Thread: Diana 48/52 history

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Diana 48/52 history

Just wondering if somewhere there is a good detailed timeline history of the Diana 48 and 52. I’ve not seen one.

General

From memory, they were introduced in around 1987-88.

The main model variations over time were the introduction of the TO5 innards in around 2000, and the TO6 ones in 2010-11.

But there were definitely other changes - for example in the design and manner of attachment of the front sight assembly.

For a while (mid 1990s?) there were some black tactical 48s (and 34s). I think one with a bipod and muzzle thing/silencer.

Early ones were marked 48/52. I think that changed later. If so, when?

U.K. variants/customs

I think the early U.K. market “sub-12” guns were rendered that way mostly through a weak spring. At some point M&G decided instead to use the standard export/FAC level spring with a transfer port restrictor (making the guns horrid to shoot).

By the 2000s, there was the 52 carbine, which may have been a U.K.-only model, only or primarily in .22”.

We had the 80s Frank Dyke (Diana importer) specials marked as “Original” and “CLASSIC” in a CS thumbhole. But stock internals (?). And my standard stock 80s 52 is marked the same, and as a 52, not 48/52.

And the “Firebirds”, which were Frank D’s slightly tarted-up versions, with gold-coloured medallions in the grip.

And custom versions by Venom, Ken Turner/Cindy’s Shooting Shop and Manor Firearms. Again, usually in CS TH stocks. Mostly short-stroked, though not all.

So, that’s a start. No guarantee of complete accuracy.

I note that M&G’s website history says that the 48/52 was introduced in 1980. Which is nonsense.

PS - IIRC there were, even in the U.K., a variety of markings: Diana, Original, and RWS.
    Last edited by Geezer; 09-09-2021 at 11:30 PM.