Thread: 777

Quick question please:

Is Triple 7 an 'explosive' like black powder or a 'propellant' like Pyrodex ?

I though I knew the answer but maybe not...

Steve.

WHAT LICENSE DO I NEED TO BUY HODGDON'S TRIPLE 7 POWDERS?
    Quick answer: You require an Explosives Certificate with the UN number UN0499 listed in order to acquire and keep Triple 7. Refer to last section for ordering information.
    Comprehensive answer: The Triple 7 range of black powder substitutes from Hodgdon are relatively new on the market, and offer an alternative to black powder, particularly for those shooters seeking less smoke and residue, if shooting indoors for example. Hodgdon's range of Triple 7 covers pretty much every calibre of muzzle loading gun, from FFFG grade for pistols, to FFG for rifles and shotguns. Triple 7 is chemically very different to both black powder and Pyrodex, interestingly using a glucose compound rather than charcoal as a fuel, and therefore behaves differently when used in a gun. It is primarily this difference that means Triple 7 powders are classified differently than any other propellant.

Triple 7 (any type) is classified as UN0499, with a hazard type 1.3c. As this UN number falls outside the exemption under Schedule 2 of the Explosives Regulations 2014, it is not specifically exempt, and therefore an Explosives Certificate with UN number UN0499 is required to acquire and keep Triple 7.

For more information on how to get an Explosives Certificate to keep Triple 7, click here.
    Full range of Triple 7 is available here.

I got his off Kranks website,bit of a suprise,I thought it might not be classed as an explosive........wrong

Yes, my friend had just been reading that on Krank's and then asked the question of me.

I do use quite a bit of 777 myself and have never been asked for my Ex. Cert.

My own certificate actually says that the only explosive which may be acquired is UN0027 Black Powder!

But Part 2 of Schedule 2 continues the exemption to "explosives" intended to be used in small arms, so while 777 may not be on the Part 1 list, does the exemption in Part 2 not cover it? I buy 777 without an explosives licence. Perhaps Krank is making it up? I might ask my FEO!

Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
    But Part 2 of Schedule 2 continues the exemption to "explosives" intended to be used in small arms, so while 777 may not be on the Part 1 list, does the exemption in Part 2 not cover it? I buy 777 without an explosives licence. Perhaps Krank is making it up? I might ask my FEO!
    no kranks are telling the truth.....home office is to blame

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    no kranks are telling the truth.....home office is to blame
    All rather confusing then, as from another section of the Kranks website:

"We are stockists of the popular Black Powder substitutes, including Pyrodex P, RS and Select, and Triple7, FFG and FFFG. As these are available without any licensing requirements, these can be shipped to any UK mainland address. All Black Powder substitutes are sold in 1LB containers."

I've also just re-read the thread started by DaveDerrick some weeks ago on the same subject, and I've reapplied for an explosives licence as a result.
    Last edited by severnsider; 30-08-2021 at 07:01 AM.

"We are stockists of the popular Black Powder substitutes, including Pyrodex P, RS and Select, and Triple7, FFG and FFFG. As these are available without any licensing requirements, these can be shipped to any UK mainland address. All Black Powder substitutes are sold in 1LB containers."

I've also just re-read the thread started by DaveDerrick some weeks ago on the same subject, and I've reapplied for an explosives licence as a result.
    Judging by the huge run of BP boxes of late a fair few others have done the same!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Thanks - I missed that earlier post otherwise I wouldn't have brought it up again. I'll phone my firearms dept. tomorrow!