Thread: Sales of 70's / 80's era Original Dianas

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sales of 70's / 80's era Original Dianas

Usually, the Diana enthusiast would have plenty of time to pick these off at his/ her leisure, but of late, interesting examples are not lingering on the main Internet sales sites.. Relatively speaking of course..
    I'd never have thought sales of this now niche marque would be getting some hurry-up fron the now rabid buyers
    market of everything....

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    Usually, the Diana enthusiast would have plenty of time to pick these off at his/ her leisure, but of late, interesting examples are not lingering on the main Internet sales sites.. Relatively speaking of course..
    I'd never have thought sales of this now niche marque would be getting some hurry-up fron the now rabid buyers
    market of everything....
    Really? Interesting. Any links or examples?

Evening, Geezer. Guntrader sales site,. Original Models 35 Super and 50, both with factory diopters &. Original 52 with scope, aĺl gone, & quickly..

If anyone wants Diana dealers boxes from the 50s / sixties complete with spares send me a pm.
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gen View Post
    If anyone wants Diana dealers boxes from the 50s / sixties complete with spares send me a pm.
    Thanks for that, Mr Gen. Dealers boxes for proper Diana's?

Original/Dianas

As the years roll on finding and securing clean presentable examples of the above guns become harder to my mind. As you suggest where once you could perhaps surf the usual gun sale sites and find a number of examples of your desired gun- these days they are few and far between. For example at the time that I was on the look out for a 35s I detected a downturn in numbers going through the sales areas so I bought the most clean example that I found since I reasoned that the way things were going I would struggle in the near future to find one and certainly have the pick of a few. Generally speaking I've been proved right.

I've also noticed what I would term the "price band" of a given Original/Diana model has increased. Whereas you could perhaps find a clean 45 at one stage for perhaps £120-£140 now you get the occasional one just under the £200 with most being above.

I think those who have picked up clean examples in the past by and large are not moving them on. This in turn drives up prices and when the occasional clean gun comes along they don't hang around for long.

I guess if nothing else it proves the second hand market is still healthy.
    Dave

Evening, Geezer. Guntrader sales site,. Original Models 35 Super and 50, both with factory diopters &. Original 52 with scope, aĺl gone, & quickly..
    Never seen any original 52’s until that one came up, looked like a nice gun at a fair price!

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    Never seen any original 52’s until that one came up, looked like a nice gun at a fair price!
    Contrary to my earlier post, there is an O52 on the Gunstar sales site which has been languishing there for many weeks.
    There's just something about "Original" era Dianas that push them well above everything else. More than just something..

Contrary to my earlier post, there is an O52 on the Gunstar sales site which has been languishing there for many weeks.
    There's just something about "Original" era Dianas that push them well above everything else. More than just something..
    Weird. I picked up my 52 on here for about £140-160 around seven years ago. No sense then that they were in any way sought after. And a couple of years earlier you could snaffle up the odd but engaging ultra-carbine model for £395 brand new.

I guess it’s that thing that only once they are gone do people miss them. I think there’s a Jonie Mitchell song vaguely about that.

I think that perhaps in this particular instance the certain something may relate to the fact that the Original 52 model came into being shortly before Original regained their Diana brand name. Though it may seem simply a name change- to a collector that makes the early model more desirable since there will be way more Diana branded model 52s around than Original model 52s.
    But I also suspect that Diana much like other makes were producing guns back in those days that had that little more of the human touch in their build. I admire the lustrous bluing on my Jubilee 45s and whilst the current Diana bluing is good it doesn't seem quite as good as of old.
    Maybe there is more pressure to produce the quantity of units these days and it was more about quality back in the 70s-80s?
    Or maybe I've got my rose tinted specs on this morning
    Dave