out incorporating the Giss recoilless system? It is exists in a private collection now.
    Last edited by ccdjg; 18-07-2021 at 09:18 AM.

Nice job that, not bad shooting either...

Great video! I’m just starting out with pre war pistols so this was particularly relevant. I’m currently rebuilding a very used / abused Diana model V, it’s never going to be a looker but hopefully I can get it shooting well again. I really like the look of the Haenal 28 - I’ll have to start looking for one of them next.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Did you know that Diana actually made a prototype pop-out incorporating the Giss recoilless system? It is exists in a private collection now.
    I’d love to see that, I’m a big fan of the Giss system. Are there ant pictures available?

Hi Matt,
    Another excellent introductory video to the world of vintage air pistols which entertains as well as educates. I have been collecting old spring powered air pistols for many years and hadn't realised that the cocking pin on the Tinplate Diana Mk1 remained extended after cocking until I saw the video. It's always nice to see the pistols cocked and fired to fully understand the design and functionality.
    Look forward to seeing the rest of the videos planned for the series.

Brian

Awesome! Does makes me wish I would have bit the bullet and paid the price for a Wesley Richards that auctioned off over here last year.

Thanks chaps,
    Good to hear it’s already been of use to someone starting to collect prewar pistols

ccdjg, I was determined to show that it was possible to shoot a pop out with something approaching accuracy, but it wasn’t to be. The next episode will feature a 1958 English Diana mod 2 (if it behaves itself)

I had heard tell of the Giss pop-out, probably from you. Does it ‘pop out’ front and rear? That’s the only way I can see it cancelling out the recoil?

I didn’t know it had surfaced, maybe it was when all the prototypes and cutaways were sold off in 2018 (that’s where my factory cutaway Mod 6 came from)

Would love to see it.

Cheers,
    Matt

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by DrGunn View Post
    "Did you know that Diana actually made a prototype pop-out incorporating the Giss recoilless system? It is exists in a private collection now."

I’d love to see that, I’m a big fan of the Giss system. Are there ant pictures available?
    Umfortunately for some reason the owner is a bit reticent about putting his pictures on the internet, but I can say that it looks virtually identical to a post-war ridged wood grop Diana Model 2, maybe slightly wider diameter cylinder. I don't know the full mechanical details, but this is what I have been able to glean from the photographs I have seen .The cog(s) are in the area in the trigger housing above and forward of the trigger. The barrel shrowd has ridges that contact the cog and as it and the barrel leap forward the cog rotates. Unlike a normal popout the cylinder is a separate entity and moves freely in the housing, It too has ridges and is pushed rearwards on firing by the rotation of the cog(s). I am not sure how the cog(s) are arranged so as to get the synchronised opposite movement of cylinder and barrel. The pistol is cocked in the usual way and the pellet is also loaded via the usual breech pin.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Umfortunately for some reason the owner is a bit reticent about putting his pictures on the internet, but I can say that it looks virtually identical to a post-war ridged wood grop Diana Model 2, maybe slightly wider diameter cylinder. I don't know the full mechanical details, but this is what I have been able to glean from the photographs I have seen .The cog(s) are in the area in the trigger housing above and forward of the trigger. The barrel shrowd has ridges that contact the cog and as it and the barrel leap forward the cog rotates. Unlike a normal popout the cylinder is a separate entity and moves freely in the housing, It too has ridges and is pushed rearwards on firing by the rotation of the cog(s). I am not sure how the cog(s) are arranged so as to get the synchronised opposite movement of cylinder and barrel. The pistol is cocked in the usual way and the pellet is also loaded via the usual breech pin.
    Thanks for the description, it sounds like a fascinating contraption and using the compression cylinder as the counter weight is ingenious - I guess this means the already meagre swept volume is not reduced much further. It is any more accurate than a standard pop out? Did they go as far as to fit it with a rifled barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    For your perusal....

Planning to do 4 short videos demonstrating 10 pistols in each, in chronological order.
    This is the first one, 1910-1946:

https://youtu.be/qt2zfenq4QI

The main aim is to demonstrate the mechanism, show that most are pretty accurate, and eventually show some design evolution through all 4 videos.

Hope the pistol fans will approve.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Excellent. Thank you very much, and looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers Mike

Great video and some good shooting. .
    Looking forward to seeing the next instalment.
    Atb
    Les..