Thread: Parker Hale 7x57

Parker Hale 7x57

Parker Hale 7x57.. or Mauser 7mm.. or Rigby 275.. Purchased for my interest in this historical cartridge, designed from about 1894.
    Adopted by the Spanish army, used with great effect against the USA in the Cuba punch up..also used with great effect by the Boers in the Anglo Boer war. Lot of history in this cartridge. A large cartridge and a fast twist... the PH is very well made, excellent barrel, fairly cheap woodwork, Mauser type bolt. I obtained a good quantity of once fired brass and various bullets.
    Not a lot of reduced reloading info and intended to shoot at 100 yards with reduced loads.. experimented with various loads, plus plated bullets and cast bullets.. using various fast powder loads and plated bullets, achieved 1" groups at 100 yards. The rifle had been bedded by a well known dealer and fitted with a decent scope base. If this had been a Rigby, it would of course have cost a fortune! Parker Hale were noted, however for their barrels. Most Parker Hale rifles are bargain basement of course. I think the 7x57 cartridge is exceptional. Hope to get down to Bisley at some time and try out at 300 yards.

amc577

Quote Originally Posted by amc577 View Post
    Parker Hale 7x57.. or Mauser 7mm.. or Rigby 275.. Purchased for my interest in this historical cartridge, designed from about 1894.
    Adopted by the Spanish army, used with great effect against the USA in the Cuba punch up..also used with great effect by the Boers in the Anglo Boer war. Lot of history in this cartridge. A large cartridge and a fast twist... the PH is very well made, excellent barrel, fairly cheap woodwork, Mauser type bolt. I obtained a good quantity of once fired brass and various bullets.
    Not a lot of reduced reloading info and intended to shoot at 100 yards with reduced loads.. experimented with various loads, plus plated bullets and cast bullets.. using various fast powder loads and plated bullets, achieved 1" groups at 100 yards. The rifle had been bedded by a well known dealer and fitted with a decent scope base. If this had been a Rigby, it would of course have cost a fortune! Parker Hale were noted, however for their barrels. Most Parker Hale rifles are bargain basement of course. I think the 7x57 cartridge is exceptional. Hope to get down to Bisley at some time and try out at 300 yards.

amc577
    I have shot Parker Hale rifles for the last twenty five years, and I find the barrels excellent. Yes they are a bargain basement secondhand rifle now, but both mine are well capable of sub inch groups at 100 yards, if I do my bit. Both rifles have accounted for hundreds of deer over the years. Always recommend the brand to riflemen who are prepared to listen.

I have a PH SC 1200 in .243 and it is a very useful rifle for very little money.

I think that you have chosen an exceptional deer calibre rifle in the 7x57, the rifles I have shot in this calibre have been a real joy to shoot.

Lovely gentle recoil, good at knocking down big Reds, accurate and enough grunt to be a bit forgiving if you are an inch or two out.

A stalking rifle to be used at sensible ranges on the hill, not for sniping at stupid ranges as seen across the pond.

People flock to the new cartridges on the block, but when the 7x57 was designed they knew what they were doing.

Parker Hale 7x57

Currently using it at Sywell 100 yard range... using a number of Maxam fast powders for reduced loads.
    14gns of PSB2 ( similar to Unique) gives excellent groups.. 11 gns of CSB5 ( similar to Red Dot)
    also gives excellent groups.. hope to get back to Bisley at some time with some full loads of slow powders. It is a very versatile cartridge but not very much used.

amc577

I think the 7x57 is widely recognised as one of the best medium-calibre rifle cartridges ever designed. The balance of accuracy, downrange energy, flat trajectory, comfortable recoil and barrel life has rarely been bettered.
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)