Oof. Slightly easier than 34 chronology but most things are. There has been good input so far on the thread and many angles covered.

I maybe wrong but I thought the 52 was introduced first in late 1986. I think Frank Dyke still had the upper hand as I recall there seemed to be more Originals than Diana or RWS 52"s in the earliest years. Soon there were Firebird 52's also, but I believe this branding as being quite short lived, most being from 1989 until 1992ish. The 48 seemed to be far less common then and it gave me the impression that it was released late. I may be mistaken.

The "Frank Dyke Specials" have the CS walnut stocks and I've always thought they had standard internals. The thumbhole stock is a fair lump of wood and, for me, it makes this variant a range or hide gun. As has been said earlier TO1's had a bit more in the way of steel fittings about them -front sight assembly, trigger blade and guard.

Like a lot of M&G ways and means, I'm not sure there was any rhyme or reason to the 48/52/Classic stampings as these seemed to turn up in many markets. In the UK, its most associated with the Original brand.

The 48B was the main variation in the UK and it later became known as the Black Pro. There were a few variations on the TO5 era 52, mostly based on the stock fitted, 52 Superior and Luxus, but there was a 48 with a stock with an adjustable cheekpiece that I have never seen in the UK. The 52 Ultra Carbine looked very cool and I have only ever seen it in .22. An HC in the thumbhole stock would be something special.

Leaving the 54 aside, the model lives on as the 48 only. Diana continuing to pare back their German made model range.