Thread: BP Pistol 1858 Remington

BP Pistol 1858 Remington

PEDERSOLI REMINGTON PATTERN CUSTOM 7 7/8 BARREL BLACK POWDER REVOLVER 44CAL at £1162.00
    or UBERTI 1858 Remington at £440.
    Is the £600 for the quality or name.
    Anschutz 1913. .22lr - Big Nikko. TX200.177 Mk3 Ultimate
    Taurus 357 LBR. Taurus .22 LBR BSA .22 RF Martini International Mk3.
    Marlin 357 original JM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac42 View Post
    PEDERSOLI REMINGTON PATTERN CUSTOM 7 7/8 BARREL BLACK POWDER REVOLVER 44CAL at £1162.00
    or UBERTI 1858 Remington at £440.
    Is the £600 for the quality or name.
    both but its still the person behind the trigger that counts......
    check out old ranger on youtube as he groups one just a tad over an inch at 21 yds rested

BP Pistol 1858 Remington

In my opinion Pedersoli better than Uberti, but if you can find one a Hege Revolver is the best, no longer made so would have to be secondhand.

I bought a Pedersoli 1858 probably 15 years ago and its still like new, they are quality items and if looked after will last very well.
    The finish is perhaps a little less attractive but much harder wearing than Uberti or Pietta, the action is still tight as a drum and im still on the original beryllium nipples.
    I never felt the need to do any tuning, (most unusual for me), the trigger and action were perfect and good to go from day one and it has never missed a beat.
    If i was doing it again id still buy the Pedersoli, its a quality item and it was money well spent as far as i am concerned.
    If i couldn't stretch to a new one id be looking for a good second hand Pedersoli rather than a new Uberti.
    I suppose it depends on how seriously you want to get, for an occasional "blatter" it wont make a huge difference but if you want to shoot well the Pedersoli certainly wont hold you back.
    As mentioned above Hege are supposed to be the business but i have never crossed paths with one.
    Last edited by rapidboy1; 26-08-2021 at 10:18 AM.

The Pedersoli is what’s used to set world records in international competitions.

I have one. It had a poor internal finish in the hand slot which needed smoothing out, but it’s been 100% reliable since then. Don’t buy new - I paid like 1/3rd the new price for a boxed, lightly used example.

Remington #10 are by far the best fitting caps for it. Mine will also not ignite reliably with substitutes, but it ignites every shot with black powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Korium View Post
    I have one. It had a poor internal finish in the hand slot which needed smoothing out, but it’s been 100% reliable since then. Don’t buy new - I paid like 1/3rd the new price for a boxed, lightly used example.

Remington #10 are by far the best fitting caps for it. Mine will also not ignite reliably with substitutes, but it ignites every shot with black powder.
    my pietta 1858 uses remington no 11 caps without issue but use cci no11 then they fall into action and jam up.
    dont have any issue using 777 either but some nipples like treso do have very small hole so you may need to enlarge if using subs etc
    Last edited by loiner1965; 04-09-2021 at 10:58 AM.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by Korium View Post

Had the same experience with my ROA (mostly hangfires). A heavier charge of Pyrodex than the straight BP equivalent load worked for me.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL