Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Autumn Bash, 9th and 10th Oct - Event and Payment Details

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post
    Any luck with different pellets Gary?
    FTTs faired well and so did Mosquitos.

New Vector 3 x 9 x32 gone on the 97. It's last chance before the angle grinder
    The HC is coming out to play and probably the Nick G TX200. That one never seems to stay at home
    Marvellous. Have fun and play nice with that 97.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    I'm off to the range in 10 minutes. Will be pellet testing with the 97 as JSB 8.4s are getting hard to source and are currently expensive if you can get them. I'll also be taking the 35 for a bit of .22 fun with the Superdomes.
    If you're ever passing by down the A1, Gary, and are close to Newark, it might be worth trying that little shop I visited on Tuesday.....Caunton Country Supplies.....just a couple of minutes from the A1. Good stock of pellets including the "standard weight" Exacts.. However, with most of my HWs that I've conducted more serious pellet testing with, they seem to actually prefer the FTTs mentioned..

If you haven't tried them already, I'd be giving them a go in .22 as well. Again, the preferred diet in all the HWs I've tested them in after me stubbornly sticking with the Superdome for far too long.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandadG View Post

And a springy sprinkling of colour for the page.

BOING!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    If you're ever passing by down the A1, Gary, and are close to Newark, it might be worth trying that little shop I visited on Tuesday.....Caunton Country Supplies.....just a couple of minutes from the A1. Good stock of pellets including the "standard weight" Exacts.. However, with most of my HWs that I've conducted more serious pellet testing with, they seem to actually prefer the FTTs mentioned..

If you haven't tried them already, I'd be giving them a go in .22 as well. Again, the preferred diet in all the HWs I've tested them in after me stubbornly sticking with the Superdome for far too long.
    Exacts used to be available from £6.40 a tin if you were prepared to buy in bulk but I'm struggling to find them for under a tenner currently.

My old Airwolf liked FTTs but it just preferred Superdomes. I have a few old tins including the above and the FTTs seemed compatible to Exacts accuracy wise. Funnily enough the 97 is die fussy, only liking 44 and 45 but the FTTs are smaller and at 35 yds I can't tell the difference.

My HW35 (.22) likes Superdomes.

It may well be worth trying the .22 FTTs in Georges Remy to see how they compare with the FAPs.

Both FWB Sports (new & old models) like FAPs.

I've yet to try FTTs in the Redwolf but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm now considering another scope swap on the 35. I currently has a 2-7x32 Airmax on it and my ageing eyes are struggling to see where the pellet's going on paper at 35yds so I'm thinking about trying a 3-12x32 Bugbuster on it. Does anyone have any experience of these scopes?

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    If JSR can't help I get my pellets from Sundon Models in Dunstable. Get a reasonable deal from them
    The HW 97 worked well with the new Vector 3 x 9 x 32
    These are fantastic value at £66.00 on special.
    The Steyr boys were well beaten today (first time for a while)
    The HC got its first couple of chalk men but the Nick G was unbeatable at hitting chalk men at 80yds +
    I didn't take the mickey out of them....much
    Pete

A bit more expensive Gary but I love my CP 3x 12 x 32.
    Good reticle for .22
    Pete

A bit more expensive Gary but I love my CP 3x 12 x 32.
    Good reticle for .22
    Thanks Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    Exacts used to be available from £6.40 a tin if you were prepared to buy in bulk but I'm struggling to find them for under a tenner currently.

My old Airwolf liked FTTs but it just preferred Superdomes. I have a few old tins including the above and the FTTs seemed compatible to Exacts accuracy wise. Funnily enough the 97 is die fussy, only liking 44 and 45 but the FTTs are smaller and at 35 yds I can't tell the difference.

My HW35 (.22) likes Superdomes.

It may well be worth trying the .22 FTTs in Georges Remy to see how they compare with the FAPs.

Both FWB Sports (new & old models) like FAPs.

I've yet to try FTTs in the Redwolf but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm now considering another scope swap on the 35. I currently has a 2-7x32 Airmax on it and my ageing eyes are struggling to see where the pellet's going on paper at 35yds so I'm thinking about trying a 3-12x32 Bugbuster on it. Does anyone have any experience of these scopes?
    Pellet prices have certainly risen sharply in recent times, Gary. And not just the JSB derived ones, although they do seem more affected. From information we've had in the past it seems it's down to a combination of factors - Covid, Brexit, supply train issues, the price of lead, the rise in demand in the USA (especially JSB) and general market forces.

Can't comment on those scopes personally, having had no personal experience. Pete's suggestion sounds good. I generally prefer a 32mm objective, but especially if going for higher magnification use at times, I wonder if it might be worth considering some of the 40mm objective scopes, too, like the Panamax and Hawke Vantage?

The HW 97 worked well with the new Vector 3 x 9 x 32
    These are fantastic value at £66.00 on special.
    The Steyr boys were well beaten today (first time for a while)
    The HC got its first couple of chalk men but the Nick G was unbeatable at hitting chalk men at 80yds +
    I didn't take the mickey out of them....much
    Wahay!. Look at you, Petey Boy! Well done that man and those glorious springers!

And no threat of an angle grinder for Hermann's finest!

Can't comment on those scopes personally, having had no personal experience. Pete's suggestion sounds good. I generally prefer a 32mm objective, but especially if going for higher magnification use at times, I wonder if it might be worth considering some of the 40mm objective scopes, too, like the Panamax and Hawke Vantage?
    I'm trying to do it on a budget Tony plus I much prefer the side focus wheel.

I suppose I could go up to a 40mm objective lens which would bring the Athlon Talos 3-12x40 SFP Mil Dot into play but I think it might look a little too big on my old HW35. I have tried a couple of 3-9x40s on it and prefer the Airmax but I'm starting to struggle with that.

Understood, Gary. And, with the low comb, the 35 lends itself to smaller objective / lower mounts, to my mind anyway.

Understood, Gary. And, with the low comb, the 35 lends itself to smaller objective / lower mounts, to my mind anyway.
    I'm still undecided on what to do Tony. I keep selling my little Airmax's and then only go and buy another 12 months down the line.

I like the vector 3 x 9 x 32 but it isn't side focus. Optics Wharehouse have them for £66 on special
    Pete

I like the vector 3 x 9 x 32 but it isn't side focus. Optics Wharehouse have them for £66 on special
    I've just bought the 3-12 Bugbuster and mounted it onto my 35. I've yet to try it at the range but I'm impressed with it upto now for the price.