Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 100 years of Air pistols video, Part 1

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Great video and great shooting too... Particularly liked the bit of humour with the the Gat - although frankly the risk of a rebound off the balloon must of been high even at that range!

Looking forward to the next one..

Great Video, Looking forward to the next

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Great video which should encourage any new collectors, as well as old ones. l never thought of the Diana model 1 style wise as being art deco until you said. but l can see where you are coming from. some nice shooting as well. looking forward to see the next ones.

Nice one Matt. I do think you should have left out the post war MK1 and possibly included a Warrior to keep to pre 1939. Very enjoyable to watch though and like you, I struggle a little cocking the Haenal.

Keep them coming please.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Nice one Matt. I do think you should have left out the post war MK1 and possibly included a Warrior to keep to pre 1939. Very enjoyable to watch though and like you, I struggle a little cocking the Haenal.

Keep them coming please.
    Thanks,
    I know what you mean but I don’t have a Warrior anymore, and the next episode will start with a Senior….I didn’t want to have back two Webleys in a row.

Cheers,
    Matt

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by DrGunn View Post
    "Did you know that Diana actually made a prototype pop-out incorporating the Giss recoilless system? It is exists in a private collection now."

I’d love to see that, I’m a big fan of the Giss system. Are there ant pictures available?
    Umfortunately for some reason the owner is a bit reticent about putting his pictures on the internet, but I can say that it looks virtually identical to a post-war ridged wood grop Diana Model 2, maybe slightly wider diameter cylinder. I don't know the full mechanical details, but this is what I have been able to glean from the photographs I have seen .The cog(s) are in the area in the trigger housing above and forward of the trigger. The barrel shrowd has ridges that contact the cog and as it and the barrel leap forward the cog rotates. Unlike a normal popout the cylinder is a separate entity and moves freely in the housing, It too has ridges and is pushed rearwards on firing by the rotation of the cog(s). I am not sure how the cog(s) are arranged so as to get the synchronised opposite movement of cylinder and barrel. The pistol is cocked in the usual way and the pellet is also loaded via the usual breech pin.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Umfortunately for some reason the owner is a bit reticent about putting his pictures on the internet, but I can say that it looks virtually identical to a post-war ridged wood grop Diana Model 2, maybe slightly wider diameter cylinder. I don't know the full mechanical details, but this is what I have been able to glean from the photographs I have seen .The cog(s) are in the area in the trigger housing above and forward of the trigger. The barrel shrowd has ridges that contact the cog and as it and the barrel leap forward the cog rotates. Unlike a normal popout the cylinder is a separate entity and moves freely in the housing, It too has ridges and is pushed rearwards on firing by the rotation of the cog(s). I am not sure how the cog(s) are arranged so as to get the synchronised opposite movement of cylinder and barrel. The pistol is cocked in the usual way and the pellet is also loaded via the usual breech pin.
    Thanks for the description, it sounds like a fascinating contraption and using the compression cylinder as the counter weight is ingenious - I guess this means the already meagre swept volume is not reduced much further. It is any more accurate than a standard pop out? Did they go as far as to fit it with a rifled barrel?

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by DrGunn View Post
    Thanks for the description, it sounds like a fascinating contraption and using the compression cylinder as the counter weight is ingenious - I guess this means the already meagre swept volume is not reduced much further. It is any more accurate than a standard pop out? Did they go as far as to fit it with a rifled barrel?
    Those are intriguing questions I have asked myself. If I could get more details about the inner workings I wouldn't mind having a go at making one just to answer them.

Excellent video, great shooting too ! My Dad, Reg And me, Peter really enjoyed the video. It inspires me to keep collecting air pistols. Thanks for the production, we both look forward to part 2. Peter

Brilliant informative video and good shooting!

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Those are intriguing questions I have asked myself. If I could get more details about the inner workings I wouldn't mind having a go at making one just to answer them.
    Now that would be an interesting project.

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    For your perusal....

Planning to do 4 short videos demonstrating 10 pistols in each, in chronological order.
    This is the first one, 1910-1946:

https://youtu.be/qt2zfenq4QI

The main aim is to demonstrate the mechanism, show that most are pretty accurate, and eventually show some design evolution through all 4 videos.

Hope the pistol fans will approve.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Excellent. Thank you very much, and looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers Mike

Great video and some good shooting. .
    Looking forward to seeing the next instalment.
    Atb
    Les..

Ok I own a few of them and intend to own a few more, subscribed to your channel and will watch them in today’s work break!

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    Ok I own a few of them and intend to own a few more, subscribed to your channel and will watch them in today’s work break!
    Welcome back, Andy --- hope you're doing OK ?

All the best Mick