Thread: Diana 48/52 history

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Good stuff, thanks. As I understand it a Superior had a plain walnut stock, the Luxus had beech (?) but with chequering on the grip and fore-end and a contrasting very dark wood fore end tip. And both are pretty rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Good stuff, thanks. As I understand it a Superior had a plain walnut stock, the Luxus had beech (?) but with chequering on the grip and fore-end and a contrasting very dark wood fore end tip. And both are pretty rare.
    Im not totally sure. I always thought that one had a walnut stock and the other had a plain beech stock "dipped?" to produce a very fancy walnut looking stock with a hint of laminate effect. I do recall the dark wood forend tip though.
    Occasionally, I think about biying a new 48 and fiddlimg with it over time. Im up to my neck in projects I have no time for as it is though.

My original 52 has a chequered pistol grip and fire end and no dark section, so many variations gets confusing!

I have a Diana catalogue that shows the 52 Luxus with a rather nice walnut stock and rather plain coloured to match the stock fore end tip.

Superior Diana models had dipped stocks from the info I've read

The really rare model from Diana could well be the Mod. 46 Stutzen Prestige with walnut stock and carvings in front of the butt pad and hand cut checkering but maybe not that much rarer than a factory walnut stocked 52

And just to add, a slightly scaled down model 48/52 & 54 made for our market would have been a peach of a rifle
    Hw77+7

I have a recollection the 52 variant first arrived in 86 and to cut costs slightly a 48 model with plain stock was introduced a year ish latter ?

Quote Originally Posted by original45 View Post
    I have a recollection the 52 variant first arrived in 86 and to cut costs slightly a 48 model with plain stock was introduced a year ish latter ?
    I have a feeling that my 52 is from 1986 --- I'll have to dig it out and have a look tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I have a feeling that my 52 is from 1986 --- I'll have to dig it out and have a look tomorrow.
    My mistake --- 02 87